General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70.3 Swim Fail! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-14 10:51 AM

User image

Subject: First 70.3 Swim Fail!
So unfortunately my first 70.3 ended in a DNF. My training was going fairly well (not as great as I would of liked but what I thought was pretty good) until about a month and a half ago. After a long pool session I started having alot of pain in my shoulder. Unfortunately for me this shoulder is a problem shoulder from an old injury but tends to only flair up sometimes. I took it easy from swimming for about a week and a half and got back in the pool for a nice easy "test the shoulder day" I felt ok that day but had pain the next day and decided my best course of action was just to rest it. With only a month before my 70.3 I was unsure what to do.. defer to next year (probably best plan) or rest it til the race and give it my best shot. Well of course I opted for the second option. I continued with bike and run training and just hoped for the best for race day that I could get through that 1.3 miles. Well race day came and I felt pretty good. Then I put on my full wet suit and immediately thought I hope this doesnt actually make the stress on my shoulder worse.. well I made it through the first 1/3 of the swim and thats about all it took. Shoulder was in a good amount of pain. I tried breast stroke but it didnt help much. Swam over to a lifeguard and got taken in. At this point im feeling pretty bummed out and tried to decide wether to do the bike/run portion. I figured I've already paid and drove down for the event.. I might as well at least do them. So after a quick stop to let the GF know I was alive.. I continued on the journey. In retrospect I'm glad i did instead of moping around being bummed out. I'm still mad I didnt completely finish but I should of known going into it.. that the shoulder wouldn't hold up. Lots of great volunteers helped to make the day good after all!! And now i have an appointment to get the shoulder looked at and hoping my tri season/surf season isn't over so early in the year!!

2014-05-14 10:55 AM
in reply to: SR2518

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: First 70.3 Swim Fail!
Injuries happen, part of the challenge of triathlon, especially HIM and IM distances, is getting to the starting line healthy. Good luck healing up and coming back strong.
2014-05-14 11:35 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

Orange County, California
It's hard to differentiate between pain v.s. injury. Sounds like you were hoping the shoulder pain would go away and you could power through it with all your adrenaline. I think it's always best to play it safe and see a doctor. An hour and a $25 copay can go a really long way from preventing a serious injury as well as give you some peace of mind.

Hope everything checks out and you can come back strong!
2014-05-14 1:17 PM
in reply to: SR2518

User image

aside from resting what else do you do for your shoulder? I've found for mine when it flares up (old injury from crew) that pressure point by my chiropractor as well as an adjustment seems to help
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 70.3 Swim Fail! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First ride with TrainerRoad fail!

Started by Meathead
Views: 905 Posts: 8

2014-04-30 7:54 AM brigby1

First OWS fail!

Started by respro
Views: 2764 Posts: 12

2013-06-28 11:04 AM Tri Swim Coach

Epic swimming fail in the making?

Started by Danno77
Views: 915 Posts: 7

2012-04-09 11:12 PM djake80

First Swim in a Wetsuit - First Swimming Lesson

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1554 Posts: 7

2010-06-07 1:43 PM lvthgme

Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please

Started by anturtle
Views: 964 Posts: 3

2007-02-21 8:36 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : October 30, 2005
author : boneyard
When you can't catch a breath on the swim and your equipment fails, keep trying!!