Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 77

2014-05-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around

it was like 82 degrees last night and my run was so miserable.  i love summer (full sun, lots of heat, beach, boats, pools) but i really need it to always be 55 - 60 degrees and overcast for running.  how do i get both of these?

2014-05-22 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Originally posted by mehaner

it was like 82 degrees last night and my run was so miserable.  i love summer (full sun, lots of heat, beach, boats, pools) but i really need it to always be 55 - 60 degrees and overcast for running.  how do i get both of these?

The first really hot run of the year is not much fun. I have to consciously slow down particularly at the start. The good news is that your body adapts pretty quickly. In August, 82 will feel great.

Another solution is to buy your own personal jet and fly to Canada every day for your run.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-05-22 8:04 AM

2014-05-22 8:13 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by bootygirlI sat in court all morning waiting for a sentencing of a former friend and coworker who embezzled a quarter of a million dollars from the company I still work for. Our insurance company would only go back 3 years with the investigation, so who knows how much in total. The first two years (7 total) she worked for us, she had been on parole from another embezzlement charge - I guess I know how she made restitution for that. She received a sentence of a maximum of 10 years, eligible to apply for parole in 16 months. I had really trusted this person - we all did. The last 14 months since this broke has been a lot like the grieving process for many of us - denial, anger, etc. She is a pathological liar. I finally accepted that fact today, and watched them cuff her. No one came to court with her except her lawyer - not her husband, not her sister or parents. She has a teenaged daughter and a son about 6.

all of the other cases we got to watch today have left me quite worn out. Lots of emotion, sad stories, substance abuse, bad decisions. Sadly, several of them were veterans.

One bit of humor - a guy was pulled over for a traffic violation and was told the car he was driving was stollen. He was driving his new younger girlfriend's car, he thought. Nope - she was wanted for auto theft and a host of other things. The judge asked him if he was going to stay with this woman, and he claimed "no way! I learned my lesson to think with this head (taping the side of his own head) and not the little head (pointing to his crotch)".

Sad story. Those illegal shortcuts seem like an easy way to get ahead. In reality, working hard, being honest, and being smart are a much easier and more likely path.

The second guy should get arrested for theft because he totally stole that line.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-05-22 8:18 AM

2014-05-22 8:22 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tech_geezer

The first really hot run of the year is not much fun. I have to consciously slow down particularly at the start. The good news is that your body adapts pretty quickly. In August, 82 will feel great.

Another solution is to buy your own personal jet and fly to Canada every day for your run.

TW

private jet...why didn't i think of that!

2014-05-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
Madrid
Here's an observation and kind of a question from far away. I live outside the US but have alot of goings on inside the US. Family, daughter going to school there, house-tenants, banks, lawyers, insurance, etc etc. To go into specifics would take hours. Anyhow it seems more and more people in the US are angrier and angrier. Not sure if its pent up frustration over slippage in day to day struggles over time, or people are just tired, or the rough weather, or who knows. I might have to move back to the US sometime it the future and to be honest it kind of concerns me. I'm no Polyanna but don't really want to live in an overall angry society. To counter that the strategy of isloating oneself to limit exposure isn't that appealing either. So the question is- am I imagnining this or do you all get a similar vibe ?
2014-05-22 9:49 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yeah, the heat is no fun...  It slows me down big time if I'm going by HR.  Running when it's 110 out adds 2-3 minutes per mile over running in 60 degree weather - if not more.

2014-05-22 10:05 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gr33n Here's an observation and kind of a question from far away. I live outside the US but have alot of goings on inside the US. Family, daughter going to school there, house-tenants, banks, lawyers, insurance, etc etc. To go into specifics would take hours. Anyhow it seems more and more people in the US are angrier and angrier. Not sure if its pent up frustration over slippage in day to day struggles over time, or people are just tired, or the rough weather, or who knows. I might have to move back to the US sometime it the future and to be honest it kind of concerns me. I'm no Polyanna but don't really want to live in an overall angry society. To counter that the strategy of isloating oneself to limit exposure isn't that appealing either. So the question is- am I imagnining this or do you all get a similar vibe ?

It has gotten so bad that they are going just go ahead with the plan to put Prozac in the water.

Actually, it is mainly the news.  In real life, even people who throw shoes at the TV screen are pretty nice in person.  You encounter an occasional jerk but mostly people are civilized.  I think that you hear the most sensational news from the United States abroad, and well actually you hear it domestically too.  If I listen to the more biased news sources, it is a continuous rant about one thing or another.   That is pretty much all for ratings.  I just put on a filter on my brain and set the gain for about 0.1 and sort out the facts and let the interpretation and spin go off to bother the intended audience.  Even nominally fair reporting is biased by selection. They can't tell all the stories so the selection process inherently prioritizes and biases the news you hear.

That and a glass of Rioja to remind you of Spain will get you through if you should ever come this way again.  On second thought, let's just all move to Barcelona.  I could live there.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-05-22 10:11 AM
2014-05-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by gr33n Here's an observation and kind of a question from far away. I live outside the US but have alot of goings on inside the US. Family, daughter going to school there, house-tenants, banks, lawyers, insurance, etc etc. To go into specifics would take hours. Anyhow it seems more and more people in the US are angrier and angrier. Not sure if its pent up frustration over slippage in day to day struggles over time, or people are just tired, or the rough weather, or who knows. I might have to move back to the US sometime it the future and to be honest it kind of concerns me. I'm no Polyanna but don't really want to live in an overall angry society. To counter that the strategy of isloating oneself to limit exposure isn't that appealing either. So the question is- am I imagnining this or do you all get a similar vibe ?

It has gotten so bad that they are going just go ahead with the plan to put Prozac in the water.

Actually, I think that you hear the most sensational news from the United States abroad, and well actually you hear it domestically too.  If I listen to the more biased news sources, it is a continuous rant about one thing or another.   That is pretty much all for ratings.  I just put on a filter on my brain and set the gain for about 0.1 and sort out the facts and let the interpretation and spin go off to bother the intended audience.  Even nominally fair reporting is biased by selection. They can't tell all the stories so the selection process inherently prioritizes and biases the news you hear.

That and a glass of Rioja to remind you of Spain will get you through if you should ever come this way again.  On second thought, let's just all move to Barcelona.  I could live there.

TW

My angle is even more from personal dealings as opposed to media spin but I hear what you're saying. And yes Spain while not perfect is a very livable place. Good weather. Good wine. And the right combination of relaxed attitudes and 'we got to get at least something done here to make it look good'.
2014-05-22 10:14 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gr33n

Actually, I think that you hear the most sensational news from the United States abroad, and well actually you hear it domestically too.  If I listen to the more biased news sources, it is a continuous rant about one thing or another.   That is pretty much all for ratings.  I just put on a filter on my brain and set the gain for about 0.1 and sort out the facts and let the interpretation and spin go off to bother the intended audience.  Even nominally fair reporting is biased by selection. They can't tell all the stories so the selection process inherently prioritizes and biases the news you hear.

TW

My angle is even more from personal dealings as opposed to media spin but I hear what you're saying. And yes Spain while not perfect is a very livable place. Good weather. Good wine. And the right combination of relaxed attitudes and 'we got to get at least something done here to make it look good'.

We still have better baseball here.

2014-05-22 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

eh, i think some people are just angry people and some are not.  i bet you get that everywhere.  but if i lived in spain i'd never leave.

2014-05-22 10:32 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm angry that I don't get angry enough.

2014-05-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

i think you are definitely one of the angry folks that gr33n is talking about!

2014-05-22 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Or maybe everyone's just angry at me....
2014-05-22 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I'm angry at you for dog-shaming in your profile pic.

2014-05-22 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Hahaha NO to the contrary. That is Jane and she is my best bud, and the only soul that is never mad at me. Well maybe sometimes if she doesn't get her idea of enough treats or walks...
2014-05-22 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

weekend trip to monterrey/big sur in the works for 4th of july!  oh em gee i hope i can make this happen!!!

2014-05-22 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I think they are more oblivious to what is going on around them... or rather... caring about it. So many people today are ALL ABOUT THEMSELVES. Who cares if they are blocking the isle in the store? Who cares if they holding up a line of traffic because they decided to keep their head in their phone? Etc. 

They are also way larger @ssholes on the road who think they OWN IT and do NOTHING WRONG. For example, last weekend we were driving in downtown. This truck, didn't want to stay in their lane while going through the light (I'm pretty sure they were unable to follow the lines the went to the right and kept going straight, thus moving into our lane, instead of staying in their lane) and just took over our lane. We had to slam on our brakes so they didn't HIT our car, and we honked so they would realize we were IN the lane. Then they got over, hung their finger out the window to flip us off, and started to try to race us. Let's see... all because we HONKED the car horn so our car wouldn't get creamed. Oh, but they did NOTHING WRONG, so it was time to flip us off? This is a common occurrence here on the roads. No one does anything wrong, can't be responsible for what they do to endanger other people,and they get mad at the people they almost killed. Yep. 

Gosh, I got angry just talking about it. Yep. We are an angry society. Ha!  

2014-05-22 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Live in Seattle? 

It was 90 degrees here yesterday. I was OK in the heat. It's when it gets to be 100 that I'm suffering, a lot. 

2014-05-22 12:57 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

We had to cone our little dog.  She HATED it - petrified her - literally (well, you know what I mean).  She would sort of half stand, half crouch, tail tucked, wide eyed AND NOT MOVE a muscle.  I think I let her stand there for 15 minutes before I had to take it off.

Ended up getting something like an airplane pillow you put around their neck.  They don't fee so "enclosed" but it also blocks them from licking the ears they are not supposed to.

2014-05-22 1:02 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I generally don't get angry - which angers me.

I passed the "carefree" test on FB with flying colors.

BUT, I think people like to complain and rant and get attention.  I think people are generally pretty happy in the US.  They just whinge a lot about nonsense.

Plus the news loves their blood and controversy.  I'm not sure why if it's bad, it's news but if it's anything else?  It's not...  An exaggeration, but it seems to go that way.  The local news doesn't really just talk about newsworthy items in general - just the murder and accidents and corruption mostly.

2014-05-22 1:07 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I just thought of Kiley and realized I miss her phunny sayings and posts...

"Kerfuffle" got me going down memory lane...

2014-05-22 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I think people are angry on the internet but rarely do they say anything in person. The internet gives them that air of anonymity and bravery that they don't necessarily have in real life. But I do find that people are `fed up' with more things. I'm going to go live in Canada.
2014-05-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mr2tony I think people are angry on the internet but rarely do they say anything in person. The internet gives them that air of anonymity and bravery that they don't necessarily have in real life. But I do find that people are `fed up' with more things. I'm going to go live in Canada.

I find that posters named "mr2tony" on the internet make ME angry.

2014-05-22 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Originally posted by mr2tony I think people are angry on the internet but rarely do they say anything in person. The internet gives them that air of anonymity and bravery that they don't necessarily have in real life. But I do find that people are `fed up' with more things. I'm going to go live in Canada.

I find that posters named "mr2tony" on the internet make ME angry.

That's because you don't understand my genius.
2014-05-22 6:13 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's weird seeing BTers pictures sometimes.  Completely not what I was imagining - same for the 30 or so I met in real life.

Except for mr2tony.  Exactly what I was expecting...  TOOL....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  

of 77

RELATED POSTS

TAN #180 Degrees (Turn Around, Every Now and Then) Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by TriAya
Views: 38909 Posts: 1749

2012-09-06 4:00 PM NRG42

TAN #160: Just farTAN' around as usual ... Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by TriAya
Views: 32567 Posts: 1598

2012-02-08 2:48 PM FoggyGoggles

FHA 203(k) and Fannie HomeStyle Rennovation Mortgages?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1183 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:57 PM Bripod

203(k) Loans

Started by kmanus
Views: 710 Posts: 3

2009-12-19 10:32 PM tetchypoo

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4766 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.