General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ludington, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 50s
Overall Rank = 2/92
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Needed to be up early since I missed online registration and did not want to wait in a line for 30+ minutes getting registered.

Breakfast: plan bagel w/ PB, yogurt, one cup coffee, sipped gatorade on way to site.
Event warmup:

Got to site at 6:15 and got registered quickly. Setup transition and got about 10 minutes of swim warmup in.

GU gel 15 minutes before start.
Swim
  • 17m 1s
  • 1093 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really confident with my swim right now so started front row and on the buoy line to get the straightest shot even if it meant having a little more contact.

Gun went and there were about 5 of us that got off quick and 2 guys quickly went off the front. I settled in next to and then behind two guys on the first section along the breakwall. Easy to navigate this section with the breakwall there. I was swimming well and then made the turn for a 100 meters before turning back towards shore.

The section back to shore is right back into the sun and tough to site. I was able to locate the exit banner and kept sighting off that but seemed to be quite a bit off the buoy line and not sure if I was really off course. the buoys seemed on a diagonal but figured I would get back towards the line unsure if I went off course a bunch or not.

Really was swimming strong and was 5th out of the water and felt good with 17:00 on the clock - dramatic improvement from the last few times at this race.
What would you do differently?:

Sight a bit more on the return leg to ensure I was on the buoy line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Wetsuit came off reasonable well and then was able to buckle the helmet quickly so this was pretty quick.

Shoes were already on bike and ran to mount line.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 04m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Really felt solid on this ride. Since Grand Haven run went so well I thought I would target about 245W on the bike to be able to run well.

Started out pretty strong - passed 2 guys within 5 minutes of transition and was quickly into 3rd place. I played back and forth with one of them until 10K before I was able to breakaway.

I passed 2nd place at about 20K still riding and feeling very good. I was not able to get an idea of 1st place until the out and back section so the longer I did not see him the better. Finally I saw him and was not far back at all.

We eventually merged in with the Sprint distance and had no idea where he was at. The last 10K was directly into a headwind and figured this would be good for me and I could make up some serious time. I just tucked in and held my watts.

Made up 2 minutes on the bike to 1st place. I also managed to fall at the dismount line and get pretty banged up but grabbed my bike and hustled into transition.

Not fall at the dismount line.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Even with the fall, this was the fastest T2 in the race.

I was in a state of shock from the fall and limping a little bit but being in a position to win I was not going to stop.

Not fall.
Run
  • 39m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming off the fall, my stride was not exactly fluid but I was able to really settle in after about a mile and things loosened up. I started at about 6:45-6:50 pace and then gradually descended pace to where I was running 6:30-6:35.

I felt really good on this entire run and at the first spot where I would be able to see the leader I was getting very close. He was about 90 seconds up the road. There was one turnaround in the park where I would get a better idea and at this point I really felt like I might be able to catch and pass him. I just kept the hammer down and hoped for the best.

Making the turn back on to the main roadway and 2.5K left we merged in with the sprint distance and I had no idea how far ahead he was I just ran as hard as I could. I finished really strong and crossed the line with 2:02 on the clock.

Really happy with the result.

Good performance after a bad run at Steelhead.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Got bandaged up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could not have gone much faster today.

Event comments:

The venue is one of the best in the state.

The post race (food, drink, etc..) was not very good.

I did not stick around for awards since they were not getting started until 11:30.

Last updated: 2014-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:01 | 1093 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 8/92
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Lake Michigan inside harbor - some chop with the east wind. Rectangle course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:46 | 24.85 miles | 23.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 1/92
NP: 242W AP: 239W IF: 1.01
Wind: Some
Course: Along Lake Michigan with some rollers on the Olympic course and several hairpin turns.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 87
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:24 | 06.21 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 2/92
Course: Along the beach roadway and then on bike path for middle 5K. Flat with only one long incline at the sprint turnaround.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-26 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by scuff
Views: 992 Posts: 1

2013-08-26 3:38 PM scuff

Started by MSU_Brad
Views: 1561 Posts: 9

2013-08-19 3:53 PM mcmanusclan5

Started by Jeff269
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2012-09-06 11:53 AM Jeff269

Started by leedyb
Views: 1346 Posts: 2

2012-09-06 12:10 PM Jeff269

Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by mbruce639
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2011-08-23 9:36 PM mbruce639
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.