Kansas City Triathlon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 19s
Overall Rank = 26/394
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 5/65
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Coffee, Oatmeal, and some fruit for breakfast. Arrived at the lake around 5:45 and had coincidentally parked right next to a couple of buddies of mine. Usual pre-race stuff: transition set-up, grab time chip, portapotty stop (x2), and misc chit chat.
Event warmup:

Attempting to put on my game face and mentally prepare myself to go hard and fast.

Air temp was in the 50s and water was at 61 degrees. Waded into the water, swam a few yards out and then back in just to get over any initial shock the cold water might present. With the wetsuit the water wasn't bad at all.
Swim
  • 22m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined myself up front with my age group to start. At the horn there were only two of us out front which made for a very clean start. The other gentleman proved that he was the much faster swimmer, and after a few hundred yards he had passed me, failing to first stay off his left hip and then to stay on his feet. After he was gone I was essentially on my own, weaving in and around the traffic of the two earlier waves for the rest of the swim, but it was nothing too crazy. With about 200 yards to go I spotted another blue cap from my age group off to the right while breathing. I wasn't expecting him. But his stroke looked smooth and strong, whereas mine felt labored and a little erratic. Seeing him made me refocus on my technique and I was thus able to have a good finish while not losing any more time to him.

Great swim overall. Water was a perfect temp with little to no chop. Best time on the swim course by a few seconds.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Long run up to transition. I really struggled to get my wetsuit off of my arms this time while running up to my spot. Usually it's my feet that give me trouble. Respectable transition time. Only hiccup was that the strap on one of my shoes slipped out of the buckle loop and I had to re-thread it through.

4/65
29/394
Bike
  • 1h 08m 56s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I got up to speed fairly well. I noticed that my breathing was not at a labored, panting rate like it usually is coming out of transition. This makes it much more easy to start getting into bike race mode, instead of waiting for things to internally calm down. I attacked the hills as planned: not overly exerting myself getting up the hill and then maximizing my speed as much as I could going down them. I pushed a solid, consistent speed on the flats without overly reaching beyond what I could sustain for long period of time.

Great ride overall. Had a lot of fun out there. A bike course PR by a few seconds from two years ago. Slightly disappointed it wasn't more - I would hope that I would have made more progress in my weakest discipline in that span of time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Smooth and efficient.

5/65
35/394
Run
  • 40m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Another solid leg of the race here. I didn't feel spectacular but my legs were carrying me along at a decent pace. This was a bit of a painful run, but it never got to the point where my pace suffered. Once I hit mile 4 I new I could crank it up a notch to finish the race without having to worry about blowing up.

Another course PR and 10k PR. Perhaps I can pull out a sub-40 minute race split one day?
Post race
Warm down:

Just some socializing after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of outdoor bike riding. I have nothing to be disappointed about in this race. The only thing that keeps me from completely rejoicing in my own performance is my bike split. I would've liked to see something a bit faster, but something like that isn't going to happen for me just because want it to. I've got to do more to earn it.

Event comments:

Well done race. Lots of swag given out. Noticed an increased presence of USAT race officials in transition and on the bike course, which is good.

Last updated: 2014-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:11 | 1640 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/65
Overall: 18/394
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full-sleeve
Course: Counterclockwise rectangle in Longview Lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:56 | 24.85 miles | 21.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/65
Overall: 62/394
Wind: None
Course: Two loop course, with three turnarounds on each lap. Primarily flat, but with a few climbs scattered around to keep it interesting.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:17 | 06.21 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/65
Overall: 23/394
Course: Two lap course on a crushed rock trail. One decent hill before mile 1.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-21 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon

2014-05-31 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4999358

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course
Solid race Mike, Killer run split, so that's how you can go sub 2:20.....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1743 Posts: 8

2012-05-24 8:41 PM montyzooma

Started by bhunt99
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2011-07-06 2:57 PM bhunt99

Started by regan1919
Views: 838 Posts: 1

2011-06-03 11:46 AM regan1919

Started by KCbeginner
Views: 1232 Posts: 3

2011-05-24 7:57 PM montyzooma

Started by RazorTri
Views: 1760 Posts: 5

2011-05-26 2:07 PM marvintpa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.