General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
USA Triathlon
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 44s
Overall Rank = 1573/3061
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 63/137
Pre-race routine:

I got up a bit before 5:00. I came in with my wife the night before and this was the first race she has watched of mine since the Columbus marathon in 1998. I had some pop tarts and a cup of coffee and did some stretching before heading to the race site.
Event warmup:

I did a little light stretching and drank a little perform and some water. I took a Salt Stick capsule just before heading out of transition. I slathered my arms and legs with Body Glide. I had tried on my wetsuit on Thursday and the bottom 3 teeth on one side of the zipper broke off. I fixed it up and got the the zipper to work, but I was worried it was going to get stuck. I swam probably a hundred yards or so before the start of the swim and felt pretty good.
Swim
  • 27m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't push the swim at all. I got screwed up a bit sighting off an incorrect buoy and lost a bit of time, but overall I did about what I planned to do. The exit ramp this year was much less steep than last year, which was nice.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have pushed a bit harder on the swim and not impacted my overall performance. My swim was about 1:20 slower than last year.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

The total distance for T1 was almost a quarter mile. I had a bit of trouble getting my wetsuit off, but other than that it was OK. when i was running with my bike, one of my bottle fell out of its cage and I had to go back and get it. This may have cost me 10-20 seconds. Even with the much longer distance to travel than last year, I was still 14 seconds faster.

Check my bottle cage to make sure it is tight enough.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I was 15 seconds faster than last year. I didn't feel as strong as I thought I would, but I can't complain. I drank plenty and took 2 Saltstick capsules and finished on the 24oz of Perform and drank some water. I felt good I was able to get my HR down from the start to the finish.

I'm not sure. I was pushing fairly hard but trying to save something for the run. I did this was was hoping for a faster time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

My hamstrings were extremely tight when I jumped off my bike. I could barely maintain a shuffle jog, but I kept moving. When I got to my rack, I was planning on changing to my running shoes while standing to save some time, but I didn't think I could maintain my balance and had to sit down. I did get my shoes on quickly and managed to get out of transition a little faster.

Stretch on the bike a bit more before dismount.
Run
  • 46m 52s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel very strong or motivated in the run. It felt hotter than the temperature. My legs were a but tired and I never really got going as well as i would have liked. I was about 5 sec/mile slower than last year. I can't complain too much since this was my second fastest run segment I've had.

I felt like I didn't work harder enough, but looking at my HR data and the fact that I could barely walk afterward, I guess this was a pretty good effort.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do much. I drank a bottle of Gatorade and 1/5 bottles of water and went to change and wait for transition to open. When I got back to the hotel, I took a shower, stretched some, put on the free compression socks they gave out at the race and took a npa for a few hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hamstring issues I've been fighting since April really hampered my training leading up to this race. I also didn't lose the weight i wanted to. I need to be about 10 lbs lighter. The yoga stretching I've been doing the last several weeks has been helping and I realize I need to do this every morning to keep limber.

Event comments:

if I qualify, I'll do this race again. I hope i would qualify earlier so as to not get stuck at the Ramada Inn. that was the last hotel with vacancy and it was kind of dumpy.

Also, order an extra large jacket (or larger). I tried on the "large" jacket after the race and it was too small even for my wife who would wear a small. They ought to refund the price of the jacket.

I can't comment too much about the post-race activities as I didn't stick around after the race. I was not thrilled with the post-race food that was available and the limited hydration available.

Last updated: 2014-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:17 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/137
Overall: 1770/3061
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: The was a swim in Lake Michigan behind a breakwater. It was a clockwise course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:29 | 24.85 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 88/137
Overall: 1693/3061
Performance: Average
Spl mph HRave 5 20.1 155 10 21.5 152 15 20.1 152 20 22.2 150 24.8 20.3 147
Wind: Some
Course: Same course as last year, with mostly pretty flat except for the bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:52 | 06.2 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/137
Overall: 1388/3061
Performance: Good
Splt Pace HRave 1 7:36.8 153 2 7:33.6 155 3 7:39.4 157 4 7:44.2 160 5 7:25.9 163 6 7:38.6 164 7 6:35 168
Course: Flat course along the lake. A pretty easy course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-11 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by tulkas
Views: 1892 Posts: 5

2013-08-15 2:18 PM blueyedbikergirl

Started by Live2ski
Views: 1560 Posts: 1

2013-08-13 9:17 PM Live2ski

Started by andyrph
Views: 992 Posts: 1

2013-08-12 3:27 PM andyrph

Started by Ershk
Views: 1919 Posts: 7

2013-09-16 8:02 AM sbrdave

Started by switch
Views: 3910 Posts: 25

2014-03-28 2:54 AM midwesttrimom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.