General Discussion Triathlon Talk » northern virginia tri store recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-08-23 8:06 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: northern virginia tri store recommendations?
Hello all... new aspiring triathlete here. I was wondering, what stores do folks recommend around here for tri gear... I don't need tons and tons of stuff, but I'd like to go to a store where there's not a lot of sales pressure, and well-informed people... I live in Sterling and live near Tri-nergy... there's also Bonzai I think, I got my bike at Performance Bike in Tysons, but the people working there are a bunch of bumbling idiots... another story for another day.

So... where do you get your gear?

Thanks
Tim

2006-08-23 8:56 AM
in reply to: #519329

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: northern virginia tri store recommendations?
2006-08-23 12:12 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
The only reason I am reticent to go online is for things like shoes, where my understanding that fit is really important. Was hoping to find a store where someone could walk me through the different types of clipless pedals, for example, and make objective recommendations.

Online will likely be a better choice for me, after I have a clue.
2006-08-23 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
I would recommend Bonzai then, I went there and didn't have a clue at all about anything, and I thought they were really helpful, I bought my bike, peddles, and shoes there. There is also a bike store in Fairfax called The Bike Lane that I went to for advice.
2006-08-23 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Check out Bonzai in Falls Church http://tribonzai.com/. Good place for tri gear, including bikes. Their prices for tri clothing is comparable to the online stores. They also rent wetsuits and you can pick them up and save on the shipping costs.

If you are looking for bike stuff only, you might also check out Capitol Hill Bikes http://capitolhillbikes.com/index.cfm in DC. It is a bit further of a drive for you, but they are super helpful and no pressure. They also offer an awesome 25% discount on bikes and accessories if you are a member of the DC Tri club. It is worth joining the club if only for the discount if you are in the market for a bike.

I have found that Performance is a good place to shop only if you know exactly what it is you need. They are no help otherwise. They have great sales every other month and their sports/recovery drink mix and gel prices cannot be beat during these sales.

Good luck,

Bill

2006-08-28 9:26 AM

User image

I am new as well - looking to do my first tri next summer.

I've heard good things about Spokes, Etc. in Vienna (http://www.spokesetc.com) but have never been inside. I'm going to scope it out during the off-season when purchasing my first bike.

I bought my shoes at Washington Bike in Fairfax (http://www.washingtonbike.com). They were nice but didn't seem very knowledgeable - I was brand freaking new to indoor spinning and I asked if I needed cleats for the shoes to hook into the spinning bike. They said no and were wrong so I had to go to another store and pick them up.

The other store I went to was Performance Bike in Reston (http://www.performancebike.com). Their sales staff was good and sounded like they knew their stuff. I saw one guy training a customer on how to use a road bike in the shop so they seem newbie-friendly.

FYI I think you're correct to stay away from online purchases. I'm planning on leaning on my local bike shop for information and assistance quite often.

Hope this is helpful.

Peter

2006-09-01 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Reston

if you are in sterling i'd go to Tri-nergy.  In fact, i'd go there anyway.  all i've gotten is arrogance when i've gone to other places.  i won't mention names.

2006-09-01 10:30 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
thanks for the recs... tri-nergy is right on my way down Sterling Blvd. to the W&OD, perhaps sometime I'll stop in there before or after a ride.

Edited by timInVirginia 2006-09-01 10:31 AM
2006-09-01 11:09 AM

User image

Ashburn, VA
Hey Tim,

I am new like you. I am just starting Tri this year (I come from a Running background).

I went to Tri-Nergy yesterday evening and the owner (Steve) is just awsome.
I spoke with him for about an hour and he gave me planty of good tips. We also had some good laughs.
He knows his stuff inside and out. We talked a lot about bike.

I plan to go back to get my road bike fitted properly.

Fab

BTW, I live in Ashburn. Maybe we can get together as you live very close.
I train in Herndon Community Center during Week days (lunch time) and I bike every sunday morning on the W/OD Trail.

Fabrice
2007-05-21 8:57 PM
in reply to: #524034

pvanbuskirk - 2006-08-28 10:26 AM

I've heard good things about Spokes, Etc. in Vienna (http://www.spokesetc.com) but have never been inside. I'm going to scope it out during the off-season when purchasing my first bike.

I just got my bike from Spokes, Etc in Vienna- they were very nice and very helpful. Not snobby at all (like Revolution Cycles in Clarendon) and the guys really seem to just love cycling. The guy who was helping me was very excited for me I'd recommend them; though I'm no expert.
2007-05-22 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
I second the recommendation for Spokes Etc. in Vienna for bike gear. Both my husband and I got our road bikes there, and they were extremely helpful with not a hint of arrogance. They listen to you in terms of what you need and how much you are willing to pay. They also fit you into your bike and you get free tune-ups for a year after the purchase of your bike from them. They have free seminars, which are helpful. I attended the roadside bike maintenance class a couple weeks ago and got a lot out of it. I am attending a beginners triathlon seminar next Thursday also.

My husband and I plan to check out Tri-nergy after work tomorrow to look at wetsuits, tri suits, etc. to finish getting geared-up for our first tri in a few weeks (Yorktown sprint), so it is good to know the owner was helpful. I did not know know about Bonzai so maybe we will check them out, too. But, if there is attitude, maybe I will stick with Tri-nergy . . .

2007-05-22 4:51 PM

Yeah, the guy spent quite some time fitting my bike to me. And he didn't pressure me to buy anything ridiculous expensive, but made it clear that you get what you pay for and depending on your level of commitment, that could change what you want to buy. But no pressure whatsoever- I was intending to go with the bike I ended up getting, and I'm really glad I did. She's a sweet ride.
2007-05-24 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA

I went to Spokes looking for a tri bike, but the guy tried to talk me out of wanting one.  His reasoning was they "handle poorly", and "Why buy an expensive tri bike when you only end up using it on race day?"  So I left and went to Revolutions in Stafford, and spent an hour test driving four tri bikes.  Found what I wanted and laid down some plastic.  Rev is a lot closer for me anyway.  Free fitting after a week of riding.  I guess it depends on the salesman, but I will stick to Revolution and my local shops in Fredericksburg.

-David

2007-08-14 1:18 PM

User image

New user

Sorry for the very late reply to this email thread. There is a new Triathlon and Swim shop that opened in Gainesville, Virginia called Riptide Swim and Tri (http://www.riptideswimandtri.com). They carry all of the latest products by Zoot, 2XU, Orca, Speedo, Louis Garneau, TYR, Hammer Nutrition, Clif, Nuun, Profile Design, and many more! They are a customer oriented store and enjoy meeting new triathletes as well as helping them reach their goals!! Highly recommended!
2007-08-15 8:02 AM

Regular
Vienna,VA
I would second or third the recommendation on Spokes in Vienna, bought my bike there in the spring and they were very helpful. They did push me in direction of road bike as opposed to Tri bike, reason being this was before I really knew if the Triathlon thing would stick.
2007-08-15 1:08 PM

New user

Bonzai Sports is definitely the place to go. Very knowledgable. They also have an online store if you can't make it to Falls Church.

2007-08-16 10:38 AM
in reply to: #925508

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

>Sorry for the very late reply to this email thread. There is a new Triathlon and Swim shop >that opened in Gainesville, Virginia called Riptide Swim and Tri (http://www.riptideswimandtri.com). They carry all of the latest products by Zoot, 2XU, >Orca, Speedo, Louis Garneau, TYR, Hammer Nutrition, Clif, Nuun, Profile Design, and >many more! They are a customer oriented store and enjoy meeting new triathletes as >well as helping them reach their goals!! Highly recommended

Well, yes it would be highly recommended by the owner, but I think the original poster was looking for recommendations from actual shoppers

2007-08-16 5:45 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Well, I am going to throw this out there just to give you something to think about.

There are a number of GOOD bike stores around me in MA. The Cycle Loft, Belmont Wheelworks, Farinas. Between the 3 of them, they have the capability of putting you on any bike you want (by a major manufacturer), and fitting you to the bike. These are good stores with knowledgeable sales people, well intentioned folks. And for most bike buyers that is fine. It was fine for me when I bought my first road bike. Now I am looking at tri bikes, and I have found a shop that is probably better suited for buying a tri bike. My feeling is this - getting properly fitted on a tri bike is more than getting the right sized top tube and seat tube. In order to give you an opportunity to maximize YOUR body, there are other things to consider. What this adds up to, is at the end of the day, you might have chosen a Trek tri-bike, a Giant Tri-bike, or a Cervelo Tri-bike, but neither one of those actually fits your individual dimensions and bio-mechanics. You might be better suited on a Blue frame, or a Colnago frame.

I found a bike shop near me, ATA Cycles in Concord, MA that sits you on an Argon 18 fitting bike, monitors you with 3 cameras, all tied into a computer with a PowerTap. They make adjustments to the frame AS YOU ARE RIDING IT, and monitoring your comfort level via your feedback, and your power output via computer. They can WATCH as they make adjustments and see the effect it has on your power output.

I am by NO MEANS a professional triathlete. Truth be told, I will NEVER compete in my age group unless there are 2 other competitors. I do, however, feel that fit on a tri bike is paramount, and that selecting a frame based on my body dimensions is more important than anything else, so I signed up for a fitting. I will let you know how it goes.

I won't tell you what my budget is for my new bike, but I will say that you don't need to spend $5k to get this type of treatment. I only mention this so you know that there is are services out there that allow you to choose your frame by your body dimensions, and not by what you THINK you should buy and what you THINK you can afford.

Just a different way to skin a cat.
2007-08-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: #925508

User image

Expert
Northern VA

rhrichardson - 2007-08-14 2:18 PM Sorry for the very late reply to this email thread. There is a new Triathlon and Swim shop that opened in Gainesville, Virginia called Riptide Swim and Tri (http://www.riptideswimandtri.com). They carry all of the latest products by Zoot, 2XU, Orca, Speedo, Louis Garneau, TYR, Hammer Nutrition, Clif, Nuun, Profile Design, and many more! They are a customer oriented store and enjoy meeting new triathletes as well as helping them reach their goals!! Highly recommended!

FYI - I visited this shop a few weekends ago. They carry a bunch of tri apparel and wetsuits. They also had a bunch of swim gear. Rob & Shandra, the owners, could not have been nicer. I got to talk with Rob for a while and if anyone is interested in trail running or ultras, he would be a great person to talk to.

This is just my unsolicited feedback. I would like to see this shop do well!

2007-08-30 8:13 PM
in reply to: #946324

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I know Shandra pretty well.  She's the race director for the Virginia Run sprint and the Montclair Oly.  Also, she's won Reston a number of times and has Kona qualified in the past.  She was my nephew's swim coach.  She also coaches triathletes.  Her and her husband are both friendly and excellent sources of information.  If you're looking for a coach, I think they both coach besides run the store.  I could recommend them more highly.

Ernie

2007-08-31 7:57 PM

User image

Sterling
I also live in Sterling and am looking to do my first tri in 2 weeks (in Va Beach). I was planning on heading over to Bonzai, not having heard of Tri-nergy before now. But seeing how close they are, it sounds like I should check them out. Do you know if they rent wet suits like Bonzai? I am not ready to take the plunge (pun intended!) to buy one yet.

2007-08-31 8:52 PM
in reply to: #949294

User image

New user

Thanks for your wetsuit rental question! My wife and I are owners of Riptide Swim and Tri and I'm happy to say that we do have wetsuit rentals. Most of our wetsuit rentals are made by Zoot Sports although we do have a few by 2XU. We also have a large section of wetsuits for purchase by Zoot, 2XU and Orca.

Our wetsuit rental fees are $35/week and we will apply the wetsuit rental fee towards the purchase of a wetsuit after your rental period.

2007-08-31 9:08 PM
in reply to: #949294

User image

New user

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the duplicate email but I just read your email a little closer. My wife and I are friends with Steve, the owner of Tri-Nergy. When we last spoke with him, our understanding was that he was shutting down his store and looking for somebody to possibly take it over. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they're no longer open. I'd like to suggest that you give them a call 1st before making the trip.

Thanks. If you're willing to make the trip to our store in Gainesville, I promise to ensure that you are properly fit for your 1st triathlon at VA Beach. If necessary, my wife and I have an Endless Pool installed at our home (1-mile from the store). If you're still unsure about your wetsuit fit after trying it on in the store, you are more than welcome to take a dip in our pool to try it out. :-)

Thanks Michelle. Best of luck in your upcoming race!

Warm Regards,
Rob
2007-08-31 9:48 PM
in reply to: #949365

rhrichardson - 2007-08-31 10:08 PM

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the duplicate email but I just read your email a little closer. My wife and I are friends with Steve, the owner of Tri-Nergy. When we last spoke with him, our understanding was that he was shutting down his store and looking for somebody to possibly take it over. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they're no longer open. I'd like to suggest that you give them a call 1st before making the trip.

Thanks. If you're willing to make the trip to our store in Gainesville, I promise to ensure that you are properly fit for your 1st triathlon at VA Beach. If necessary, my wife and I have an Endless Pool installed at our home (1-mile from the store). If you're still unsure about your wetsuit fit after trying it on in the store, you are more than welcome to take a dip in our pool to try it out. :-)

Thanks Michelle. Best of luck in your upcoming race!

Warm Regards,
Rob

To vouch for the possible validity of the statement about Tri-nergy - I visited Tri-nergy for the first time in late June/early July or so and there was a sign on the door that said the place was for sale - so it may very well not be open any more.
2007-08-31 9:49 PM

User image

Sterling
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the personalized response. I started another thread elsewhere asking what to expect, and some people are encouraging a trisuit over a wetsuit. So now I am really confused about what is going to be best for me!

Since I am in Sterling, near 28, Gainesville isn't too terribly far, and probably actually easier to get to than Falls Church. Maybe I will come check your store out. It would be nice to know I already have some connection there through you.

Thanks!
Michelle
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » northern virginia tri store recommendations? Rss Feed  

of 2