Chicago Half Marathon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30am, picked up my uncle, arrived at 5:45am, parked in the same place as last year, right by the starting line, free parking. Win. Met up at the Oasis tent where Carson realized he left his Dexcom (blood sugar monitor) in the car. Glad we parked close. Dad left to go get it and he had the backpack with him with my insulin and stuff in it. Had to wait about 20 minutes for him to get back. Right when he got back the Oasis people wanted us all to gather together, team captains gave speeches, we prayed, took photos, etc and we were getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Horrible. They took WAY too long with stuff. Ended formal Oasis stuff at 6:35, corrals closed at 6:45 and we weren't READY. Scrambled at the last minute to take insulin, inhalers, potty stop, get belts on and EAT. I was super flustered. And itchy from mosquitos.
Event warmup:

None. Just got in the corrals barely in time.
Run
  • 2h 24m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

Carson (age 14) and his friend Matt had strict instructions to stay together during the race, so I wasn't worried when they bolted as soon as we crossed the start line. I was still flustered from the prerace rush and my watch said 9:10 at mile 1. Woah. WAY TOO FAST. I slowed down, kept running, saw Todd at mile 4. And then my right IT band started hurting. Ugh. It hasn't hurt all season but this race is on concrete and I train exclusively on a limestone paved trail. The streets were really slanted too and I could feel it.

Had a GU and salt stick at mile 5 which is when I decided to walk a little every mile. I walked some before that but only for about 10 seconds at a time. One voice in my head said I should walk and the other said RUN DAMMIT ITS A RACE.

IT band started to feel better at mile 6 and by then you could see people coming back the other way. I started looking for Carson and Matt then. That made those miles go fast. I soon saw Matt flying WITHOUT CARSON. He said Carson was right behind. Saw Carson and he said his blood sugar was low and but he was ok. So he was off and out of sight and I was like CRAP, Matt is not stopping and Carson's struggling and I'm about 2 miles behind them. So I spent miles 7-10 totally worried about Carson especially when an ambulance drove by with the lights on. Todd calls me at mile 10 and said Matt just crossed the finish line and asked if Carson was with me. NO!!!!! I was panicked. He called back at mile 11 and Carson just crossed. Whew.

But to back up, I had another GU and salt stick at mile 9 and by mile 10 my IT band was really hurting again. It was getting warm (mid 70's) and sunny and I was tired. Had to walk a lot at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe train on concrete.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the Oasis Tent. Limped I should say.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Concrete. Would have liked it just a little cooler. Worrying about my diabetic son didn't help. Although he did awesome and finished in 2:02 despite his friend ditching him.

Event comments:

Tons of drinking stations and volunteers. Lots of bathrooms, medical help, etc. Too many bees and mosquitos in the park post race. It was crazy.

Last updated: 2014-08-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:04 | 13.1 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 1st 4 miles went through Jackson Park, then up Lakeshore Drive and back. Concrete most of the way, some asphalt in the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-07 1:25 PM

User image

, Florida
Subject: Chicago Half Marathon

2014-09-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: #5047626

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Chicago Half Marathon

Nice finish even with all the worries.

2014-09-08 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5047626

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Chicago Half Marathon

Great job to you and Carson! Thank goodness you had your phone! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago Half Marathon

Started by TrishaK
Views: 1306 Posts: 2

2006-10-03 8:55 PM Grizdog

Chicago Half Marathon

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 1639 Posts: 9

2006-10-02 3:27 PM JJCraig

Chicago Half Marathon

Started by sjlschafer
Views: 1273 Posts: 1

2006-03-06 10:17 AM sjlschafer

Chicago Half Marathon

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 760 Posts: 4

2005-09-25 6:13 PM hpadkisson

Chicago Half Marathon

Started by julesf
Views: 979 Posts: 3

2004-09-21 12:48 AM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.