Lincoln Track Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = 87/8876
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 19/612
Pre-race routine:

We signed up for this event at the urging of my wife, who wanted to sign up at the urging of her friend, who wanted to sign up at the urging of her husband. Said husband is a Kansas National Guardsman and wanted to run this race (which is sponsored by the National Guard) so that he could qualify to be apart of their National marathon team. He also wanted to qualify for Boston as well. I had no interest in doing the marathon but gladly signed up for the half. It's also hard to turn down the opportunity to race in my old college town, which I don't get to visit as much.

We spent Saturday walking around downtown, getting lunch, and doing the packet pick-up thing. Then we headed towards the Haymarket district later for dinner. I used to work at a restaurant here (Lazlos) in college and boy has this area changed in the last year or so. All prompted by the building of the new basketball arena, et al. Lots of restaurants and bars, of which had great outdoor seating, and it would've been an excellent evening to sit outside and drink the night away, but alas we were in town for other reasons. So we headed back to our hotel rooms to get off of our feet and rest.
Event warmup:

Up at 10 til 5:00. Breakfast, then walk to the starting area. Stood in line for the bathrooms and then got ourselves positioned with less than five minutes to go. Perfect.
Run
  • 1h 27m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Jason, the fella looking to BQ and National Gaurd team qualify, asked what time I was hoping for. Considering how I've felt on my long runs and that I was training through this event I said anything below 1:30 would be great (roughly two min off PR). He was hoping for a 3:00-3:05 marathon time and suggested we run together. That was OK with me, but I wasn't sure how long that would last considering he is a bit faster than me (considerably on shorter distances).

My legs felt fine for the first half of the run but the entire time my heart rate was elevated higher than I thought it should be, especially for the first opening miles. The first mile was at a 6:53 split and that felt kinda hard. So doubt started to creep into my mind as to whether I was going to be able to hold my pace and have a successful race. But Jason, who is also a high school cross country coach, kept encouraging me and talking about how he was happy with the pace we were moving at. In my mind I kept saying "that's wonderful but I don't know how long I can hang on to this pace." But hang on was what I was going to do until something kept me from doing otherwise.

I was doing some serious work, Jason seemed like he was out for a nice easy run, talking me up. I had tunnel vision, really only focusing on the few other runners ahead of me and keeping Jason just off of my hip. He must have noticed my breathing because he threw out some of his coaching advice and had me focus on controlled breaths. Despite all of this we were putting up good splits, getting faster in fact. We also kept picking out people ahead of us and slowly reeling them in.

After the mile 7 mark we were coming up on a drink station and I told Jason I was going to walk it so that I could take in a scheduled GU. He wished me luck and surged on ahead without me. However, the stop was on the narrowish trail, with volunteers on both sides. I was concerned with stopping right in front of someone and knocking them over, so I just slowed to an 8:30 pace and tried to stay in the center of the path. Mile 8 had a bitch of a hill to go up and by mile 9 my legs were really starting to feel fatigued. Both miles produced 6:45 splits and I thought things might be starting to go down hill, but I rebounded for miles 10 and 11 with 6:39 splits. The final two miles flat out hurt; just pushing as much as I could muster out of my legs. One foot in front of the other as fast as I could.

It was super, super awesome to finish at the 50 yard line of Memorial Stadium. As a big Husker fan who never gets the opportunity to go to Lincoln for games anymore I was geeking out a bit about this. Great finish. Great day. And a new PR.

Split Time Dist Avg Pace
1 6:53.0 1.00 6:53
2 6:34.5 1.00 6:35
3 6:37.9 1.00 6:38
4 6:34.8 1.00 6:35
5 6:30.8 1.00 6:31
6 6:26.5 1.00 6:26
7 6:29.4 1.00 6:29
8 6:44.6 1.00 6:45
9 6:45.9 1.00 6:46
10 6:38.6 1.00 6:39
11 6:39.6 1.00 6:40
12 6:51.2 1.00 6:51
13 6:45.8 1.00 6:46
14 1:21.4 0.21 6:36
Summary
1:27:53.9 13.21 6:39
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the field and under the stadium to cool down. Waited for my wife, her friend, and ultimately Jason (who did BQ with a 3:00 time) to finish. It was an hour and half of waiting around, but that was cool with me. Snapped lots of pics on my phone to share with my Husker family.

I've got to give credit to Jason for pushing my pace during the first half of the race. I likely would've backed off my pace early on but he kept me going. Never would have PR'd otherwise.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not concentrating my training on this specific race. Cold winter = treadmill runs and shortened long runs.

Event comments:

Great race. Well supported. People cheering you on the ENTIRE course. The community really comes out and supports this race. The four of us who did this race all agreed we would gladly come back and do this race again.

Last updated: 2014-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:49 | 13.1 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/612
Overall: 87/8876
Performance: Good
See Below
Course: Singular loop with miles 6-9 on a paved trail. Primarily flat. Slow climb from miles 2.5 to 5. Hill at mile 8.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-07 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Lincoln Half-Marathon

2014-05-08 12:17 AM
in reply to: #4992861

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Lincoln Half-Marathon
Dayum Mike, great run! You matched my 5K pace this past Saturday!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon

Started by aliclimb
Views: 1566 Posts: 4

2008-05-04 10:25 PM lastcall2003

Started by jeff417
Views: 1460 Posts: 4

2007-05-10 7:29 AM jeremy_424

2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon

Started by jeremy_424
Views: 1083 Posts: 3

2007-05-07 9:04 PM davealt

Started by KMac40
Views: 1412 Posts: 3

2007-05-10 1:32 PM marymosc13

Lincoln Half Marathon

Started by gpsgawain
Views: 803 Posts: 1

2005-05-01 11:38 PM gpsgawain
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.