Multisportscanada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 5s
Overall Rank = 86/102
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, drove to Calgary from Red Deer. Picked up my race kit, got the bike checked, set up my transition spot. I watched the start of the Olympic distances, and made some mental notes.
Event warmup:

Didn't really do much - got in the water a bit, but didn't dunk my head. THAT was a mistake, because when I started the swim the cold took my breath away.
Swim
  • 20m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

a) spending more time in the pool
b) buy car - get to open water to do OWS
c) BUY WETSUIT!!!
What would you do differently?:

I would have tried to get used to the water temperature before the race started.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I'm not really sure what my transition time was - I think it was about 4 min, but I could be wrong.

Not much - although this was slow, I think that had more to do with me trying to mentally change gears than anything else. I think I need to work on my head a bit.
Bike
  • 43m 31s
  • 18 kms
  • 24.82 km/hr
Comments:

Every time I did the bike loop, I got a little faster. I actually passed some people, which shocked the heck out of me. Last year my bike time was 1:05:13 for 20km, with an average speed of 22.1km/hr. This year it was almost 3 km/hr faster.

Drink a little more, and not save as much for the run - I was never uncomfortable, so I think I could have gone a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not much for me to change, so I think this went very quickly, although I don't have a time on it.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 18s
  • 4.5 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Comments:

I managed to keep a steady pace, which was good for me. Last year 5K was 35:50 (7:10/km). This year it was 27:18, with a 6:04 pace. Now, granted, this year the course was flat, and last year it most certainly was not, but I'm still pretty psyched about that time difference.

Again, step it up a bit. I felt really good when I was done - I probably could have pushed a bit harder. I'll have to read this over before next summer to remind myself!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and walked for a bit. Got some water and a banana. Drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, my physical fitness for sure. I've only been training for around 2 months - next year I'm going to start earlier. Also, I need to work on my mental game. I keep thinking that I shouldn't be doing a triathlon - I'm not an athlete, and I don't belong. Once I get over that I think everything - races, training, etc., will go a little better.

Event comments:

My only complaint is the construction, and there wasn't much the triathlon crew could have done about that.

Last updated: 2006-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:34 | 750 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 79/102
Performance: Average
The water was so cold I found it hard to breath for the first few minutes. I got kicked a lot too, but what can you do? When I warmed up and found a relatively free spot, it all went much better. Compared to last year's 2:51/100m split time on a 500m swim, I'm pretty happy. I had to breath every second stroke though.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:31 | 18 kms | 24.82 km/hr
Overall: 85/102
Wind: Little
Course: Parts were under construction, and there were some twisty bits, but overally it was really flat. Which I'm certainly not going to complain about!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:18 | 04.5 kms | 06m 04s  min/km
Overall: 86/102
Course: Same as the bike, but on the sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 7:22 PM

Subject: Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Sprint

2006-08-14 10:19 PM
in reply to: #511561

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Sprint

Good Job on your race.

And way to go on beating last years times on everything!

Dan

2006-08-15 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Congrats. We certainly had a nice day weather wise. I thought I had a long commute from Northwest Calgary down to Lake Chapparal but I see you came all the way from Red Deer! At least you are equidistance from events in Edmonton as well. Were you one of the swimmers who did the swim without a wet suit? Brrr. That would be a shock. Keep up the training! See you there next year!
2006-08-15 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go! It sounds like you had a great race. I can't believe you swam without a wetsuit.. You are really hardcore! I am also really inspired by the serious time you cut off your race. I am hoping that next weekend at Strathmore I can get my 5km run time under 30 minutes.

My last 5 km race was 35 minutes, and last 10km race was 1:10. (My OLY run in June was 1:16 on a brutally hilly course). So I am really hoping to really to be a little more hardcore to get those times down.

Great work... hopefully we will meet up at a Alberta Tri some time soon!
2006-08-15 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Wow, I saw a few folks in the swim without a wetsuit - no way I could have completed the swim without one. That lake was cold!

Congrats on the improvements.

2006-08-15 2:58 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations! I did the sprint without a wetsuit last year so I know what that's like. Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed