General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finding a Better Bike Saddle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-07 6:30 PM

User image

Seneca, South Carolina
Subject: Finding a Better Bike Saddle
I'm looking for a good blog post or YouTube video to help me in my search for a new, more comfortable road bike saddle.

Thanks,

2014-01-07 8:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Finding a Better Bike Saddle
There are lots of good saddles out there, but its one of those things where what works for one person may be very different from what works for others.

This is once instance where it might be a good idea to head over to your LBS and have them help you through some of your options.

Are you having specific issues with your current saddle?

Edited by JZig 2014-01-07 8:30 PM
2014-01-07 10:12 PM
in reply to: NCmtnborn76

User image

Expert
Broadlands

There are loads of discussions on here, and also some pretty good reviews of saddles, go to Gear/Reviews hit search and look for saddles.

As previously asked, any specific issue with the current saddle?  Numbness, soreness, rubbing etc?

considering where the point of contact is for our saddles, fit here is really quite important :-)  If you can then try a couple out at the store, but I have also found that trying something for a short ride or even two, doesn't always prove out in the long term, it may give you a better chance of finding something though.  Also if you describe your current issues to the LBS they may have some good recommendations etc.

if you don't get your answers on here and can't get to the LBS, bike radar does some good reviews too.

2014-01-08 9:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-08 12:44 PM

Pro

I don't see anything in your logs, so hard to determine how much riding you've been doing.  If you're new with the cycling thing, and your sit bones hurt- it's likely not the saddle.  It's you.  Plan on riding consistently for a few months to get your body used to that pressure.  

but- you could start with a Tom Demerly article:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/saddlecomfort.shtml

2014-01-08 1:19 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Some bike shops will let you try saddles for a few days. Maybe check around to see if that is an option for you.

2014-01-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: tkos

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by tkos Often it is the saddle, but sometimes it is the rest of the fit that is the issue. Seat height, distance to handle bars. Saddles are also completely individual. 

Good advice.  Make sure your bike is set up well for you first.  Then begin the trial and error process of demoing saddles, if still necessary.

2014-01-08 6:25 PM

Like everyone else said, get a fit to make sure the saddle is the problem. Have your sit bones measured in the process so you try the right width saddle when you get to that step.

That said, I'm loving my Ergon SR3. I have pretty wide sit bones, so my options are limited. Ergon is one of the few that makes a truly wide saddle.
2014-01-08 8:28 PM

Seneca, South Carolina
Thanks for the input guys. As usual I may not have provided enough information. Let me take another run at this. I have been riding about 3 years now. I try to ride or use the trainer 3 times a week. My current saddle is a Selle Royal Seta, I have discomfort and numbness after about 40 minutes of riding and have to get out of the saddle for pressure relief and then again at intervals on a long ride. I ride a road bike. I'm a big guy 5' 11" 240 lbs. I have had a bike fit. I've been to my LBS they weren't able to give me much help. So I'm going to try a couple saddles and write a blog post about my experiences.

Thanks again,
2014-01-09 11:05 AM

Ahhh. OK. Has the numbness always been a problem, or is this something new?

You and I are about the same size, and the only time I've had a problem like that is if the nose of my saddle is too high.

Good luck with your search. I'll reiterate my love for my Ergon. They're new to road saddles, but I'm happy with it. Did a century shortly after I put it on, and my butt was the least of my worries.
2014-01-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: rjames91

Sensei
Sin City

Not something I would do - not in my personality.  BUT, performance bike in the internet has a great return exchange policy.  I have known guys that get a saddle, try it for a couple weeks, exchange and try a new one and repeat...  Something like 6-12 saddles they tried.

Personally, I don't think I'm that "sensitive" to a saddle.  I honestly think you could sit on a 2x4 if the fit is good...  (I exaggerate).  I have used the stock saddles on all my bikes with no issues.  I did, however, purchase an Adamo BEFORE I figured out the fit thing.  Partly because it seemed it would be more comfortable and help with a numbness thing AND they were all the rage and cool looking.  It honestly cause a bit more  problems until I zip tied the nose closer together.

Sorry I don't have a real answer - just sharing my experience.

2014-01-09 12:49 PM

Expert
Most local bike shops have loaner saddles you can get and try out. This may or may not require a deposit. I tried out 3 different saddles before settling on the Cobb V-Flow. Because of your bike, riding position, etc there is really no way of knowing what saddle will work for sure. Even once you find the right saddle there will be time spent dialing it in for a good fit.
2014-01-09 12:53 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by NCmtnborn76

Thanks for the input guys. As usual I may not have provided enough information. Let me take another run at this. I have been riding about 3 years now. I try to ride or use the trainer 3 times a week. My current saddle is a Selle Royal Seta, I have discomfort and numbness after about 40 minutes of riding and have to get out of the saddle for pressure relief and then again at intervals on a long ride. I ride a road bike. I'm a big guy 5' 11" 240 lbs. I have had a bike fit. I've been to my LBS they weren't able to give me much help. So I'm going to try a couple saddles and write a blog post about my experiences.

Thanks again,

I too get serious numbness when I ride my trainer, and about at that point into the ride as well. I have a road bike on my trainer that I don't often ride outdoors. I have an Adamo Saddle on my tri bike that I've never experienced any numbness with. Might be worth looking at.
2014-01-09 9:36 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

Seneca, South Carolina
Appreciate the info. You've certainly given me some ideas and saddles to follow up on. I'll be writing about my search for a better saddle on my blog.

Cheers,
2014-01-10 8:05 AM

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Not really much more to add. Everyone has hit the "high" points:

Numbness usually = fit = adjustment = LBS/fitter

I rode a similar saddle for some time and longer distance rides provided some numbness, even after my fit. I swapped over to an Adamo Racing, then Racing II, saddle and I no longer experience the numberness on 100+mi rides. Again, as stated previously, I'd hit your LBS up for "Test" saddles. I'd rather pay a small fee that can usually be applied to the purchase of a saddle, rather than spend $200 only to find out it isn't what you are looking for.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finding a Better Bike Saddle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

entry bike good wheels good bike ok wheels

Started by mlanahan
Views: 1117 Posts: 5

2012-01-21 4:23 PM rdailey1

Help finding good bike fitter

Started by za29
Views: 914 Posts: 5

2009-06-01 6:09 PM KathyG

Good way to find MHR?

Started by Snailfish
Views: 887 Posts: 9

2008-06-11 10:35 AM Snailfish

#where can I find a good triathlon coach?

Started by Jeff Brisley
Views: 2599 Posts: 15

2004-12-27 11:06 AM Sub10IM

Finding a good running store....

Started by joscon
Views: 1048 Posts: 10

2004-03-14 7:53 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.
date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
BT'ers vote on all of their favorite products, sites and people. See results for the sports of swim, bike, run and triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.