General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic two weeks prior to Half? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-05 2:36 PM

NJ
Subject: Olympic two weeks prior to Half?
I am doing the Princeton 70.3 on Sept 21 and just received an email about an Olympic and Sprint distance race that is going on this weekend only a few miles from my home. What say you BT’ers?

Would you do the Olympic? Or Sprint (distance is half Olympic)? Or neither and just continue on your normal training for the next two weeks?

If I don’t go all out and take it a little easy, it could be a good dress rehearsal for the ½.
I don’t think either distance at this point will cause any ill effects to my last week of training, besides making Monday a rest day, but should be fine to crank it up for one last week beginning Tuesday.
What do you think?

2014-09-05 3:06 PM
in reply to: MKarp

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Olympic two weeks prior to Half?
Originally posted by MKarp

I am doing the Princeton 70.3 on Sept 21 and just received an email about an Olympic and Sprint distance race that is going on this weekend only a few miles from my home. What say you BT’ers?

Would you do the Olympic? Or Sprint (distance is half Olympic)? Or neither and just continue on your normal training for the next two weeks?

If I don’t go all out and take it a little easy, it could be a good dress rehearsal for the ½.
I don’t think either distance at this point will cause any ill effects to my last week of training, besides making Monday a rest day, but should be fine to crank it up for one last week beginning Tuesday.
What do you think?

If you want to do it, I would say go for it. You have 2 weeks of recovery, and the Oly distance is probably short of what you would be doing on your plan anyway right?
2014-09-05 3:12 PM
in reply to: mike761

NJ
The distance is indeed shorter than what I have planned for over the next week and 1/2, but I wouldn't be doing all three back to back in training. I could use the open water swim, would be nice to get out of the pool.
2014-09-05 3:49 PM

Personally I like to race, so there would be no question I would do the race. The recovery from an Oly is quick anyway so it should not take anything away from your training, i.e. need extra rest.
2014-09-05 3:58 PM

User image

Assuming that your training is on track, no injuries, etc...I think an Oly 2 weeks prior to a HIM is ideal.  Plenty of time to recover as you will be starting to taper down anyway.  Good way to test your fitness, practice transitions, and the whole race day routine.  Don't take it easy...race it.

2014-09-05 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Sounds like a no brainer to me but I also love to race.

Heck, ride your bike to the race and ride it home.  Make it a long training day.

2014-09-05 6:05 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk
Sounds like a no brainer to me but I also love to race.

Heck, ride your bike to the race and ride it home.  Make it a long training day.

This exact thing came up in a conversation this week with my coach about my 2015 plan. I have a few races that are pretty close together. He said that if I had a race that I wanted to do (say a 10K) on a day where he wants me to do a long run of 13 miles, he would have me run 4 miles before the race as a warm up in Z2/Z3, then run the race at race pace, then run 3 more after the race as a cool down in Z1/Z2. Basically the race is like a big block of speedwork inside of a long run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic two weeks prior to Half? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pacing an Olympic Tri prior to Half Iron

Started by scottycards
Views: 1057 Posts: 4

2012-09-17 10:39 PM southwestmba

Two Tri's In Two Weeks w/ One week of Training

Started by XCtoTri
Views: 2423 Posts: 13

2012-08-13 11:55 AM XCtoTri

olympic 2 weeks prior to HIM

Started by jcoop_00
Views: 986 Posts: 6

2011-01-19 11:47 AM birkelb

Half Marathon - Olympic Tri Two Weeks Apart

Started by mr2tony
Views: 807 Posts: 4

2007-05-08 12:11 PM mr2tony

Olympic two weeks before first HIM?

Started by sranney
Views: 954 Posts: 6

2006-11-16 7:55 AM Birkierunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : July 19, 2009
author : mikericci
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : Team BT
This training plan allows you to add two days of strength training to any other plan
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is around 11 hours.

The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is 14 hours in week 5.