IMG
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 43s
Overall Rank = 390/1585
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 50/215
Pre-race routine:

This race s described in all the magazines and interwebz as a bucket list race, one that everyone has to do at least once. I am always a little suspicious of these marketing claims, but I'll start the report out by saying, simply: Do this race. You must, it is the best race I've ever done, from start to finish. Not just the course, which is unique and gorgeous--and hard--but the race organization, from videos on their site, to planned emails on specific topics that actually go out when they say they will. Top notch race all around that I hope never goes away.

That said........

It's an expensive weekend! Not a problem though as there's a lot to do in San Francisco race weekend besides the race, and life is about more than racing anyway. This was race #2 of my 2014 Have Fun year, after the (self inflicted) pressure of doing Ironman Canada last year. This year was just about having cool experiences (I am thinking every year needs to be like this). Not that Whistler wasn't cool, it just had a lot of stress attached to it.

We flew into SF late Friday night. Plans to take the BART and save a little money were thwarted by Southwest's 2.5 hour delay, getting us in midnight-ish. Hence the $60 cab ride to Fisherman's Wharf. Since it seems we are always in SF for some race that involves a swim from Alcatraz, the wharf although touristy just seems a logical place to stay. Stayed at Pier 2620, a hotel I was not familiar with, but would recommend it.

Because it was a race weekend/weekend away combo, had to juggle the race admin duties with having fun duties, and ended up with a jam packed weekend.

Thus Saturday:
-8 am swim at Aquatic Park with Melissa - A bit cold, ice cream headache lasted at least 5 minutes but with two caps was fine.
-Followed by a 15 minute run - legs felt great.
-Followed by packing bike gear and take a Lyft to Sports Basement (AWESOME store, I love that place), to pick up bike from tri bike transport
-Followed by a short ride on the first hill of the course, back to the wharf
-Followed by a walk to pick up bikes from a rental place with Wendy, my sister and one of her friends, for a ride over the GG bridge.
-But on the way, get in line for an hour for race check in.
etc etc.

Suffice to say was a long day. After getting the 5:30 Sausalito Ferry back, we didn't stop and sit until about 6:30. For an hour. After which we walked to Washington Square to meet my sister for dinner. That didn't work out too well, but we ate and got back by 9:30 or so.

Full friggin day, and while I am not going to win a race, I like to try to avoid doing way too much before the race. I mean, I am not a diva that needs to sit in a cool room with soft music, but there is a balance there somewhere.

Made plans to meet Melissa 4:30 ish for the dark ride to transition
Event warmup:

Riding the streetlit San Francisco streets while the arc of the spotlight from Alcatraz swept over the darkness is one of my outstanding memories of the experience.

Melissa and I rode over Fort Mason and within 10 minutes were in line at transition. We said we'd see each other on the bus, but I wasn't sure how that was going to happen. Got into transition and took the bike to a quiet corner to calibrate the power meter. After sever frustrating minutes and tries, it seemed to work. I'd been having "issues" with it lately. I.e., calibrating so that it gives me a "0" power reading while pedaling, and an average power of 47.500 after the ride. I hoped it would work, and decided to leave the garmin on from then on.

Not sure if I asked a question, or he did and I answered it, but across the aisle was Bryan Dunn. Hadn't seen hm since Arizona Ironman 2008, so it'd been a while. We boarded the bus and headed to the piers for the ride to the island.

Hung out with JamieS and his wife on the boat ride over.
Swim
  • 36m 43s
  • 2640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've done this swim 3X before, 2X to aquatic park and once to Crissy Field. Every time has been completely different. I was about to get a fourth. I wasn't particularly nervous about it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous at all.

Watching the pros and the first age groupers, it was funny to watch the pros head straight for the exit, and the amateurs head straight for shore. In this race, although you exit point is at almost 3 on the clock, you aim for the 12, and let the ebbing current do the rest. It was strange to watch swimmers facing, and swimming, in one direction, as they were moving sideways.

I was on the second deck (shoulda stayed on the 1st), and once the horn sounded had a while to wait as I made y way down the external stairs to the first deck. Everyone waiting for the door on the left, the far door had little traffic (i.e., the furthest from shore... as if that would make a difference), so I went for it. Before I knew it, I was over the mat, at the door, and jumping off a perfectly good boat.

I headed for Fontana Towers above Aquatic Park, the first landmark (followed by the Ft Mason trees, the Piers, the dome, and finally the yacht club).

This swim is like a puzzle. I feel like I swam way too conservatively towards shore (you don't want to get to close and get caught in an eddy), and spent the rest trying to get back out to the swimmers to my right. The first 5 minutes, I thought "hey, this is easy!" Then we cleared the lee of Alcatraz or something and it get pretty choppy, enough that I had to switch to breast stroke a few times just to get a site.

Water temp was reported to be 58 and can honestly say it was not an issue at all.

I hadn't really scouted the course, but knew, generally, where the exit was. As I got closer to that beach, I couldn't see anyone on it. Not sure where I was going here.... Then looked again, goggles cleared, and saw the hundreds of people and flags and banner that were invisible to me before. But now I felt as if I was directly offshore from it. I started swimming a bit harder. I didn't want to end up overshooting it and having to run back. Or, for that matter, being swept under the GG bridge never to be seen again. So I swam harder.

Eventually could tell I was hitting the beach fine and let up a bit. It was fun, but I was glad to get that part over with and move onto the bike. For which I had done no scouting whatsoever so had no idea what to expect
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little more aggressively. But I think you can swim this swim 50 times and have 50 different unique outcomes.
Transition 1
  • 08m 36s
Comments:

Long run to actual T1 - as in nearly a mile. Put a pair of shoes in the transition bag along with a small bottle and towel. Stripped the wetsuit and stuffed it in the bag. Ran comfortably but got passed a ton

Finally saw Wendy and my sister along the barriers.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 42s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the first flat part, and the first climb, after that, your guess is as good as mine. I brought the road bike as I had heard that it's not a TT friendly course. I would make that decision every time. There were lots of folks on TT bikes, and some in aero, but honestly it's such a compact course, with narrow streets, bikers bunched up, mostly climbing or descending, that a road bike just makes more sense for me.

Got on the bike and, wouldn't you know it, no power. Plan was to go 260 ish on the flats (what there were - hardly any) and stay under 305 for the climbs (what there were - a lot). So, I guess I'll go by heart rate. Which read.... 0. OK, guess I am racing this "by feel."

It's a beautiful course, going out by Land's End, into GG Park, through lots of neighborhoods. Crowded and narrow. Mostly good pavement, except for the area around the Legion of Honor. Saw the results of one crash on the downhill in this area coming back, ambulance on site.

I just tried to ride every hill conservatively, bomb the descents as safely as I could, and get in the drops in the flats. I was also a little scared of the run, as the bike was a pretty difficult course, so I really held back. I think. I don't know I'd go any faster f I had my powermeter working. Maybe slower.....

Nothing, even without data (which was a good thing) I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Got in, dropped off bike, strapped on shoes.....
Run
  • 1h 06m 25s
  • 8 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Absolutely pleased with this run. Not only did I improve from the bike, a rarity, it was just a shitload of fun.

Headed out on the flats and less than a mile in male winner Andy Potts came flying by. Plan was to hold 8:10 or so in the flats, hold that effort on the climbs, bomb the downhills, and negative split the last 2-3 flat miles.

First mile in right at 8:10 and felt comfortable. Came around the warming hut and hit the stairs heading up. Tried to keep a steady effort and not blow up 2 miles in. Up at the top, after the bridge, the run follows a bluff top trail that is highly technical, twists, turns, stairs, 180 degree turns, really fantastic terrain. Still going up, near the top, a guy i a Timex tri suit came by. Not particularly lean. In fact a little chubby. But running by me. I've been struggling with my run lately and although this run was going well, I thought to myself "now how is he running so well past me?" He stayed in my sights for a while, but then I lost him.

Soon enough the run turns to pavement to begin the descent to Baker Beach, same road we rode on earlier. Back off road to another trial down to the sand. Yes, sand out to the turnaround, after which you are running on a beach with the fog enshrouded GG Bridge in the distance Just fabulous.

The other thing in the distance is the infamous sand ladder, along with Alcatraz an iconic element of this race. Has its own timing split bottom to top. It's I think 4 miles up at a 20% grade. Or maybe it just feels that way. And, at the top, it's not the top, there's still a 1/2 mile or so to go to get to the top.

But then it's all downhill to flat to the finish. Along Crissy Field to the big eucalyptus grove, then you know it's a quick dogleg to Marina Blvd. and straight to the finish. Made the turn, and who do I see about 200 yards ahead, but Mr. chubby Timex guy? OK, haven't had a rabbit this entire race, here it is. Slowly reeled him in and passed him about a quarter mile to the finish.

Turned onto the grass and just enjoyed the finish line experience, with the grandstands on both sides. My goal here was to come in sub 3 hours. Didn't know it until I saw the results that I just made it.

Nothing. Great run for me on a tough course.
Post race
Event comments:

I'll say t again. Do this race. Or actually, don't, so I can get in again :)

Post race the activities didn't stop. Collected gear and dropped the bike at tri bike. Hung out with my sister for a few, then walked back to the hotel, where we got there with 15 minutes to spare to late checkout. Quick shower/pack/checkout then a brisk walk to Pier 35, about 1.5 miles away, for the alcatraz ferry we'd booked. Alcatraz for a couple hours, then back to the hotel, sit for 1/2 hour, Lyft to airport. I was Shattered by the end of that weekend.

But I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Last updated: 2013-10-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:43 | 2640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/215
Overall: 183/1585
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: jump off the boat, swim to shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:42 | 18 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 72/215
Overall: 546/1585
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:06:25 | 08 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/215
Overall: 526/1585
Performance: Good
Course: flat for 1.75 ish miles, up to the bridge, down to and on baker beach, up the sand ladder to the bridge, last 3 miles down to flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-15 8:52 PM

User image

Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

2014-06-16 5:29 AM
in reply to: #5012623

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

Great race Chris!

I had pretty much already decided I was going to put my name in the lottery and this just confirmed it.  Sounds like an awesome experience!

2014-06-16 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Your report of an awesome weekend and great race was too well written!  Now I'll be putting my name in the lottery, too.  

Congrats on a great race and perhaps an even better weekend, and thank you for the terrific RR.

Matt

2014-06-16 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sounds like a truly fantastic weekend!  Congrats on a great run after a tough bike course!

2014-06-16 11:12 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Great job, Chris!  Sounds like we were in the vicinity of each other the whole way.

Definitely a truly epic event - the definition of "Bucket List race".

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

Started by kmarzano
Views: 3278 Posts: 25

2007-06-08 11:43 AM element

Started by juliapurr
Views: 3503 Posts: 22

2007-06-06 6:24 AM KathyG

Started by steamy
Views: 3214 Posts: 16

2007-03-23 2:22 PM isis54

Started by MikeB
Views: 2838 Posts: 7

2006-06-10 9:38 PM cadreamer

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 10758 Posts: 35

2008-01-17 11:40 PM Dr Disaster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.