General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shreveport, Louisiana
United States
Sports Spectrum
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Considering we had moved to Texas and I started a new career in the days leading up to this race, you would think I'd be a little stressed about my lack of training. Not really! In fact, I was more relaxed prior to the race than I have been all week!
Drove up to S'port Saturday afternoon and met up with Derek (whom I hadn't seen in a week) and The Bears for packet pick-up. The goodies...WOW! A rolling duffel, 2 t-shirts, hat, socks, sunglasses, poster, Clif bars. Verrrrry nice. Scoped out the course with Derek, Jeremy and John. Very happy to see the hills weren't too bad, now that I have a Texas prespective on what a hill really is! Dinner at Macaroni Grill with Rugbykid, Biseman, jjweav, Bear, Mrs. Bear, Little Bears, and Mrs Mnewton was wonderful. It never ceases to amaze me how nice people we "meet on the internet" can be. Went back to the smokey Days Inn for a good rest.
Event warmup:

Really didn't want to get out of bed, partly because I needed the sleep, partly because I knew I wasn't prepared for this race. Got dressed and ready pretty early and luckily got to the race site prior to the major traffic jam. Didn't eat my clif bar until well after I set up transition, since my wave wasn't going until much later.
Speaking of my wave, it was extremely disappointing to see participants who clearly did not fit into the Athena and Clyde mold, happily smoking the participants these classifications were made for (like me). Ok, dead horse beaten again.
Since I was in the last wave, I had lots of time to warmup...almost got sunburned watching all the other waves go off. Lots of fun watching Derek come in from his swim. Finally, 50 minutes after the first wave got started, it was my time!
Swim
  • 22m 5s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Usually, I have issues with my breathing during the swim. I think the anxiety of starting the race, combined with the whole not-drowning thing has forced me to breathe every other stroke. This race, however, being a little more chilled out must have helped because I held onto my normal breathing for about 1/3 of the swim. Lots more body contact than I'm used to but nothing violent, just a little grabby here, grabby there. I hugged close to the buoys. It amazes me how wide some people's paths around the buoys are. It leaves a whole lot of space on the inside, which is great for me, since I am a left breather, I used those guys to help guide me on the clockwise course. Came in to shore just right, not standing up too early and losing time trying to wade in on my short legs.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing as far as race day goes.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Uphill onto the boat ramp right off the bat got my HR up, but I think it was sky-high already. I ran up the ramp at first, then walked about 30 feet, then ran the rest of the way into transition, which was pretty cool, since I usually have to walk. T1 kinda congested, since the first waves were already coming in off the bike and had to weave around us.

Had some trouble getting into my shoes without almost falling over. Maybe next season I'll try the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 41s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 15.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I've always dreaded the bike, just because I don't spend enough time in the saddle (re-read the first part of the sentence). Since we drove the course yesterday, I knew there weren't too many hills I couldn't handle, so I figured I'd be okay. Started out with my HR way too high and had some trouble bringing it back down, since the hilliest part of the course was first. This was the first time I ever had to worry about the drafting rule, since I was actually passing poeple! Wha? Luckily, most everyone stuck to the right and no major issues came up until mile 17, when I came up behind a guy, who was coming up behind another slow rider. I didn't want to get carded (because apparently marshalls were out in full force), so I called out to him, stood up on my pedals and passed them both. Where did that come from?

Nothing on race day.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

This was by far my best T2 ever. The only reason it is as long as it is, is because we were made to run all the way around transition to the other side where our racks were. I was the only one I saw running with my bike, so style points for me! I slipped my running shoes on, and snapped my race belt and put on my hat on the run. Yay me!

Nothing...best ever.
Run
  • 39m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time, it was approaching noon, so the shaded course was exactly what we needed. The volunteers on the course were phenomenal. Very supportive and attentive with Amino, water and cold towels. I got one little girl to throw 2 cups of water on me as I chugged by. There was even a misting tunnel-type thing about halfway through.
My feet and calves were hollering at me from the get-go, so I knew this would not be one of my best days running. But apparently, not too many people were having a great day either, because I passed about 6 people on the run, including 3 girls from my AG. I kept having to walk, but I made more efforts to at least try and run in lots of short spurts, rather than try and run a long distance and walk further. The downhill run into the finish was a little scary on the grass, but I got a good laugh when I heard the announcer say "From Metairie, Louisiana..." Oops! Forgot to change the address!

Try and suck it up more and ignore the pain in my feet.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to get a massage, but they shut it down right after I finished...*&%$#@!! Sat on the ground with the Bears and ate a chicken sandwich and passed on the Twinkies and Ho Ho's (???)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

New state, new house, new career just 10 days prior to the race.

Event comments:

This was a fantastically well-run race by Sportspectrum. I guess after 26 years, you tend to iron out a lot of issues. It was well-staffed, organized and lots of fun.
Because of all the life changes we've gone through over the last few weeks, I had no real expectations of myself going in this race except a poor performance. But I really surprised myself by having one of my best performances ever. Like I said before, I felt more relaxed during this race than I have in the last 8 weeks. I always say I'm trying to compete in triathlons for fun. This is the first race I can truly say I had a blast from start to finish.

Last updated: 2006-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:05 | 880 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi tri top and Desoto tri shorts
Course: Rectangular out and back. Very well marked, especially with the different-shaped turn buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:41 | 18.2 miles | 15.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/20
HR was 177 for the first couple miles, then down to ~169 the rest of the way.
Wind: None
Course: Large loop on 2-lane road with moderate traffic. Few rollers, with a few 90-degree turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:34 | 03.1 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/20
Performance: Average
Course: 90% shaded, large loop throughout Cypress Bend Park. Mild hills and about 1/4 mile trail run, which I thought was a great touch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-09 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

2006-08-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: #506303

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

You almost beat me.  That can never happen again.

Great race, baby!  I don't think I tell you enough how proud I am of you. 

2006-08-09 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Excellent job Laurie! Glad you had so much fun with it, it was definitely an excellent race. Hope to see you guys again soon.
2006-08-09 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
U GEAUX SUNSHINE!!!

You did great! I knew you would. I am proud of you.

(Yes, D. she almost kicked your butt!)

Have a wonderful week!!!
2006-08-09 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
It would have been so easy to skip that race with all that you have going on, but you didn't and you had a great day. Way to go!
2006-08-09 9:37 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job! See how great it is when you don't have any expectations?

Congrats and you'll beat Derek soon.

2006-08-09 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Awesome, awesome race!!!!!!  I hope I can be as chilled out for my next one.
2006-08-09 5:37 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great job Laurie! You'll be smoking Derek I'm sure Derek will be happy to be able to train more frequently now.
2006-08-09 5:44 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Well if that's what it takes to encourage your man to keep up a healthy lifestyle, then you go! 

GREAT race, Laurie.  I think you were relaxed on the way there b/c you knew you'd get to spend the time focusing on what you know you enjoy.  I am SO glad you got to enjoy this great time after all of the hullaballoo of these last few months.  Yay YOU!

2006-08-09 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Yay! Great race!
2006-08-10 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

Ha! sounds like you had more fun that all the other 1300 people there

I definately agree with you on the run into T1.... it shot my HR up also and I walked once pasted the overhang to my bike..... Had I known I was going to camp out for 4:30 seconds in t1 I probably wouldn't have though

Good job on the race, good effort! Sounds like you passed more people on the bike than I did !!

2006-08-10 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job, Texacajun!  Especially for not having trained.  See?  These Texas hills can provide some benefit after all!
2006-08-10 5:31 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Good job. Got to get the address changed since you're a TEXAN now. Crazy cajun chick.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed