User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Show me your rack!
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Nah, I crank my threaded pin down and it doesn't sway. (maybe a tad but I don't want it to be completely rigid so that it doesn't eat any road vibration)  We've hauled our bikes across the country numerous times with no issues.  I don't think there is a way to lock it so you can't steal the hitch, but apparently nobody wanted it in the 3 years we've had it......probably due to the bad reviews you noted.

You can lock yours up pretty easily by purchasing a pin lock at any auto parts store. Would probably cost you less than $20.
Here's an example:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Master-Lock-Bent-pin-r...

These things are not unbreakable, but it does provide some peace of mind for me.

2014-05-07 10:28 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dprocket

Nah, I crank my threaded pin down and it doesn't sway. (maybe a tad but I don't want it to be completely rigid so that it doesn't eat any road vibration)  We've hauled our bikes across the country numerous times with no issues.  I don't think there is a way to lock it so you can't steal the hitch, but apparently nobody wanted it in the 3 years we've had it......probably due to the bad reviews you noted.

You can lock yours up pretty easily by purchasing a pin lock at any auto parts store. Would probably cost you less than $20. Here's an example: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Master-Lock-Bent-pin-r... These things are not unbreakable, but it does provide some peace of mind for me.

Those locks will not work.  It's a threaded pin so that the rack can be tight in the hitch.

2014-05-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL

I have a Saris rack that came with a bolt that is both threaded and has a lock like in the link. Not quite sure where to get one off the top of my head, just showing they do exist.

2014-05-07 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Those locks will not work.  It's a threaded pin so that the rack can be tight in the hitch.

What does the end of the pin look like?

I have a Yakima SwingDaddy and it has a threaded pin too. The end has a knob on it that you can attach a pin lock on it. If it's not flat on the end of it, you can probably put a lock on it. It may require taking the pin to the store and some trial/error. If not, it's possible that you could buy another threaded pin to put a lock on it. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LV5KJ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p468_d0_...

Of course, you'd have to make sure the dimensions are the same.
2014-05-07 10:57 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dprocket

What does the end of the pin look like? I have a Yakima SwingDaddy and it has a threaded pin too. The end has a knob on it that you can attach a pin lock on it. If it's not flat on the end of it, you can probably put a lock on it. It may require taking the pin to the store and some trial/error. If not, it's possible that you could buy another threaded pin to put a lock on it. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LV5KJ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p468_d0_... Of course, you'd have to make sure the dimensions are the same.

Ok, thanks.  I'm going to check it out.

2014-05-07 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Yeah I was hoping the threaded pin for the Stickup has a slot in the end for a pin lock as well. Not that they are impenetrable, but it would make me feel a bit better. That a cable lock for the bike run through the safety chain slot on my hitch would at least allow me to take my eyes off the car and bike for a bit. 

Here is the lock on the Yakima site. As long as the Stickup hitch pin accepts this I would be set. 

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/bike-accessories/hitch-lock

Yep, looks like it comes with a lockable threaded hitch pin, so I am all set.

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yakimaassets/yakima/documents/1033429E_STICKUP_INST.pdf

2014-05-07 2:01 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Another option besides Yakima.....Saris Thelma. I've had the three bike version for several years with zero problems.

http://www.saris.com/product/thelma-3

2014-05-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: mobey

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by mobey Another option besides Yakima.....Saris Thelma. I've had the three bike version for several years with zero problems. http://www.saris.com/product/thelma-3

I considered that one. Read a few reviews and one in this thread that said the wheel holds will bend backward if subject to a lot of wind.

The shape of my convertible means the bike is going to get a lot of wind, especially if the top is down, so I am thinking a metal support is going to hold up better over time. Could definitely see the Thelma working well behind an SUV.

2014-05-07 4:38 PM

User image

Have you considered the 1Up USA rack? I'm a big fan. They're pricey, but solid and easy to install and remove. I can put it on the car and have my bike on it in two minutes. Handles pretty much any bike, also.
2014-05-07 5:22 PM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by rjames91 Have you considered the 1Up USA rack? I'm a big fan. They're pricey, but solid and easy to install and remove. I can put it on the car and have my bike on it in two minutes. Handles pretty much any bike, also.

Thanks for the info. A bit pricey, but that is a good looking rack! How long have you had yours? Any issues with it?

2014-05-08 7:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN

Originally posted by mobey Another option besides Yakima.....Saris Thelma. I've had the three bike version for several years with zero problems. http://www.saris.com/product/thelma-3

I considered that one. Read a few reviews and one in this thread that said the wheel holds will bend backward if subject to a lot of wind.

The shape of my convertible means the bike is going to get a lot of wind, especially if the top is down, so I am thinking a metal support is going to hold up better over time. Could definitely see the Thelma working well behind an SUV.

I hadn't head about the wheel holds bending, but I guess that could happen in extreme winds. I've always had mine on a SUV.

Saris also makes this rack:
http://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-2

I considered buying it instead of the Thelma, but I got a "team deal" on the Thelma.

Good luck on your quest for a rack.

Edited by mobey 2014-05-08 7:17 AM

2014-05-15 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

We have a yakima stickup.......no problems whatsoever 3 years running and it NEVER comes off of our bumper year 'round.  It can be used with a 1 inch or 2 inch hitch.  I would highly recommend it but have no experience with your other choice.

So, how easy is it to get into the back liftgate with this on (with bikes on). When I go on road trips with the family (with minivan) it is really nice to be able to get into the back. It looks like this is a feature of the rack, but not sure how easy it is.
2014-05-15 3:14 PM

User image

Pro

You won't be able to open the entire hatch, but the window will lift with clearance.....at least it does on our suburban.

2014-05-15 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Indian Hills, CO

Originally posted by rjames91 Have you considered the 1Up USA rack? I'm a big fan. They're pricey, but solid and easy to install and remove. I can put it on the car and have my bike on it in two minutes. Handles pretty much any bike, also.

Thanks for the info. A bit pricey, but that is a good looking rack! How long have you had yours? Any issues with it?

I just picked up one of these. I love it and am excited for expanding it to hold 4.

I ran into a guy at the trailhead and he told me a story about the ball getting stuck in the receiver. He called 1up and they offered to send him a brand new one when all he wanted was to troubleshoot the issue. All he had to do was tap something that was stuck with a hammer to loosen it but he was impressed with the company offering to replace it instantly!

T

Edited by indianhillsted 2014-05-15 3:23 PM
2014-05-15 6:51 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro
Originally posted by ziggie204Hmm, on a convertible. . . I can't say I've ever seen that. Not worried about aerodynamic related problems? It would seem to me, on a SUV/Van or even a sedan, the bikes are relatively out of the wind. On a convertible, would the strain on the bikes be too much at high speed?
I've got a Thule platform rack on my Mini convertible. No issues. Not like I'm ever getting the bike in the car!
2014-05-16 6:29 AM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Yakima Universal Forklift on my Honda CRV. I t works really well. Roof is low enough that it is not a hassel. I shortened the channel on each rack so I could lift the hatch all the way. I really like having access to the hatch with the bikes on top.

(bike rack.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike rack.JPG (538KB - 5 downloads)

2015-03-21 3:26 AM

User image

I know this thread is old, however just wanted to know how the Stickup goes with carbon frames. thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Show me your rack! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2013 Totals.... I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;-) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Fred D
Views: 5612 Posts: 96

2014-01-11 11:57 PM pnwdan

Racking the Bike

Started by HBchinadoll
Views: 598 Posts: 3

2004-05-16 7:56 AM Machiavelo

bike racks

Started by evrunning
Views: 650 Posts: 2

2004-04-20 9:45 PM malvey

Recommendations for bike rack?

Started by stevenrh
Views: 792 Posts: 3

2004-04-08 2:45 PM coredump

In need of a roof mount bike rack

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1579 Posts: 8

2004-03-10 10:44 AM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!