Other Resources The Political Joe » Break up the big banks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-09 1:02 PM
in reply to: SGirl

Veteran
Subject: RE: Break up the big banks
you make a great point. The upper management of these banks make so much money, even if JP Morgan closed, they'd likely have a few million stashed away. They may not have the grandiose lifestyle of the super-rich (though some will), but they'll be okay. The poor people in Middle and Back Office jobs will be hurt despite no knowledge or participation. I

I might have to disagree about the investors being hurt. JP Morgan stock price continues to climb. I realize the Dow is strong too, but you'd think all of the fines and uncertaintly would hinder JPM, but not yet. I guess the investors of JPM's clients might be getting hurt due to them over-paying for many securities.

2014-01-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: big joe

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You don't put them in prison, you don't shoot them... the solution is "The Pain"!

2014-01-11 8:14 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

Park Ridge
LB, one problem with these s-bags paying the money back as I see it is they will just stop working. I would guess that all those guys have sheltered enough cash to live out their days without working again. I know this is just wishful thinking but how about this, they go somewhere to make little rocks out off big rocks if they don't make their quota for the day they have to go into the general prison population. The best part of this is that rock breaking will be televised, the newest reality TV show. Proceeds of the show would go to compensate victims but the entertainment value would benefit all Americans, even bankers.
2014-01-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pumpkin31 LB, one problem with these s-bags paying the money back as I see it is they will just stop working. I would guess that all those guys have sheltered enough cash to live out their days without working again. I know this is just wishful thinking but how about this, they go somewhere to make little rocks out off big rocks if they don't make their quota for the day they have to go into the general prison population. The best part of this is that rock breaking will be televised, the newest reality TV show. Proceeds of the show would go to compensate victims but the entertainment value would benefit all Americans, even bankers.

Nope.  Prison shouold be for violent offenders......and it should be able to keep those offenders forever.  We need room in our prisons to keep violent offenders out of society.  I don't care what kindof sanctions you put on these financial criminals, but keep them out of our prisons because that doesn't accomplish anything except some mob mentality idea of retribution......and who really cares about that?

2014-01-11 8:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Park Ridge
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by pumpkin31 LB, one problem with these s-bags paying the money back as I see it is they will just stop working. I would guess that all those guys have sheltered enough cash to live out their days without working again. I know this is just wishful thinking but how about this, they go somewhere to make little rocks out off big rocks if they don't make their quota for the day they have to go into the general prison population. The best part of this is that rock breaking will be televised, the newest reality TV show. Proceeds of the show would go to compensate victims but the entertainment value would benefit all Americans, even bankers.

Nope.  Prison shouold be for violent offenders......and it should be able to keep those offenders forever.  We need room in our prisons to keep violent offenders out of society.  I don't care what kindof sanctions you put on these financial criminals, but keep them out of our prisons because that doesn't accomplish anything except some mob mentality idea of retribution......and who really cares about that?

I know you are right but a guy can dream. In all seriousness the penalties for these financial crimes need to have some bite. I guess this would bring the value of deterrence into the equation. I think that deterrence would work with this class of criminal, these guys have choices that you average violent offender does not have. That is just a guess as far violent offenders go. I work in finance and really see these guys like Jamie Dimon, Lloyd Blankfein, Angelo Mozilo, Jon Corzine et all are evil incarnate because their crimes are so far reaching and do real harm to a lot of people.
2014-01-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by pumpkin31

I know you are right but a guy can dream. In all seriousness the penalties for these financial crimes need to have some bite. I guess this would bring the value of deterrence into the equation. I think that deterrence would work with this class of criminal, these guys have choices that you average violent offender does not have. That is just a guess as far violent offenders go. I work in finance and really see these guys like Jamie Dimon, Lloyd Blankfein, Angelo Mozilo, Jon Corzine et all are evil incarnate because their crimes are so far reaching and do real harm to a lot of people.

I have a solution. If you say are colluding on forex markets, along with your fine, you are now banned from trading int he forex markets. You got a fine for market manipulation in the LIBOR? You are banned from trading in that market. Mortgage fraud? Banned from the lending market. Soon they won't be able to participate in enough areas that they will have to shape up.

2014-01-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by pumpkin31

I have a solution. If you say are colluding on forex markets, along with your fine, you are now banned from trading int he forex markets. You got a fine for market manipulation in the LIBOR? You are banned from trading in that market. Mortgage fraud? Banned from the lending market. Soon they won't be able to participate in enough areas that they will have to shape up.

I can get behind that, as long as some percentage of what they make in income, for the rest of their lives, is used to pay back people they screwed.....or is paid as fines for the rest of their lives. 

2014-02-10 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Boise
Here's someone silly trying to sue over all of this. Don't they know they can't win?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-10/jpmorgan-sued-crony-justic...

Highlights From A Decade of Illegal Conduct by JP Morgan Chase

United States v. JPMorgan Case Bank, NA, No-1:14-cr-7 (S.D.N.Y. Jan 8, 2014) ($1.7 billion criminal penalty); In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., OCC Admin. Proceeding No. AA-EC-13-109 (Jan. 7, 2014) ($350 million civil penalty); In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., Dept. of the Treasury Financial Crimes Enforcement Network Admin. Proceeding No. 2014-1 (Jan. 7, 2014) ($461 million civil penalty) (all for violations of law arising from the bank’s role in connection with Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme, the largest in the history of the U.S.);

In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., CFTC Admin. Proceeding No. 14-01 (Oct. 16, 2013) ($100 million civil penalty); In re JPMorgan Chase & Co., SEC Admin. Proceeding No. 3-15507 (Sept. 19, 2013) ($200 million civil penalty); In re JPMorgan Chase & Co., Federal Reserve Board Admin. Proceeding No. 13-031-CMP-HC (Sept. 18, 2013) ($200 million civil penalty); UK Financial Conduct Authority, Final Notice to JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. (Sept. 18, 2013) (£137.6 million ($221 million) penalty); In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., OCC Admin. Proceeding No. AA-EC-2013-75, #2013-140 (Sept. 17, 2013) ($300 million civil penalty) (all for violations of federal law in connection with the proprietary trading losses sustained by JP Morgan Chase in connection with the high risk derivatives bet referred to as the “London Whale”);

In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., CFPB Admin. Proceeding No. 2013-CFPB-0007 (Sept. 19, 2013) ($20 million civil penalty and $309 million refund to customers); In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., OCC Admin. Proceeding No. AA-EC-2013-46 (Sept. 18, 2013) ($60 million civil penalty) (both for violations in connection with JP Morgan Chase’s billing practices and fraudulent sale of so-called Identity Protection Products to customers);
In Re Make-Whole Payments and Related Bidding Strategies, FERC Admin. Proceeding Nos. IN11-8-000, IN13-5-000 (July 30, 2013) (civil penalty of $285 million and disgorgement of $125 million for energy market manipulation);

SEC v. J.P. Morgan Sec. LLC, No. 12-cv-1862 (D.D.C. Jan. 7, 2013) ($301 million in civil penalties and disgorgement for improper conduct related to offerings of mortgage-backed securities);

In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., CFTC Admin. Proceeding No. 12-37 (Sept. 27, 2012) ($600,000 civil penalty for violations of the Commodities Exchange Act relating to trading in excess of position limits);

In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., CFTC Admin. Proceeding No. 12-17 (Apr. 4, 2012) ($20 million civil penalty for the unlawful handling of customer segregated funds relating to the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc.);

United States v. Bank of America, No. 12-cv-00361 (D.D.C. 2012) (for foreclosure and mortgage-loan servicing abuses during the Financial Crisis, with JP Morgan Chase paying $5.3 billion in monetary and consumer relief);

In re JPMorgan Chase & Co., Federal Reserve Board Admin. Proceeding No. 12-009-CMP-HC (Feb. 9, 2012) ($275 million in monetary relief for unsafe and unsound practices in residential mortgage loan servicing and foreclosure processing);

SEC v. J.P. Morgan Sec. LLC, No. 11-cv-03877 (D.N.J. July 7, 2011) ($51.2 million in civil penalties and disgorgement); In re JPMorgan Chase & Co., Federal Reserve Board Admin. Proceeding No. 11-081-WA/RB-HC (July 6, 2011) (compliance plan and corrective action requirements); In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., OCC Admin. Proceeding No. AA-EC-11-63 (July 6, 2011) ($22 million civil penalty) (all for anticompetitive practices in connection with municipal securities transactions);

SEC v. J.P. Morgan Sec., LLC, No. 11-cv-4206 (S.D.N.Y. June 21, 2011) ($153.6 million in civil penalties and disgorgement for violations of the securities laws relating to misleading investors in connection with synthetic collateralized debt obligations);

In re JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., OCC Admin. Proceeding No. AA-EC-11-15, #2011-050 (Apr. 13, 2011) (consent order mandating compliance plan and other corrective action resulting from unsafe and unsound mortgage servicing practices);

In re J.P. Morgan Sec. Inc., SEC Admin. Proceeding No. 3-13673 (Nov. 4, 2009) ($25 million civil penalty for violations of the securities laws relating to the Jefferson County derivatives trading and bribery scandal);

In re JP Morgan Chase & Co, Attorney General of the State of NY Investor Protection Bureau, Assurance of Discontinuance Pursuant to Exec. Law §63(15) (June 2, 2009) ($25 million civil penalty for misrepresenting risks associated with auction rate securities);

In re JPMorgan Chase & Co., SEC Admin. Proceeding No. 3-13000 (Mar. 27, 2008) ($1.3 million civil disgorgement for violations of the securities laws relating to JPM’s role as asset-backed indenture trustee to certain special purpose vehicles);

In re J.P. Morgan Sec. Inc., SEC Admin. Proceeding No. 3-11828 (Feb. 14, 2005) ($2.1 million in civil fines and penalties for violations of Securities Act record-keeping requirements); and
SEC v. J.P. Morgan Securities Inc., 03-cv-2939 (WHP) (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 28, 2003) ($50 million in civil penalties and disgorgements as part of a global settlement for research analyst conflict of interests).

Edited by JoshR 2014-02-10 1:36 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Break up the big banks Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.