of 2

2014-01-24 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: IM Boulder

So who from Colorado is officially in?

What training plan are you using?

What are your race day / race course concerns?

I'm giving Endurance Nation a try and am in their outseason plan right now. 

I think the course looks great and is fair.  The bike won't be crazy hard by any stretch and the run looks relatively flat and well shaded.  I love the idea of running through Boulder along the creek with lots of spectators, though I am worried about congestion on the trail.  The downtown finish should be amazing (without getting ahead of myself).  I do have serious concerns about the logistics of the swim at Boulder Res.  I've seen big traffic issues just going to an IronKids race, let alone 2500 people for the Ironman.  I sincerely hope they have plans in place come race day so everyone gets to the starting line in time.  Heat and monsoon rains are of concern as well...

2014-01-26 5:36 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: IM Boulder
So who from Colorado is officially in? I'm in this will be my first IM, I did the Boulder 70.3 last year.

What training plan are you using? I am using the Huddle/Frey plan. I picked up the book a while back, it looks pretty straight forward.

What are your race day / race course concerns? Like you first the crowds. There was a huge line to get into the park at 6:00 last year for the 70.3, it will be almost twice as long for the IM. Also, how crowded will the run course get with 2500 people running two laps on an out and back path? Second the weather, it was HOT for the run last August 4th and there is always the possibility if heavy rain/wind that time of the year.

Overall I think that the course won't be too hard and the bike leg should be fast. Hopefully the shade along the Boulder Creek path will make it a lot cooler than running around the reservoir where there is no shade at all.

I am looking forward to the challenge!
2014-02-03 9:26 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I'm from Colorado and I'm in. My second iron distance. Right now I really have to concerns other than getting myself in shape. Which right now doesn't seem likes it's going to happen. I just don't have the motivation right now. I developed my own 15-week training plan when I did Redman back in 2009. So my goals is to be up to 10-hours a week traing and then build out to a max of 17. Most of my effort will be with the bike. Anyway, I think boulder is a first class city for an IM. I'm really looking forward to the challenge!
2014-02-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Only race I'm signed up for this year so far (until I find some work again).

I coach myself (and others occasionally)

Major race day concern is a bike mechanical (had one at Louisville last year that took over an hour to fix). That, and swimming over an hour. (I thrive in hot weather)

The bike course will be very fast, and it happens to fit my strengths very well. I'm looking forward to it. The run will be tougher and slower than it looks. That gradient is deceptive in many areas.
2014-02-09 12:03 PM

I'm pretty bummed that I wasn't able to get in the Boulder Ironman this year but I'm planning on volunteering so I have a better shot of getting in it next year. I'll be doing other races to stay in shape though!
2014-02-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: architec_brian

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by architec_brian I'm pretty bummed that I wasn't able to get in the Boulder Ironman this year but I'm planning on volunteering so I have a better shot of getting in it next year. I'll be doing other races to stay in shape though!

What happened?  I think the race took 2-3 weeks to sell out...

2014-02-23 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I heard a rumor that IM Boulder has approx. 4,000 participants registered. That can't be confirmed though. WTC did say that IM Boulder has more registered participants than any other IM event in history
2014-02-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Dino019 I heard a rumor that IM Boulder has approx. 4,000 participants registered. That can't be confirmed though. WTC did say that IM Boulder has more registered participants than any other IM event in history

Man I hope not.  Even with your typical 10% DNS, that's way too many people for the swim and run.

BTW Dino, how did IMAZ go last year?

2014-02-26 11:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I went okay for my first IM. I finished in 12:54, which was my plan B. My plan A was sub 12:00. I'm glad I got to experience a mass IM start, since we don't get that chance anywhere in Colorado.

The swim was crowded. I started in the middle-ish. I was confident I could swim 1:10-1:15. I ended up swimming 1:27. I couldn't find open water for more than 2min at a time. I kept coming up on people that over-seeded themselves.

The bike was where I expected to be. I did the bike in 6:01, with 3 stops. My goal was 5:45-6:00. First stop was right after I got onto Rio Salado, from the sidewalk. My speed/cadence sensor got knocked loosed by the person next to me in T1. I adjusted it and it synced with my Garmin watch, but slipped back again about 1min later. So I was forced to go strictly off heart rate, instead of speed + HR. Second stop was at special needs to refill nutrition and hit the porta potty...........which, by the way, was a little annoying. Only 2 porta potties at Special Needs and 4-5 porta potties at every other bike aid station = 6-7min wait at S.N. My third stop was another porta potty stop on the way back into town on the 3rd loop....at the special needs area again. No line that time. I would've peed on the bike at the point, but I was out of water and couldn't hold it until the next aid station ad snag a water bottle to rinse off.

The run....well.....the run is my nemesis. Was doing well up until mile 18. I walked every aid station. But as soon as I tried to start running after the aid station at mile 18, my legs were just done. I did the 2min jog/1min walk to the mile 19 aid station. At that point I just couldn't muster more than a brisk walk. Although, as soon as I hit mile 26 and heard the music and saw the lights of the finisher chute, all the pain/tiredness was magically gone and I ran the last 0.2.

I'm volunteering for Boulder this year. I think I'm going to be snagging bikes at T2. I promised the wife that I wouldn't do another IM until both kids were in school. So it will be 3yrs before I get to do Boulder.......unless she changes her mind before then

2014-03-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Extreme Veteran
Where did you sign up to volunteer? I'd like to- but I have to catch a plan for work that afternoon- so could only do early morning. I live really close to the res so- so could probably figure out something.
2014-03-18 10:53 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
Denver
I haven't officially signed up to volunteer,yet. My brother-in-law is a teacher/coach at Boulder High School and he's the "leader" of a group of students/athletes. He asked me if I wanted to help him out. I said yes, of course. So I am in his volunteer group

2014-04-25 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
100 days from today, time is going by quickly.

The Boulder 70.3 is 51 days from today.
2014-05-01 10:08 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Denver, CO
I'm in. Boulder will be my first full. I've done the 70.3 twice and last time I swore that I was never ever going to do it ever again, mostly because of how hot and miserable the run was. So it makes perfect sense that I not only signed up for the full, but the whole series, right? Sigh. I've never followed a training plan for a triathlon before (half-marathons and marathons, yes, tris, no), but I signed up with a coach. I'm paying enough money for this that I want to make sure I do it right so that I'm not miserable the whole time!

I can't believe we're under 100 days already...
2014-05-01 10:44 PM
in reply to: trimama530

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I'm volunteering at the finish this year so if you finish after 2 p.m., I will gladly hand you a t-shirt and hang a medal around your neck!
2014-05-08 8:38 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Originally posted by tedjohn

I'm volunteering at the finish this year so if you finish after 2 p.m., I will gladly hand you a t-shirt and hang a medal around your neck!

Will anyone be finishing before 200?
2014-05-08 9:46 PM
in reply to: rayd

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by rayd

Originally posted by tedjohn

Will anyone be finishing before 200?

Hmmm . . . yeah I guess they probably won't! Ha!

2014-07-02 1:24 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
32 days out and still no athlete guide. I have noticed that the bike profile has changed from 3000' of climbing to 4500'. Folks still think it will be fast??

This will be my first IM and I'm terrified.

2014-07-02 10:37 PM
in reply to: Bonafide505

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Bonafide505 32 days out and still no athlete guide. I have noticed that the bike profile has changed from 3000' of climbing to 4500'. Folks still think it will be fast?? This will be my first IM and I'm terrified.

On their Facebook page they said the athlete guide will be out this week.

The link to the elevation map isn't working right now; I really don't think the 4500 feet is accurate.  I think heat, altitude, and wind will be the biggest factors.  The bike and run courses look pretty reasonable, especially after they had to drop Carter Lake.  You might try plotting the course on Map My Ride and see what it gives you for elevation gain.

From my first IM experience all I recommend is race within yourself and enjoy the day!

2014-07-03 8:07 AM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
FF....Thanks for the advice. I am actually from Albuquerque- just thought I'd relocate electronically to tune in to the race blog. Are you guys concerned at all with 3000 swimming together and finding any open water or is there enough real estate to get outside? It's hard to imagine the swim thinning out after after 1500meters with that many racers??

Originally posted by FF Stock

Originally posted by Bonafide505 32 days out and still no athlete guide. I have noticed that the bike profile has changed from 3000' of climbing to 4500'. Folks still think it will be fast?? This will be my first IM and I'm terrified.

On their Facebook page they said the athlete guide will be out this week.

The link to the elevation map isn't working right now; I really don't think the 4500 feet is accurate.  I think heat, altitude, and wind will be the biggest factors.  The bike and run courses look pretty reasonable, especially after they had to drop Carter Lake.  You might try plotting the course on Map My Ride and see what it gives you for elevation gain.

From my first IM experience all I recommend is race within yourself and enjoy the day!

2014-07-03 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The swim is going to have a self seeded rolling start.  The fastest swimmers start at 6:35 and everyone should be in the water by 7:00 am.  You seed yourself on predicted finish times probably within some long chute and your time starts once you cross the timing mat near the water.  This in effect will spread swimmers out immediately and over a period of 25 minutes, rather than a mass start where it takes 1000 yards before you start finding clean water.  If you're nervous about the swim, you can seed yourself back a bit but if you're a decent swimmer I wouldn't start too far back as you'll be swimming around people all morning long.

2014-07-07 10:33 AM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I just mapped the ride (to the best of my knowledge) and it looks like 3830' climbing

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/465522220

2014-07-07 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yikes, not really the course I'd like to see the largest number of participants worldwide on...

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_26086602

2014-07-08 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by FF Stock

Yikes, not really the course I'd like to see the largest number of participants worldwide on...

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_26086602

It looks like we will have three crowded laps on the run.
2014-07-12 4:16 PM

I am from Colorado and I think the new bike course might be harder than the original. The out and back portion of the race has a pretty big climb... and a U turn.

I also think the hill on 52 cumming back into Boulder might be a killer at 90 miles into the ride. Lastly I think if there is any wind it could really kill the bike out East of I25.

3000+ athletes could also make the swim and run a big cluster. *laces up boxing gloves for the swim*
2014-07-21 1:35 PM
in reply to: dougie2008

User image

Extreme Veteran

I rode the majority of the course yesterday and I thought it was a pretty fair course.  My thoughts in general:

• Hope for no wind out of the south
  • Drink more than you think you need if it's hot.  I rode in 97 degree weather and was fried by the end.
  • Use the first 60 miles to gain time on the course.  It will be cooler and there is a net descent.  This is the easiest part of the course.  I'm not saying go crazy but I'll definitely stay high Z2 if I can.
  • It's a nice course and more interesting than I thought it would be.  The back half is full of false flats and long ascents but nothing terrible.  There is a short steep hill when you turn on 79th so keep your speed up.

I ran a small portion of the run course and it's very nice and mostly shaded.  There was, however, a ton of people out on Sunday.  I see the run course as being very congested.  I don't necessarily think people are going to stay away from their tubing, fishing, and use of the path just because of some silly race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Boulder Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Cyclist killed in Boulder on Memorial Day--Memorial ride info

Started by Holliewd
Views: 1432 Posts: 3

2005-07-09 12:50 PM nealy_uk

Colorado: Boulder Res on Sunday?

Started by line
Views: 796 Posts: 2

2005-06-13 10:53 AM joeinco

Boulder Peak group ride June 4th

Started by joeinco
Views: 1306 Posts: 16

2005-06-04 8:24 AM himself

COLORADO: Boulder mini-mini-mini Tri for fun

Started by line
Views: 1473 Posts: 14

2005-05-12 6:32 PM line

HEY - Bolder Boulder runners!

Started by joeinco
Views: 1174 Posts: 8

2005-05-06 11:10 AM Stacers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
comments : 0
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.