Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-06 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: Show me your rack!

... ahem. Bike rack that is.

Our "economy" car is a convertible, and due to it being the only automatic transmission in the household it is the only car my wife likes to drive. As such it is our travel mobile as well. Convertibles pretty well leave you with one option for carrying a bike, the hitch rack. I installed a hitch on the car but now I need a decent rack. I am not a huge fan of the traditional tuning fork style, too much swaying and moving around, especially given the shape of the convertible and it not blocking the wind like an SUV would. 

So I am looking at tray options. Down to these two.

Yakima Stickup

And the Yakima Holdup

I think I prefer the holdup as it does not touch the frame so no potential for rubbing the paint. However it is $225 more than the stickup. Which is a pretty big price jump, and for some reason I have a hard time spending $450 on a bike rack. The $225 of the Stickup sounds better, but I also don't want to mess up my bike.

Anyone have experience with either or these? Or know of a good tuning fork style that doesn't allow the bikes to swing in the wind? Or just post pics of your rack... Bike rack.

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-05-06 11:08 AM

2014-05-06 12:20 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Show me your rack!

We have a yakima stickup.......no problems whatsoever 3 years running and it NEVER comes off of our bumper year 'round.  It can be used with a 1 inch or 2 inch hitch.  I would highly recommend it but have no experience with your other choice.

2014-05-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Orange County, California
I use the Saris Solo. So far so good.
2014-05-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: markowma

User image

Pro

Here's an action photo.

(raceready1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
raceready1.jpg (146KB - 5 downloads)
2014-05-06 12:26 PM

Hmm, on a convertible. . . I can't say I've ever seen that. Not worried about aerodynamic related problems? It would seem to me, on a SUV/Van or even a sedan, the bikes are relatively out of the wind. On a convertible, would the strain on the bikes be too much at high speed?

2014-05-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4992291

User image

Top down - leave the bikes in the back seat

2014-05-06 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Left Brain

We have a yakima stickup.......no problems whatsoever 3 years running and it NEVER comes off of our bumper year 'round.  It can be used with a 1 inch or 2 inch hitch.  I would highly recommend it but have no experience with your other choice.

Thanks LB, I was hoping someone would have experience with that model. 

I have found 2 problems in online reviews.

1. Some say the rubber on the hook wears out very quickly and then you have metal rubbing the bike frame. 

I assume that could be remedied with a small towel or something between hook and frame. Have you had any rubbing issues? Paint marring from the hook?

2. They say if you don't crank down hard on the hook the front tire can come out of the front wheel track and then the bike is able to come loose and potentially fall off. Ever had any issue with this? Do you have to clamp down hard on it? 

Both of my bikes are carbon, so if it works alright with your carbon bikes it should be fine for my purposes. And like I said, I really prefer the $225 price tag over the $450. 

2014-05-06 12:58 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Top down - leave the bikes in the back seat

Haha, I have done that. It fits if the front wheel is off. However I am not sure this is a great solution for the 9 hour drive to my IM this summer.

2014-05-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

Veteran
I have the $450 rack. I love how easy it is to put the bikes on, but the spring in the lever you pull to fold it up wore out very quickly so now I need to always have a screwdriver handy to fold or unfold the rack - I would feel better about that if I had spent $250 rather than $450
2014-05-06 1:03 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by ziggie204 Hmm, on a convertible. . . I can't say I've ever seen that. Not worried about aerodynamic related problems? It would seem to me, on a SUV/Van or even a sedan, the bikes are relatively out of the wind. On a convertible, would the strain on the bikes be too much at high speed?

That is my reason for the tray mount style rather than the traditional tuning fork style.

I was given a really cheap p.o.s. harbor freight fork style rack. My roadie rode that for an 8 hour trip. I had to adjust 3-4 times as the bike kept moving back and forth on the fork, and in one heavy wind it got a bit dicey. I used that rack for a 12 mile drive the other day with my p2c and given the wide profile of the P2C, the bike was swinging away from the car, like a sail. Definitely not comfortable with that style of rack.

However I think the tray racks should work okay. Most of the bike will be behind the trunk of the car and the tray racks look very stable. I am just worried about rubbing the paint with the one and my wallet with the other. 

2014-05-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by sheesleeva I have the $450 rack. I love how easy it is to put the bikes on, but the spring in the lever you pull to fold it up wore out very quickly so now I need to always have a screwdriver handy to fold or unfold the rack - I would feel better about that if I had spent $250 rather than $450

Do you have the gray one or the new and improved black rack?

I read that complaint about the older gray version. Supposedly it is fixed on the new black version. Also the black one comes with cable locks built into the arms which is a nice feature.

2014-05-06 1:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

1. Some say the rubber on the hook wears out very quickly and then you have metal rubbing the bike frame. 

I assume that could be remedied with a small towel or something between hook and frame. Have you had any rubbing issues? Paint marring from the hook?

2. They say if you don't crank down hard on the hook the front tire can come out of the front wheel track and then the bike is able to come loose and potentially fall off. Ever had any issue with this? Do you have to clamp down hard on it? 

Both of my bikes are carbon, so if it works alright with your carbon bikes it should be fine for my purposes. And like I said, I really prefer the $225 price tag over the $450. 

Yeah, #1 is true.....and we solve it just like you said.  But, I've had other racks and always cover the contact points on a carbon frame with something.  In this case we use a small piece of chamois.

I've never experienced #2, but I have alwasy crankes the bar down pretty hard.  I suppose if you don't that COULD happen......but it's definately not something that would happen wtih normal use.

2014-05-06 1:45 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I have a Thule Sidearm roof rack.
2014-05-06 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Yeah, #1 is true.....and we solve it just like you said.  But, I've had other racks and always cover the contact points on a carbon frame with something.  In this case we use a small piece of chamois.

I've never experienced #2, but I have alwasy crankes the bar down pretty hard.  I suppose if you don't that COULD happen......but it's definately not something that would happen wtih normal use.

Good idea on the chamois. I was trying to think of the best material to not scratch paint, was thinking microfiber towel but i bet chamois would work even better. 

Couple more questions.

1. Some say the hitch sways a lot, ie does not fit tight in the receiver. Mine would be the 1 1/4" so not as big a problem. But I thought the threaded hitch pin was supposed to stop the movement. Does yours move around? Are people just not tightening the hitch pin down enough?

2. Is there a way to lock the hitch pin so you can't take the rack off?

Thanks for the help. Based on my research and your good review it looks like I might be going with this rack and saving myself $225.

2014-05-06 3:39 PM

I have the stick up and the saris Thelma, for the problem of the rubber wearing off on the stick up, I went really cheap, that I only have to worry about once a year, I got some foam preformed pipe inulation (I think 1 inch diameter) slowly slid it on over and that solved that problem for 1 year. a bag of 3 pieces of foam would last 6 years and cost $2. Plus I never think about it again and need to remember anything. I really like the Thelma, however with my road and tri bikes it does not hold as tight and I noticed with the wind pushing on it the assembly that holds the front wheel is actually bending so my bikes are leaning backwards.

2014-05-06 3:46 PM

User image

Oakville

We have a SportRack version which is very similar to the stickup:

http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-Hitch-Platform-Bike-Rack/dp/B0036O84SM

The padding on the arm that touches the frame is very thick and I can't see it wearing out.  Comes with locks for the arms and for the hitch pin.

The bike is held in place with the ratcheting locking arm and with wheel straps, so you can't rack the bike with a rear disc or aero covers.  Not sure if you would want to anyway.

Great rack and no complaints so far.

2014-05-06 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

A friend that I go riding with in the summers also has a convertible and uses the stick-up version... I don't think either of us have had any issues whatsoever with anything happening to our bikes, and they feel really secure at the back of the car...

Bikes

2014-05-06 4:14 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

A friend that I go riding with in the summers also has a convertible and uses the stick-up version... I don't think either of us have had any issues whatsoever with anything happening to our bikes, and they feel really secure at the back of the car...

Bikes

Is that hail??
2014-05-06 4:44 PM
in reply to: mclousing

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by mclousing I have the stick up and the saris Thelma, for the problem of the rubber wearing off on the stick up, I went really cheap, that I only have to worry about once a year, I got some foam preformed pipe inulation (I think 1 inch diameter) slowly slid it on over and that solved that problem for 1 year. a bag of 3 pieces of foam would last 6 years and cost $2. Plus I never think about it again and need to remember anything. I really like the Thelma, however with my road and tri bikes it does not hold as tight and I noticed with the wind pushing on it the assembly that holds the front wheel is actually bending so my bikes are leaning backwards.

Thanks for the input, I like the foam insulation idea. I shouldn't be so anal about my bikes, but if I can avoid paint damage I will definitely try!

Thanks for the review on the Thelma too. I did some research on that and it looks like it might not work the best with my P2 and I read the same thing you stated. The plastic bends after a while and becomes unstable. There will be a lot of wind if we put the top down so I definitely need something sturdy. 

2014-05-06 4:49 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Bikes

Thanks for the review and pic Monica. That looks like the Hollywood brand that I have looked at online. Same idea, looks like it might hold the front wheel a bit better and it is even a bit cheaper. Thanks!

2014-05-06 4:52 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

No problem, glad I could help!! 

If you want to know more about it - it's a BTer that has the rack so you might want to PM Whizzz for her input.  As far as I can tell though, it's been a really good one & she uses it almost every weekend in the summers.    

2014-05-06 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

No problem, glad I could help!! 

If you want to know more about it - it's a BTer that has the rack so you might want to PM Whizzz for her input.  As far as I can tell though, it's been a really good one & she uses it almost every weekend in the summers.    

One quick question. It looks like the two hooks are joined together so they slide up and down together? So you have to put both bikes up there, hold them in place and then lower the hooks over both bikes at the same time?

Thanks

NVM: found another pic and it looks like they move separately. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-05-06 5:09 PM
2014-05-06 5:56 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I bought this Nashbar version similar to the stickup.  It was a grand total of $105 shipped with one of their holiday specials on top of the sale price.

I also have one of these Yakima Fullswing racks, an older model but works great for long distance FL-NY trips with the family bikes on the SUV:

2014-05-06 6:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Good idea on the chamois. I was trying to think of the best material to not scratch paint, was thinking microfiber towel but i bet chamois would work even better. 

Couple more questions.

1. Some say the hitch sways a lot, ie does not fit tight in the receiver. Mine would be the 1 1/4" so not as big a problem. But I thought the threaded hitch pin was supposed to stop the movement. Does yours move around? Are people just not tightening the hitch pin down enough?

Thanks for the help. Based on my research and your good review it looks like I might be going with this rack and saving myself $225.

Nah, I crank my threaded pin down and it doesn't sway. (maybe a tad but I don't want it to be completely rigid so that it doesn't eat any road vibration)  We've hauled our bikes across the country numerous times with no issues.  I don't think there is a way to lock it so you can't steal the hitch, but apparently nobody wanted it in the 3 years we've had it......probably due to the bad reviews you noted.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-06 6:31 PM
2014-05-07 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Couple more questions.

Nah, I crank my threaded pin down and it doesn't sway. (maybe a tad but I don't want it to be completely rigid so that it doesn't eat any road vibration)  We've hauled our bikes across the country numerous times with no issues.  I don't think there is a way to lock it so you can't steal the hitch, but apparently nobody wanted it in the 3 years we've had it......probably due to the bad reviews you noted.

Or perhaps because they see you get out of the Suburban with a gun on your hip!

Thanks for the info. My LBS is a Yakima dealer so I may just have to have them order me a Stickup. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Show me your rack! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2013 Totals.... I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;-) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Fred D
Views: 5620 Posts: 96

2014-01-11 11:57 PM pnwdan

Racking the Bike

Started by HBchinadoll
Views: 599 Posts: 3

2004-05-16 7:56 AM Machiavelo

bike racks

Started by evrunning
Views: 651 Posts: 2

2004-04-20 9:45 PM malvey

Recommendations for bike rack?

Started by stevenrh
Views: 793 Posts: 3

2004-04-08 2:45 PM coredump

In need of a roof mount bike rack

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1584 Posts: 8

2004-03-10 10:44 AM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!