General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wall Street Journal article Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-11 1:48 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Wall Street Journal article

Originally posted by aliddle9876 It's always funny when these types of threads/articles pop up. All the sudden people feel like they need to come out of the wood works to say how old school they are. Almost hipster-ish in a way.  

Haha - yes!

And "fun" and "training with data" become mutually exclusive entities. 

I enjoy pain. So, sometimes, my idea of a good time, is doing a HR-based tempo run with my GPS watch.

2014-03-11 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by aliddle9876

It's always funny when these types of threads/articles pop up. All the sudden people feel like they need to come out of the wood works to say how old school they are. Almost hipster-ish in a way.

With that said I don't even own a swim suit. I just s/b/r in a pair of whity tighties and flipflops on a bmx bike I fished out of a ditch.

I'm going to grow an ironic mustache, drink PBR to be ironic, and put a Power Meter on my Fixie (for the irony).

P.S. I'm going to SBR in skinny jeans.
2014-03-11 4:40 PM

User image

It's always funny when these types of threads/articles pop up. All the sudden people feel like they need to come out of the wood works to say how old school they are. Almost hipster-ish in a way.

With that said I don't even own a swim suit. I just s/b/r in a pair of whity tighties and flipflops on a bmx bike I fished out of a ditch.

funny!

So maybe I am hipsterish, but just another IM er with zero technology, not even a watch….I liked how I got kinda psyched at the end when I realized my time was better than I thought it would be simply because the sun had not set
2014-03-12 7:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a hipster (can't, in fact, think of a time, ever, when I did something because it was "cool"), I'm just poor, at least by triathlete standards, and kind of a free sprit. If I manage to acquire a gadget at minimal/no cost (i.e. win it in a race), I'll use it if/when I think it would improve my training, but not to the extent that said training feels like a job. I also don't have that much time to spend maintaining the gadgets and analyzing all the data. If it's not free/cheap, it makes me sick to think of spending that much $$ when I don't know year to year if I'll have a job and when I have much more pressing financial needs. I've spent three years trying to persuade myself I need/deserve a better bike, but haven't managed yet!

The one item I wouldn't want to part with, though, would be my watch. I did my first tri with no bike computer or watch. It was supposedly a 24 km bike leg, and the whole tri took me about 90 minutes, but I could swear the bike leg went on for three hours! Can't imagine an IM with no watch. I would go nuts, and probably miss the bike cutoff, too.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-03-12 7:49 AM
2014-03-12 8:48 AM

User image

That's just the reaction to the other side, which is a bunch of noise about the latest gadget. If it wasn't for the latest this and gadget 2.0 coming out then most of these forums would be dead. The reason people "come out of the woodwork" is because the loudest voices are consistently the ones buying the newest stuff and regurgitating the purposefully vague marketing BS about saving 30 seconds per 40k.

The article makes perfect sense; browse the most popular threads or the most popular bloggers and they're all basically associated with selling the newest stuff. I used to read DCRainmaker all the time, now it's just endless posts about power meters and expensive watches, it's like a garmin/vector/stages/etc. fest.
2014-03-12 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I have a Garmin. But I've been into them for a while, you know, before they went mainstream.

2014-03-12 12:20 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

agreed on the low tech group. I use an app on my phone so I know how far I went and how long it took so I have an idea, but that's it. I don't even look at my watch when running or biking. Mostly I have a route that I know the distance and do the Dave Scott way -- keep doing the same route over and over and see how fast I can do it. It works for me. Others really want the magic pill, or the numbers, or to be a pro. I can't help but chuckle when I see a race where the guy with the $400 aero helmet, the $10,000 bike, the fancy bike computer AND watch is just coming off the bike with his pot belly when many others are already done with the run. but it makes him happy, he is an athlete even if not the Dave Scott athlete, and he has the money. Good for him for being healthy.
2014-03-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Originally posted by bwalling

I'm surprised how low tech most of the responses here are. I at least use my phone to track runs and rides, and I assumed that was the minimum baseline for most. I'm shocked when looking on Strava how many of times for segments have power numbers related to them. I seem to be one of the few in my area without.

I have found that I much prefer not seeing the time, speed, distance, etc while running or riding. Seeing it is a mental drag, and I can go a lot longer if I don't see it.

Sample size means everything.

Strava is for hardcore riders. Average joes don't bother posting to strava. Sure, a few do, but they are the exception that proves the rule.

BT is a much more broad based group of people. This is also an atmosphere where it's ok to "come out" as a non-power meter user. Even ST is a place where mentioning you don't have a power meter seems to come with a disclaimer, apology or assurance that you intend to buy one some day.

untrue. plenty of strava users in my area that are not hardcore and like to use strava. it is a great way to check your own fitness -- how did I compare this ride against how did I do on the same ride a month ago? also fun to see how others around you are doing. perhaps the 'hardcore' lessons the farther one gets away from the epicenter of the WSJ.
2014-03-12 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Interesting article indeed.  Maybe we are all just a bunch of rich eliteist's who like flaunting our money and beautiful bodies?  Although more seriously, other than a bike, the sport doesn't have to be that expensive as many of you point out.  It seems most people start to acquire more expensive and better stuff over the years while developing in the sport.  I happen to be a gadget-guy myself because I like technology in general, but obviously "the Force" works well for many.  As far as needing the techno-equipment, it's definitely not necessary to get involved in the sport.  I don't know too many people that start out with a $10K bike, power meter, GPS and a top-of-the-line wetsuit.  The article seems to intimidate any potential tri-wannabess by all that gadget talk.  To me, running, cycling and swimming are fun by themselves.  The fact that I like gadgets is just a bonus to make things even more fun (in my head any way).

2014-03-12 2:20 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

I don't think it matters either way. I ride a Shiv with a Powertap and race wheels and I'm 23. Who cares? I can afford it and I like it. I also liked it when i was riding an 80s Schwinn Le tour with an old brooks saddle. If you can afford stuff and want it - buy it. If you can afford stuff and dont want it - dont buy it. If you cant afford it, make do with what ya have.

I think these things are overthought and over discussed.

....I wish I was on my bike and not at work.
2014-03-12 4:23 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by aliddle9876 It's always funny when these types of threads/articles pop up. All the sudden people feel like they need to come out of the wood works to say how old school they are. Almost hipster-ish in a way.
I have a Garmin. But I've been into them for a while, you know, before they went mainstream.

LMFAO

2014-03-12 4:54 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn  I have a Garmin. But I've been into them for a while, you know, before they went mainstream.

I work in technology.  I love the gadgets and gizmos.

That said, my bike was a leftover frame I found on eBay and built with eBay parts. I did just buy a Stages powermeter though.

2014-03-12 7:39 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I'll admit it. I'm a gearhead for sure.

Compressions sleeves, HRM, GPS, new aero bars, waterproof ipod, Cadence sensors, all the gadgets...but then again I have every music cable imaginable for my music. I just like gadgets and toys. Oh yeah and I'm a spreadsheet data junkie so the more data for analyzing the better!

But let's be real, my nice bike with all it's bells and whistles is useless without good legs. Buy them for the fun, dont expect gadgets to make you a better Triathelete...that's what sweat and 4am workouts are for!

I love an easy known Trail run though. No ipod, just me the woods and solitude. You definetly lose that when we strap on all our extras...
2014-03-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I am the ultimate hipster triathlete.

I am such a big sized triathlete right now when I swim,bike, run I can not help to do it ironically.

Also I shop at for about 1.5 hours a week at whole foods and only thing I buy there is maybe every 3 months a can of PBR (they do sell a lot of it there).

Kinda funny when it comes to tech I love generating the data but I rarely use it. My HRM is really the only tool I use. Though I love know how faster I am going and how far I went.

Edited by chirunner134 2014-03-13 9:33 AM
2014-03-13 11:43 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
I don't even have a TV
2014-03-13 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Hmmmmmmm???? Lets see. So with technology only I guess can program my tech stuff so that I can complete an Ironman in 9:45. DONE!!!! Im going to Kona!!!

2014-03-13 12:35 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by La Tortuga

I don't even have a TV

I don't even have access to the internet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wall Street Journal article Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Wall Street Journal Article

Started by KathyG
Views: 1112 Posts: 3

2007-06-23 2:34 PM KathyG

Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal Pages: 1 2

Started by Japhy
Views: 2160 Posts: 28

2007-06-25 5:02 PM chirunner134

What's the point of keeping a journal?

Started by Kidblue
Views: 1030 Posts: 19

2007-06-21 9:55 AM Daremo

Wall Street Journal Tri Article

Started by dibujob
Views: 812 Posts: 9

2005-08-27 9:03 AM Denise2003

Tri article on Yahoo/Wall Street Journal Online

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 953 Posts: 9

2005-07-05 8:16 AM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Most episodes start with the tearing, giving-way sensation. This is localized about 1-2 cm inside the 10th rib on the side. How I might get a long term solution to this problem?

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Upon releasing me from the ER, the cardiologists said that I have an athlete's heart - enlarged chambers and thickening of the walls. Should I be concerned?