Other Resources My Cup of Joe » video / security cameras on property Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-02 1:15 PM

Veteran
Subject: video / security cameras on property
I own a 4 story residential apt building and want to install some cameras. If I want to transmit remotely,do I assume I wiFi is the best (i.e. cheapest route)? Copying to a dvr in the building would probably suffice, but if remote access isn't too costly, I'd consider it. Will need multiple cameras: 1-2 outside, 1 in lobby and possibly 1-2 elsewhere. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? Thanks

2014-01-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: big joe

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: video / security cameras on property

Originally posted by big joe I own a 4 story residential apt building and want to install some cameras. If I want to transmit remotely,do I assume I wiFi is the best (i.e. cheapest route)? Copying to a dvr in the building would probably suffice, but if remote access isn't too costly, I'd consider it. Will need multiple cameras: 1-2 outside, 1 in lobby and possibly 1-2 elsewhere. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? Thanks

tuwood is your man......in fact, he's probably already flown a drone over your building and can spec it out pretty quick.   

2014-01-02 6:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
"1-2 elsewhere"

Is this the confession thread?
2014-01-02 7:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
I've been using the Q-see cameras from Costco.

The DVR holds about 6 days of video and I can access it from my mobile device at home. You can also set up motion alerts so that I get a text if there's motion around a door etc. Oh there's an app that allows you to tap into it and you can see what every camera can see.
2014-01-02 10:51 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Sorry, had a busy day at work today.    My company sells and installs IP video surveillance systems for businesses.

When you say transmit remotely are you referring to getting it on a mobile device/remote pc type stuff or are you talking about consolidating the traffic wirelessly back to a main building on premise?

2014-01-03 12:50 PM

Veteran

Tuwood: I am talking about remotely getting it back to a mobile device and/or a PC in a completely different location.

joestop74 : how do you access the DVR with the Costco system?

Thanks

2014-01-03 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by big joe Tuwood: I am talking about remotely getting it back to a mobile device and/or a PC in a completely different location. joestop74 : how do you access the DVR with the Costco system? Thanks

ok, you can do this through a standard consumer grade internet connection.  Wireless networking will only get you a few thousand feet away at best.

So, a typical set up for an environment like yours would be to have a Network Video Recorder (NVR) located at the building with the cameras wired to a central network there.  Basically entails running Cat 6 cabling to each camera and putting a power over Ethernet (POE) switch with the NVR.  The cameras all record HD video to the NVR, and you can typically set them to either record full time or only when motion is detected.

Most newer camera systems then have software that you can view that server remotely with a reduced bandwidth stream.  For example on my phone using a free app for my cameras I can view them real time from anywhere but it's only pulling 40kbps per video camera.  It's a grainy image, but I can see what's going on.  If I want to look at something HD I just select the time range and download the HD video for that slice which takes a little longer.

I then have another stream that's 200kbps per camera that I can watch all three cameras full time on my desktop PC.  These images are actually quite good, but are less than HD.  My home internet has a 5MB upstream cap, so the 600kbps easily fits in the bandwidth budget.

My company mostly sells Vivotek cameras, which run between $$600-$800 per camera for outdoor fixed domes/bullets and a little over $1k for PTZ ones.  Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you anything, just giving you an idea of the ones we sell.  

You can get lower cost solutions such as best/buy Costco type stuff, but they don't last very long and depending on your environmental conditions can have issues with the cold.  You also have to keep in mind that assuming something bad happens you may need the cameras to identify somebody.  If you can't even tell if it's a male or a female on the camera, they're not much of a help to the police.

2014-01-04 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
We also have the Q-see cameras we got at Costco - 6 to be exact. It records to the DVR in the basement but I can access remotely from my pc or app on phone (and yes get text or email alerts) the camera basically has it's own web address so I type it in and can access it from anywhere AND it's password protected
2014-01-04 10:51 PM

Veteran
thanks, good information...
2014-01-05 1:48 PM

User image

http://www.ipcamprice.com/wansview-h264-megapixel-outdoor-ip-camera...

I just 4 of these cameras last week. No need for dvr, it can record video with sd card directly.
2014-01-05 6:06 PM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by wwlani

We also have the Q-see cameras we got at Costco - 6 to be exact. It records to the DVR in the basement but I can access remotely from my pc or app on phone (and yes get text or email alerts) the camera basically has it's own web address so I type it in and can access it from anywhere AND it's password protected

This big joe

2014-01-09 8:22 AM

Veteran
hmmm... the Costco O (or BJ's solutions),..look interesting and more in line with my budge. Tuwood, I'll take your advice though and make sure there is enough clarity to identify someone, if need be. It's mostly for indoor, lighted area, not too big of an area, though I will have one outdoor.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » video / security cameras on property Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Smart Phones Video Camera

Started by travljini
Views: 850 Posts: 5

2011-08-08 1:16 PM mrbbrad

Outdoor video cameras

Started by ironannekidd
Views: 592 Posts: 2

2010-12-18 2:10 AM mdg2003

video camera etiquette

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1511 Posts: 6

2008-02-23 7:32 PM psycofish

Digital Video Camera

Started by Opus
Views: 626 Posts: 11

2007-01-05 3:31 PM jwright

Digital camera - photo and video editing ?'s

Started by auto208562
Views: 932 Posts: 18

2006-08-18 3:34 PM morey1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : May 17, 2007
Not your typical review, but a review nonetheless. The first thing we triathletes need before any training can be contemplated is COFFEE! Learn how to make espresso for early morning workouts.
date : June 29, 2006
The following instructions make it easy to record and upload your triathlon and race videos to your albums.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Tricep Pushdown-Cable strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.