United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 53m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 54/75
Pre-race routine:

I flew to Detroit on thursday after work and Pumpkin picked me up. We drove to Lansing and then on friday went and gathered some things I needed for the race. We drove over to the western side of the state friday and got checked into the hotel and the race. We found a nice place for dinner and called it a night early. I swam friday at the venue and the water was frigging cold for this florida girl!!!! My bike had arrived safely with TBT.

Saturday we went over and I got my bike and did a little ride then racked it and we went back to the hotel and hung out in the hot tub most of the afternoon. Dinner and to bed. We are SO exciting I know :)

Race morning I had my usual diet coke and poptart breakfast. D had volunteered in the penalty tent and we got a park super close parking pass which was the bomb. I got body marked and the guy asked me if I was a pro...bahahaha..No but thank you: )Set up my stuff and sat in the car until it was time to tromp down the beach for the point to point swim. We had to walk the 1.2 miles down the beach to get to the swim start which was challenging. I was glad I could swim back!! I got in the water just to get a layer of water in my wetsuit so I would not be so cold when I started. Gave D a kiss and went into the corral.
Event warmup:

I got in the water to get wet but mostly just to get a layer of FREEZING water in my wetsuit in an attempt to stay warm. There was that 1.2 mile tromp thru the sand to get to the swim start.
Swim
  • 43m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was cold for me. I drafted some. I kept trying to swim out into lake Michigan. My left hand went numb. Overall a disappointing performance.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more? No idea.
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

I WALKED up the sand cliff into transition. Got my wetsuit off and put my helmet and glasses on. I bike sockless for under IM length race. It was a LONG LONG way to get out of transition. It was just a long narrow area.

I didn't want to turn an ankle in the sand and didn't want to tear up my feet on pavement so there it is.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

This was pretty much the only part of the race that went well. I rode comfortably within myself and my abilities. I did not push the pace at all. I reverse split and averaged almost 19MPH the second half. It was hilly for a girl from Florida and I handled them just fine. Got passed by some people passed others back. there was a little wind but nothing compared to what I am used to riding in. I had about 50-60 oz to drink on the bike and 2 gels. I was not sweating nearly as much as I normally would on a ride of this length but it was also much cooler than what I am used to. I had a lot of fun with this. I was hoping for under 3:15 expecting 3:30 and went 3:03 I have no complaints. LOTS of wrecks due to people taking the corners too fast.

In the last few miles of the bike there was a guy on the side of the road playing a trumpet. He was super cool. He was playing the theme from Rocky as I went by and I dropped into my aero bars and clapped for him. D was working the penalty tent at the entrance to T2 and I waved to him.

I played this perfectly. Way better than I could have hoped for
Transition 2
  • 06m 43s
Comments:

No I didn't have a tea party in T2. My rack was RIGHT at the bike in and I got off and racked. Then I sat down and carefully cleaned my feet then applied a blister bandage and kinesio tape to my left foot where I blistered last week. Socks and shoes. Yeah it takes a few extra minutes but if I blister I am dead in the water. Then I got up put on belt and hat and used the porta potty too. Did I mention that transition was LONG and narrow? It was like 1/4 mile long or so. walked/jogged to the run exit.

Not have shitty feet? Oh yeah thats not an option.
Run
  • 3h 53m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 17m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

This went terribly wrong pretty quickly. The really sad part is I was very optimistic about this run. I have been running well for me the last month or so and I felt awesome off the bike. I had my new Hokas on and my feet felt amazing in them. No foot pain WOOHOO. I ran out of transition and ran the first 5 minutes then 1 minute walk then ran 4 minutes WHOA NELLY....there is a frigging CLIFF at the 1 mile mark. Holy steep hill bat man. Yeah I walked up that sucker as did everyone around me. So we get to the top and there is a gentle down hill into a neighborhood. OK.....still trying to maintain a 4:1 Then went to 3;1....then a 1:1 WTF? WHY is this so hard?Why am I winded? Why do I want to throw up????? Why does it feel like i might pass out????? OK walk a bit

We turn onto a busy road then again to gt to the whirlpool campus. Hot as blazes but nothing I am not used to. I am about at mile 3 and I am already on a death march. OK only 10 more miles I can do 10 easy right? No problem. There was an aide station at the entrance and I took a cup of ice and a cup of water. Drank the water then put some of the ice in the empty cup so I had a cup of ice in each hand to try to keep me cold. Ran down a little hill then the uphills again. It seems like the entire run was uphill. At least it was somewhat shady back there. Came out of the woods and by this point it was pretty much walk, or try to run and throw up or pass out. I trudged forward. It sucked. A lot.

Came out of the whirlpool campus and there is another frigging cliff to go up. NO ONE was even attempting to run up this mother. I stopped once in the middle of it. There was the same gentle downward slope going back thru the neighborhood for loop 2. I used gravity and ran a bit. I don't think I ran even a mile of the last 10 of the run. I was in a really bad place. I wanted to quit I never want to do a triathlon again. WTF was I thinking I can't do IMFL I never want to suffer like this again. I mean seriously lets suffer badly for a frigging 8 hour 1/2 iron? Whats the point? I was pitiful out there. Really stunk it up. FINALLY the second loop and the second battle with the cliff which I could hardly even walk up (It was truely and utterly PATHETIC) was done. I managed to finish up somehow

I don't even know why this went so badly esp as I felt awesome off the bike and the first mile. I DID NOT GO TOO HARD ON THE BIKE. Seriously I went pretty easy. Certainly the hills were a problem. I got dehydrated but I didn't start out that way. If I had run with a hand held bottle it would have helped a little I think. I am used to running in far hotter temperatures. My legs HURT. The hokas kept my feet happy the first 10 miles which is saying something. I NEVER feel sick. Seriously I have an iron stomach. I could eat a tuna melt on the bike and be fine.

I wish I knew. I try really really hard to get better on the run and nothing works.
Post race
Warm down:

Found D and I sat on the swings in the playground for a little then I went and got my bike and stuff and dropped the bike with TBT (WONDERFUL service) I didn't want to stand in line for crappy pizza hut pizza so we left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

good question

Event comments:

The race is good. The venue is weird and probably only there because Maytag/Whirlpool is a major sponsor. Hotels are scarce and far, well ours was not but I got really lucky. The bike course was fun the run course was not good for me. I think they need more aide stations on the run. 2.5 miles apart on an 89 degree day is a bit much.

Even now 8 days later I am unsure why the run went so horribly wrong. I was in a good mental place about it was all stoked up to not completely suck and I fell apart hard and fast. No idea

Last updated: 2014-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:49 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/75
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Point to point in Lake MIchigan
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:03:35 | 56 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/75
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Kind of a jagged lollipop around MI farm country
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:53:49 | 13.1 miles | 17m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/75
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops HILLY
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-18 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

2014-08-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5040671

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

I'm sorry you had such a tough time on the run, and having those questions still unanswered as to why must be frustrating. 

If you decide to keep training for IMFL, I hope you enjoy the training, and better yet, I hope you enjoy race day!!    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

Started by jazz82482
Views: 2639 Posts: 5

2011-08-22 5:22 AM canadarn2001

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

Started by uihockey2
Views: 1487 Posts: 1

2011-08-17 11:19 AM uihockey2

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

Started by drclwalton
Views: 2079 Posts: 3

2011-08-16 8:33 AM yeats

2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon

Started by Ben_Tri-ing
Views: 2373 Posts: 2

2010-08-02 10:08 AM Marvarnett

2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon

Started by Silver_wlf
Views: 2788 Posts: 6

2010-08-06 1:07 PM Techdiver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.