United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 22s
Overall Rank = 529/1751
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 52/97
Pre-race routine:

The day before the race I walked a 5k for the SLO County Heart Walk held at Avila Beach. I was tempted to run it but wanted to save my legs. In the evening I had my traditional pre-race sushi and tried to get to sleep fairly early.

Woke up at my scheduled time but still felt a little rushed as my ride was on it's way. Almost forgot my GPS watch and ended up forgetting my cell phone, no music for me! Got to the course start, chatted with friends, lined up and was ready to go!
Event warmup:

While lined up I had my pre-race Clif mocha shot and moved my legs to get some blood flowing.
Run
  • 1h 53m 22s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year this race was my first half marathon so I took it easy to ensure finishing. This year, after 4 more HM's, I decided to let my pace be determined by how I felt along the way and let myself go "fast" if I was feeling good.

From the start I went with the flow and weaved my way through some of the slower runners. First mile pace: 8:47 and feeling good, go with it! The first 4 miles are gently downhill and I let momentum carry me at an average of about 8:40, which is about 30-40 seconds faster than my usual training pace. Felt good so I kept it up, trying not to think about breaking the 2 hour barrier for the first time.

At mile 5 I hit the first very gentle uphill and slowed down a touch but still kept my pace under 9:00. The next couple of miles had some flats and some small rollers making for a mixed pace, still feeling good and going "fast".

Mile 10 is the only real hill on the course and it's a small one of only about 150' of elevation over a half mile. Slowed down my pace and cruised right up but as I got to the top the tendon down the back of my right leg started to tighten up. I could keep moving, albeit a bit slower and not quite pain free. In the back of my mind I did a bit of math and figured I could still hit the sub 2 hour mark even if I slowed a little. I found a good groove which lessened the pain and kept a nice steady pace until I was in sight of the finish line then picked up my pace a bit to finish steady and smiling as I set my own PR and first sub 2 hour HM!
What would you do differently?:

Not much, great run at a faster pace than I anticipated. Only downside was the tightness in my right leg, not sure what could have prevented that other than going a bit slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out my legs and used a foam roller on my tight right leg.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than the issues with my right leg I ran a faster race than I planned.

Event comments:

Great half marathon, on a fun course.

Last updated: 2014-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:22 | 12.9 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/97
Overall: 529/1751
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/612687027
Course: Point to point, from San Luis Obispo (city) to Shell Beach (sea).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-10-14 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: City to the Sea Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City to the Sea Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

City to the Sea Half Marathon

Started by MOlsen
Views: 965 Posts: 1

2013-10-14 12:43 PM MOlsen

City to the Sea Half Marathon

Started by drw94
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2012-10-14 11:25 PM drw94

Santa To The Sea Half Marathon

Started by jaysinz
Views: 932 Posts: 1

2012-10-01 3:38 PM jaysinz

Waddell & Reed Kansas City Marathon - Half-Marathon

Started by shawn barr
Views: 2665 Posts: 16

2006-10-12 9:56 AM kpallen

Mad City Marathon - Half Marathon

Started by run131
Views: 1726 Posts: 4

2006-05-30 4:01 PM pbarbato
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.