Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 8s
Overall Rank = 12/91
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Normal steel but oats, banana, coffee, rehydrate drink, a gu and O2 gold instead of anti-fatigues. I drove up from goose creek the night before and stayed at my parent's house in laurnes sc. got up in the morning and made the drive to duncan ymca.
Event warmup:

after getting everything in TA setup i took the bike on the run course and then swam 200m. having not driven the course but just using google maps i mistakenly thought the run course was the bike start and the hill that i was dreading was not that bad, i found out during the briefing on the pool deck of my mistake and that the hills were going to be many and frequent.
Swim
  • 07m 51s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

i chattted up the main guy that beats me every race, i can only beat him on the swim and transitions. found out he was starting 5 spots behind me so I would need to work. the pool was kept very manageable in terms of clogging and when you needed to pass there was tons of room. i was able to pass 4 people during the swim. i forgot to look at clock to see exactly how long the swim took but this time also incorporates a long run through the parking lot. I was able to strip most of the speedsuit off during the run, so when i got to TA i stepped out and was off.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

quick TA, really focused of efficiency. I didn't take a gu on TA but took it as soon as I clipped in so I wouldn't waste any time. 1st in age and 22nd overall.

nothing
Bike
  • 39m 29s
  • 13.65 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

tried to go out hard and keep the cadence high. the hills really impacted my race ability to put a faster speed out. I used bontrager aeolus wheels for this race.

nothing, can't train for hills in charelston
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

smooth transition, knew i had to keep it moving or my rival would get me, he entered transition as i was leaving and would overtake me .3 miles into the run. 1st in age and 20th overall.

nothing
Run
  • 23m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

i was hoping the course was long due to my time and everyone else's time jumped by about 1:30-2:00 from the caine halter ymca triathlon the week before but it was right on it was just hilly. overall this was as fast as i could go. i was going to call the run below average but compared to everyone else this was a good run.

more hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

walk the course drank so sports drink and cheered for friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Event comments:

If you are not used to hills then this course is not for you. I know of 7 people that pooped chains during the race and 1 guy that popped his chain twice. seems high for a hilly race but its hilly. the ymca facilities were great. very disappointed that setup events only gave medals to the 1st person in each age group. bring bug spray for post race as the gnats come out to get you. awards were very late starting.

Last updated: 2014-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:51 | 400 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 18/91
Performance: Good
Suit: nineteen frequency
Course: this is and 8 lane 50m length pool and these were some of the widest lanes that i have ever swam on.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:29 | 13.65 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 15/91
Wind: Little
Course: this was and out and back from the ymca with a few turns and a 180 turn at the end of the road. there are hills on this course (going out i hit 41 mph, coming back i was at 9 mph) the entire course you were either climbing or descending. road was mostly smooth, only 1, 1/2 mile stretch of bad road. (my garmin measured the course at 13.65 miles). the course features 460 feet of total climbing but 116 feet of climbing comes in the last mile of the bike course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 89
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:37 | 03.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 17/91
Course: course leave the ymca goes up and down some hills and then winds through a neighborhood only to go through some more hills and then finishes going up a last hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-06-09 6:53 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Middle Tyger YMCA Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Middle Tyger YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Middle Tyger YMCA Triathlon

Started by ratkat
Views: 1313 Posts: 1

2010-06-06 3:56 PM ratkat

Started by ratkat
Views: 1867 Posts: 6

2009-06-03 3:08 PM Happychick

Started by emitch1
Views: 1363 Posts: 2

2008-06-02 1:36 PM swimshady

Started by davelee
Views: 1106 Posts: 1

2007-06-03 2:54 PM davelee

Started by ntucker
Views: 509 Posts: 1

2007-06-03 2:12 PM ntucker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing