General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fitting in Chicago Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-24 1:47 PM

Subject: Bike Fitting in Chicago
Hey everyone! So I am doing my first HIM this summer and I would like to get a good bike fitting. However with the HIM entry and all of the other races I would appreciate not spending too much - while I do realize I want to get more than a LBS $40-50 fitting. I have a cyclocross bike that I have used for Olympic and Sprints. Since I am not going for any medals/records I don't really need to buy a fancy tri bike so I just want to see if there are any adjustments I can do to mine to help handle the 56 miles. Maybe add clip on aeros.

Any recommendations? I know Elements Multi-Sport does them for $200 but was hoping for closer to $125 or $150.

Thanks!
Hannah

2014-01-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: TriSlate

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Bike Fitting in Chicago
I would recommend Running Away Multisport, but it's probably over-kill for your situation and budget. They do credit the fit price against a bike purchase, which is nice. Brian there did my fit, and I'm pretty happy with it.

That being said, the geometry of a cross bike is so different from a road bike or tri bike, I'm not sure you could comfortably set it up with aerobars, and even if you could, if you would want to - it's a lot of compromise. It's not even a matter of stack/reach adjustments - my cross bike just fits differently - more compact setup, shorter top tube, shorter stem, narrower handlebars. It's comparing a Jeep to a Corvette.
2014-01-27 2:00 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

agreed on the different geometry of a cross bike. Am not sure if there are changes to it that would help. Main reason why I want a really good bike fitting. Even if I have to go the $200 elements route. I do think I want to replace my stem with a flatter longer one. Annoying thing is that it had a lower/flatter one to start but at the last minute they recommended and swapped it out when I purchased it. As it was my first good bike purchase I didn't realize what they were doing and just assumed that they did it for a reason.

While a new bike would be amazing - I definitely can't afford it or have the room to store it!
2014-01-28 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Wheaton, IL
I commend you for knowing how important a good fit is, regardless of the style of bike that you will training/racing on.

I ride with a cycling team in the Western suburbs and collectively we have been fitted by nearly a dozen local shops. The shop that has consistently received the best reviews is Get-A-Grip. My friend recently went for a 3 bike fitting since he rides road, tris, and cyclecross.

Good luck with your training.
2014-01-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: simply2fab

Brian from Element emailed me a price of $300.00. I want to buy a tri bike but am not sure I am ready to plunk down $300 to find out my optimal tri bike especially if I'm not gonna buy it from them. Anyone else know of a reputable area fitter that is cheaper?
2014-01-31 11:29 AM
in reply to: simply2fab

Thanks! Am definitely a bit nervous for the half but excited too. Have a good group I will be training with which helps!

Will give Get-a-Grip a call and find out their pricing/scheduling.

2014-01-31 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

I go to GAG for all of my bike stuff - highly recommended! However, if I recall, it's about $300 for the fitting - free if you buy a bike through them.

2014-02-11 5:34 PM

User image

If you go to the slowtwich site they have a page where you can find some fitters. I agree $300 is tough to shed out. I
2014-02-13 9:18 PM

User image

The Performance Bike store in Naperville has a guy, think his name is Brian, that does really good fittings. They only charge like $60-$75 IIRC since they don't have fancy lasers or anything
2015-07-20 6:38 PM
in reply to: Hypsy13

User image

New Lenox, Illinois
Bumping a somewhat old thread, but have the same question and want to make sure the information is still current. I did some searching and have found a few various sources, and many of them point to Get A Grip cycles and/or Element Multisport. Are these still two of the top places in the area? I was hoping to not spend a ton, but if I have to dish out a few hundred bucks (x2 - for the wife, as well!) to get a good fit, then it is what it is.

We haven't been professionally fit, our 'fit' consisted of us getting on bikes that looked like the right size, the LBS owner tweaking the seat height and angle of handlebars a little, then saying "yep that size is perfect", so I imagine (and from what I've read) that getting a professional fit with the specialized equipment would be beneficial.
2015-07-20 9:02 PM
in reply to: dlaude6

I haven't used them, but maybe give Live Grit in the West Loop a look?

2015-07-21 4:18 PM

User image

Chicago, Colorado
Live Grit is a great shop. Didn't get a bike fit from them, but I did one group ride with them on a weekend, and the staff remembered me the next summer when I stopped by. The owner and staff are class acts. I'm sure a fit from there would be well worth the money.

Another shop in the city, Mox Multisport, is also worth checking out. Again, no fitting from them, but bought my first wetsuit from them and the lady I worked with was super helpful in explaining the different price points and what I would gain from each, as well as sizing, and what to do in case of a tear or something like that.

Let us know how it goes!
2015-07-22 12:25 PM
in reply to: cjohns716

User image

New Lenox, Illinois
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've read a few things that are somewhat conflicting - are bike fits a "pay for what you get" type of thing, or will all places be able to do to the job, regardless of price? I don't want to overspend if I don't have to, but I don't want to have to do it twice.

It may be worth noting that neither my wife nor I suffer from any sort of pain during or after rides (longest being 56 miles/3.5 hours), but we do get sore bottoms when we're on the saddle a while. I imagine that will fade over time, as it has already faded greatly since we recently got into triathlons.
2015-07-22 2:26 PM

User image

Chicago, Colorado
In my experience, there are two kinds of bike fit. The "I already have a bike, make it fit me" and the "I don't have a bike, fit me and I'll buy a bike based on the results"

If I had to guess, the former is cheaper than the latter. They will be adjusting saddle height, stem length, things like that in order to adjust the bike to fit you within the confines of the frame dimensions.

The latter is probably more expensive, and in most cases, the cost can be put towards the cost of a new bike.

As far as paying for what you get, I think that is absolutely true. Anyone can put you on a bike and adjust it fairly close, by sight. If you really want to be in the best position possible, be prepared to spend a couple hundred each.

2015-07-22 5:59 PM
in reply to: cjohns716

User image

Elite
Chicago
The other thing to consider is as you become more fit and flexible your bike fit will need to change to remain optimal so if you go to a place to spend $200 for a fit (or whatever the cost) talk to them about refitting in the future for a discount. I found it best to go back to the same person who fit you to do a refit as they will remember you and you'll have a more bespoke service provided (in my experience).

Power to aero ratio is the trade off during a bike fit so if they use a powermeter during the bike fit you know you have a good fitter you can use in future fittings.

Just my $0.02.

good luck!
2015-07-29 3:03 PM

I was the original poster and ended up getting fitted at BFF Bikes on Belmont. They had a much more affordable rate (around $150 or so) and money was an issue for me. If I were to buy a new tri bike and do full aerobars etc I would probably spend more but I just needed to get some adjustments made because I knew there were issues with my fit. They put me on a trainer and watched me from many angles. They swapped my handlebar stem for one that was longer and flatter, adjusted where my brakes and gears sat on the handlebars, and adjusted my seat. my pedals and cleats were all good. It made a huge difference! So I guess it depends on the bike (if you have one vs buying one) and what your goals are.

2015-07-30 9:38 AM

User image

New Lenox, Illinois
Cool, thanks for checking back in! Good points, thanks. Some of your points about knowing you had issues with your fit is why I'm so on the fence about my wife and I getting fit - we're both comfortable on our bikes. No I'm sure they're not perfect but we're able to ride 56 miles without issue (have not tried longer yet). Does BFF Bikes have any fancy computer equipment? Or did they at that time. By the sounds of it, no. If/when we do end up getting fit, I wouldn't mind spending a little more for the fancy computer tech stuff, but I want to know it's a good fit and not just paying for the fancy stuff. Money isn't a huge issue, just better used in other places (CC bill) for us for the next few weeks. We only have 1 more race this season so maybe we'll wait it out and get fit early next season when money isn't so snug.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fitting in Chicago Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hilton Chicago and the Chicago Oly

Started by myred86
Views: 1309 Posts: 3

2011-08-09 3:15 PM Spyder34

Ragnar Relay Chicago (Madison WI to Chicago IL)

Started by Renee
Views: 3030 Posts: 3

2010-12-11 3:19 PM TeddieMao

Chicago Tri/Chicago Marathon

Started by Decatur217
Views: 2234 Posts: 13

2009-05-15 4:33 PM JustRunFaster

Chicago Area Bike Fit

Started by CKinsey
Views: 1482 Posts: 10

2008-05-01 4:25 PM IdealMuse

Chicago/Burbs bike shops

Started by PastaGrrrl
Views: 1245 Posts: 5

2006-02-10 4:14 PM mmckinley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.