General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Live Track Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-29 9:58 AM

User image

Long Island, NY
Subject: Garmin Live Track
I have an 810 and was thinking of using the Live Track feature during this weekends Rev 3 Quassy Half so the wife is not waiting around during the bike leg. Has anyone used this feature during a Tri? If so, How did you set it up before hand? I have used it during training rides but never in a race.

2014-05-29 10:33 AM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin Live Track
Originally posted by Jayabusa

I have an 810 and was thinking of using the Live Track feature during this weekends Rev 3 Quassy Half so the wife is not waiting around during the bike leg. Has anyone used this feature during a Tri? If so, How did you set it up before hand? I have used it during training rides but never in a race.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review....

USAT (USA Triathlon) Official Ruling on using LiveTracking during events:

I reached out to USAT Commissioner of Officials Charlie Crawford late last night to get some clarification on the allowances of a device such as the Edge 510/810 with LiveTracking enabled with a cell phone. I outlined four scenarios. Some of them cover the Edge 510/810, and others cover future scenarios that the Garmin team could enable down the road.

Here’s what I asked:

“1) Using a cell phone to provide one-way live tracking of a rider (i.e. location/speed/distance/HR/cadence/etc…). Scenario: Cell phone sits in jersey or saddle bag and passively provides location info to family and friends.

2) Using a cell phone to provide two-way communications between an athlete and someone outside the race (i.e. text messaging/phone calls). Scenario: Rider pulls out cell phone and texts/calls others.

3) Using a cell phone in conjunction with a bike computer on handlebar (i.e. a Garmin unit) to provide one-way live tracking of a rider. Scenario: Rider has cell phone in jersey or saddle bag, which communicates wirelessly to their bike computer on handlebar. Communication is one way, transmitting position/athlete data from bike computer to phone to friends/family. No inbound communications.

4) Using a cell phone in conjunction with a bike computer on handlebar to provide two-way communications (i.e. Coach could send message to rider to ‘rider harder’, without athlete having to touch cell phone, via bike computer on handlebar). Scenario: Rider has cell phone in jersey or saddle bag, which communicates wirelessly to their bike computer on handlebar. Rider is streaming ride data in real-time, and friends/family/coaches can communicate back to rider, which appear on screen in front of them (not on cell phone in saddle bag).”

Here was his response:

“The answer to questions 1-4 are all “Not Legal.” We have made exceptions to the “carry” rule only to allow someone to make an emergency call while off the bike or not making forward progress on the run. Modern smart-phones are also personal audio devices and are forbidden by Articles 3.4i, 5.8, and 6.3.” – Charlie Crawford, January 6th, 2013.
2014-05-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Long Island, NY
Thanks, That answers that question.
2014-05-29 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Can someone explain the reasons for the rule against passively sending data? That is if you have the phone in your pocket (or Garmin on your bike or wrist) and it's just sending the location data to your friends? I understand why it's illegal to RECEIVE information -- but why sending?

Also-- just because something has the potential to be used as an audio device doesn't mean that you will use it.... so just carrying the potential rule-breaker is as bad as actually the act of using it?

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-05-29 4:09 PM
2014-05-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I used the "MyAthleteLive" program at IMAZ and I wasn't in violation of any rules, that I know of.

Must be a little different twist though.

2014-05-29 4:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jblamb1401 2014-05-29 4:43 PM

2014-05-30 7:13 PM
in reply to: jblamb1401

Originally posted by jblamb1401

USAT has verified several times that merely having a smartphone on your person or on your bike is a violation.

edit: .. regardless of its intended/actual use.

I realize that is the rule- I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what the reason is for this. I guess there doesn't have to be logic behind it.
2014-05-31 4:27 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

I used the "MyAthleteLive" program at IMAZ and I wasn't in violation of any rules, that I know of.

Must be a little different twist though.

You cannot play music on it or get coaching tips on it.

2014-05-31 6:17 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by jblamb1401 USAT has verified several times that merely having a smartphone on your person or on your bike is a violation. edit: .. regardless of its intended/actual use.
I realize that is the rule- I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what the reason is for this. I guess there doesn't have to be logic behind it.

How is an official to know how exactly you are using the phone?  It would be a nightmare to enforce so I suspect they just ban it outright.

2014-05-31 10:17 AM

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by jblamb1401 USAT has verified several times that merely having a smartphone on your person or on your bike is a violation. edit: .. regardless of its intended/actual use.

How is an official to know how exactly you are using the phone?  It would be a nightmare to enforce so I suspect they just ban it outright.

What possible benefit could you get from the phone being carrier and only transmitting data? (No headphones of course!)
The only thing I guess is you COULD potentially use it for two-way communication without touching it so I guess that's why it is banned.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-05-31 10:18 AM
2014-05-31 1:01 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Seems very very easy to me:

-In your hand/touching it in any way is a violation.

-In your pocket/saddlebag never seen, never touched is not a violation.

So why is the second scenario still a violation?  Unless you actually ride up to an official and tell them there is a phone in your saddlebag under your spare tube they won't ever know it's there, and it provides no unfair advantage to the competitor, so why is it banned?

2014-05-31 1:01 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Seems very very easy to me:

-In your hand/touching it in any way is a violation.

-In your pocket/saddlebag never seen, never touched is not a violation.

So why is the second scenario still a violation?  Unless you actually ride up to an official and tell them there is a phone in your saddlebag under your spare tube they won't ever know it's there, and it provides no unfair advantage to the competitor, so why is it banned?

2014-06-01 9:32 AM
in reply to: Chillin

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The ban rule is a direct result of the no headphones/no music rule.  It has nothing to do with competitive advantage.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Live Track Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Live Athelte Tracking: Without Smart Phone

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 2626 Posts: 6

2012-05-15 9:07 AM andress2k

Runner Live Tracking App for Droid and Iphone

Started by Cuetoy
Views: 1431 Posts: 14

2011-11-29 7:11 AM Cuetoy

Sports Track Live Anyone?

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 1131 Posts: 1

2009-12-11 9:17 PM AdventureBear

Anyone use Sports Tracks for the Garmin?

Started by xmann1102
Views: 1308 Posts: 16

2009-02-05 11:10 AM xmann1102

Garmin TC software versus Sports Tracks

Started by mbydalek
Views: 786 Posts: 4

2007-06-22 11:37 AM Bcozican
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.