General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Verona, Wisconsin
United States
Race Day Events
Total Time = 2h 33m 21s
Overall Rank = 15/237
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Swim
  • 25m 22s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Thought I had a decent warm-up and felt good during the swim. Both swim time and gap to the front are much bigger than I thought it should be.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Some day I'll work on this.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 42s
  • 25.6 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Road bike again. No aero position stuff still. Had hoped to hang with a guy I knew who came out just behind me, but performance was way too flat. Keep ending up at ~85% for these. Actual values are higher than previous races, but still stuck at this IF. Time is slow because the course is just that hard with 1800-1900 ft of speed killing southern Wisconsin hills. Should have gone after the KOM up Observatory to at least maybe get something out of it. Ended up going back & forth with another guy much of the bike. Interestingly, I was faster on the descents and flats while he went up the hills a little quicker. Likely just me being more steady in power output.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Just put my shoes on and don't think about the run just yet.
Run
  • 48m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Just ran out easy on this one. I was burning, but legs have come around before. Especially when I underbike. Not this time though. Expected to be well under 7, but was only just under 8. No chance of doing anything great, so just made myself finish and without killing myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate food that was available plus some of my own stuff. Actually got a massage, trapezius muscles had been sore from very early on in the swim and tightened up more during the race. Had a little trouble looking around on the bike & run, so figured I should get this taken care of with a 2 hr drive home. Helped out a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't know what happened. Was incredibly flat in all 3. Was tired early in the week, but thought I had worked that out, doing better as the week went on. Just putting this one behind and moving on.

Event comments:

Like this race with a rather tough course and at least some fast guys from the Madison area always show up (some are and some border pro level). Need to put up a good race here though.

Last updated: 2014-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:22 | 1500 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/237
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 3 laps in a small lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:42 | 25.6 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out, 2 laps, then back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:43 | 06.21 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 3 loops with a tough hill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-07-09 11:51 AM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-07-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: #5023544

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course

Always sucks to come up flat on race day.  Did you taper for the race?  Curious if you tapered too much, resulting in being flat....or not enough, resulting in too much residual fatigue.  Still pretty fast, even on your flat days!

I also find that I have trouble holding my power up where I want it to be.  I can't figure out if it's a mental thing and I'm subconsciously holding back for the run, or what.  Interesting that you struggle with it too.  If you figure out how to get past it, let me know!

2014-07-09 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Ben, those are still  nice times with a nice result (especially on a hilly course), just not quite what you were hoping for and expecting.  Being tired for sure played a part in it.  IMO, 15 overall is hella awesome!   Congrats on AG placement! Podium!

Edited by melbo55 2014-07-09 2:34 PM
2014-07-09 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sorry you aren't happy with your results/performance. Looks great to me!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the podium!

2014-07-10 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

A good race, for sure.  Maybe not what you wanted (and I know how much that sucks), but at least one in the bank.  Some days you just don't have your best legs - even if you do everything right.

Close to 2k feet in 25 miles is fairly hilly - was the run similarly hilly or just the single tough one?

Can't wait to read the next RR that show this to be the anomaly we both know it is! 

Matt

Edit to make distance right…  and to add the second in AG still rocks - regardless of the times/paces you laid down!

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-07-10 11:15 AM
2014-07-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Always sucks to come up flat on race day.  Did you taper for the race?  Curious if you tapered too much, resulting in being flat....or not enough, resulting in too much residual fatigue.  Still pretty fast, even on your flat days!

I also find that I have trouble holding my power up where I want it to be.  I can't figure out if it's a mental thing and I'm subconsciously holding back for the run, or what.  Interesting that you struggle with it too.  If you figure out how to get past it, let me know!

Mostly kept close to race ready from the sprint a couple weeks ago. Less overall volume, but still had some decent workouts in there with intensity. Especially in the week leading up. Some of the power could be trying to maintain it going over the varying terrain, and on this course it changed very frequently. Lot of situations where you're chasing resistance like cresting hills or when descending. Still, it was going to be well short of what I wanted.

2014-07-10 12:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

A good race, for sure.  Maybe not what you wanted (and I know how much that sucks), but at least one in the bank.  Some days you just don't have your best legs - even if you do everything right.

Close to 2k feet in 25 miles is fairly hilly - was the run similarly hilly or just the single tough one?

Can't wait to read the next RR that show this to be the anomaly we both know it is! 

Matt

Edit to make distance right…  and to add the second in AG still rocks - regardless of the times/paces you laid down!

Some other spots go up and down some, but much of the difficulty comes from the one hill. It's a 3 lap course, so we hit it 3 times. My watch hasn't been able to load workouts for some reason. We've all done hills like it, just hard to do several times in a race!

ETA: Found it.

Edited by brigby1 2014-07-10 12:16 PM
2014-07-10 12:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your performance.  Given the level of the competition, you did pretty darn well, IMO, but I understand the frustration of feeling like you underperformed.  As you said, put it behind you and move on (but still give yourself a pat on the back for the AG podium, for heaven's sake!!).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by brigby1
Views: 1777 Posts: 16

2013-07-02 8:11 AM GoFaster

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 1092 Posts: 1

2012-07-03 12:53 PM TUEFELHUNDEN

Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by eazyc10
Views: 907 Posts: 1

2012-07-02 9:16 AM eazyc10

Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 2852 Posts: 23

2012-07-09 10:53 AM ashort33

Started by eazyc10
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2011-06-20 11:29 AM eazyc10
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.