BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-02-23 1:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmkizer

TJ,

Regarding the training plans, I like Hal's weekdays with different distances (different purposes?) and RW's weekends.  Are all of the runs on both plans steady state or do some have a speedwork component?

I like that the RW has some faster work in it. Strides a few days a week would be good. Consider putting that into the Higdon. The TT as well. Unsure of which is better for TJ, adding in another smaller run or adding the faster part into an existing run.

The RW long run takes everything that was previously not liked about the LR and makes it worse. The LR goes from 40-50% of the weekly mileage up to 50-60%. Tthe extra mileage of RW comes from the longer LR's. It was also worse about bridging the gap between the other runs and the long run. Higdon goes from 50% longer than that weekday up to 2x as long by the end. RW varies from 3x-4x throughout the whole plan.

What are you trying to accomplish by changing plans?

Could Coach Michi make you a custom plan?

2015-02-23 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

TJ,

Regarding the training plans, I like Hal's weekdays with different distances (different purposes?) and RW's weekends.  Are all of the runs on both plans steady state or do some have a speedwork component?

I like that the RW has some faster work in it. Strides a few days a week would be good. Consider putting that into the Higdon. The TT as well. Unsure of which is better for TJ, adding in another smaller run or adding the faster part into an existing run.

The RW long run takes everything that was previously not liked about the LR and makes it worse. The LR goes from 40-50% of the weekly mileage up to 50-60%. Tthe extra mileage of RW comes from the longer LR's. It was also worse about bridging the gap between the other runs and the long run. Higdon goes from 50% longer than that weekday up to 2x as long by the end. RW varies from 3x-4x throughout the whole plan.

Well, if I were to adapt any part of either plan, it would NOT be to take the RW long run approach.  Others have said the same, but had to chime in, too - that's a bad idea, IMO and IME.

One thing you could consider would be looking at the more advanced Higdon plans to get a feel for how he changes the weekday runs.  IIRC, he adds some intensity on Tuesday and a tempo on Thursday (but those days could be off, as I might have shifted them one to match my s/b/r rotation - it's close to that, anyway).  Not saying to adopt those workouts as written, mind you, but just as a guide if you want to add either aspect into your training while sticking with one author.

I would not go any longer than Higdon's % of the long run to total, though (again, my tuppence).

Salty - AWESOME race (and hockey game - I coached my cousin's girl's team when she was a little tot - she stayed with it long into adulthood... was a blast!).  Congrats on the win, the win, and the almost win (as you said, next time - gotta have something to go back for!).

Sean, I'm 45-49.  I seem to have trouble remembering my ACTUAL age (46, if my maths are right), but my tri age is in that range. 

Matt

2015-02-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Honestly TJ, I wouldn't do either of those plans. I would use Jack Daniel as guidance and I would try and run with as much frequency as possible during the week, trying to get a medium long run in as well as other easy runs and then let that dictate a safe % for a long run. 

I would slowly build up the volume and take a drop back every 3 or 4 weeks.

I would run a half marathon a little over a month out to see where my VDOT got me so I had a reasonable idea for a "goal" pace.

I would taper 2-3 weeks from marathon.

2015-02-23 1:50 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black Huge congrats Adrienne! That's awesome! Even though you didn't officially beat all the dudes, you know you really did!

x2.  Salty, you're such a badazz, you can rock any sport you put your mind to.  1st OA even with some extra distance thrown in.  Dag!!!

Glad you enjoyed both and had such a fun weekend!!

2015-02-23 1:52 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Sean, I'm 45-49.  I seem to have trouble remembering my ACTUAL age (46, if my maths are right), but my tri age is in that range. 

Matt

Roger that, lol. I'm 33, but still not in very good tri shape. I know I have no chance to compete in my age group at this point, and I really don't even have a good feel for what my target time/splits should be other than the swim (~30min). What do you think you'll be targeting for the splits?
2015-02-23 1:55 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Honestly TJ, I wouldn't do either of those plans. I would use Jack Daniel as guidance and I would try and run with as much frequency as possible during the week, trying to get a medium long run in as well as other easy runs and then let that dictate a safe % for a long run. 

I would slowly build up the volume and take a drop back every 3 or 4 weeks.

I would run a half marathon a little over a month out to see where my VDOT got me so I had a reasonable idea for a "goal" pace.

I would taper 2-3 weeks from marathon.

This is all pretty good advice.

2015-02-23 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Awesome pics!!  That looks like a fantastic route.

MattMS - that feeling is why (many of us) do this!  Psyched for you and your race.

Yanti, as ever, heal quickly please.  mkay?!?

Matt

Couldn't reply on the old thread but so glad you are doing Galveston! You'll love it. I'll message you my cell when it get's close and we can meet up. A group of us usually swim on Friday's in the bay at the Pink Flamingo and then ride 15-20 miles or so of the course
2015-02-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by JJ-

MattMS - that feeling is why (many of us) do this!  Psyched for you and your race.

Matt

Couldn't reply on the old thread but so glad you are doing Galveston! You'll love it. I'll message you my cell when it get's close and we can meet up. A group of us usually swim on Friday's in the bay at the Pink Flamingo and then ride 15-20 miles or so of the course

So that's 3 manatee's doing the Galveston 70.3!?! It's going to be a regular pod party!
2015-02-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

So that's 3 manatee's doing the Galveston 70.3!?! It's going to be a regular pod party!

Who's the 3rd? I haven't been on lately so probably missed this...

Edit: Nevermind just looked at your race log!! Sweet! This will be a party.

Galveston is my favorite race and my 3rd year of doing it. I have at least 15 of my friends and club coming down from Tyler so we will have a great weekend. We need to make sure and connect down there. I'll send y'all my contact info

Edited by JJ- 2015-02-23 2:11 PM
2015-02-23 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

Who's the 3rd? I haven't been on lately so probably missed this... Edit: Nevermind just looked at your race log!! Sweet! This will be a party. Galveston is my favorite race and my 3rd year of doing it. I have at least 15 of my friends and club coming down from Tyler so we will have a great weekend. We need to make sure and connect down there. I'll send y'all my contact info

Just registered.  BOOM!

Been a while, but I'm psyched to race again.  Would you recommend coming down on Friday or just Saturday?  I was also thinking of bringing the family (The Better Half and three kids) to check out Galveston, having never really spent any time there.  Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on hotels!

I'll shoot my contact info back to both of you as well.

A Manatee Meet Up!  Suh-weet!

Matt

2015-02-23 3:45 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
When I registered a month or more ago, almost all of the host hotels were booked. I was trying to stay on-site because I have two very young kids that will love Moody Gardens. I think we're just going to stay the weekend down at my grandmother's beach house (near the far end of the bike ride).

The Galvez is a host hotel and is very nice, they still had rooms when I checked a while back, but it's a 5-10 min bus trip to Moody from there. You could always just rent a beach house for the weekend for the fam. There should be some pretty good deals because April is still a little early for beach vacations.

2015-02-23 3:48 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black When I registered a month or more ago, almost all of the host hotels were booked. I was trying to stay on-site because I have two very young kids that will love Moody Gardens. I think we're just going to stay the weekend down at my grandmother's beach house (near the far end of the bike ride). The Galvez is a host hotel and is very nice, they still had rooms when I checked a while back, but it's a 5-10 min bus trip to Moody from there. You could always just rent a beach house for the weekend for the fam. There should be some pretty good deals because April is still a little early for beach vacations.

Please stop.  It's snowy and cold here and the thought of a beach vacation is just more than I can bear!!

2015-02-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Jet Black When I registered a month or more ago, almost all of the host hotels were booked. I was trying to stay on-site because I have two very young kids that will love Moody Gardens. I think we're just going to stay the weekend down at my grandmother's beach house (near the far end of the bike ride). The Galvez is a host hotel and is very nice, they still had rooms when I checked a while back, but it's a 5-10 min bus trip to Moody from there. You could always just rent a beach house for the weekend for the fam. There should be some pretty good deals because April is still a little early for beach vacations.

Please stop.  It's snowy and cold here and the thought of a beach vacation is just more than I can bear!!

I've seen pictures from Boulder and from Montrose. You guys are getting nailed!

2015-02-23 3:59 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

It actually made it down into the 30's here today!! Brrr!!!
2015-02-23 4:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

Went up about 20 degrees to reach 8.

2015-02-23 4:11 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

I've seen pictures from Boulder and from Montrose. You guys are getting nailed!

Yup.  Denver International Airport got 10.5" of snow over the past couple days.  We're only 0.2" away from making it into the books as one of the top 5 snowiest Februarys on record and there's another storm due on Wednesday night.

2015-02-23 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by JJ-

Matt

Who's the 3rd? I haven't been on lately so probably missed this... Edit: Nevermind just looked at your race log!! Sweet! This will be a party. Galveston is my favorite race and my 3rd year of doing it. I have at least 15 of my friends and club coming down from Tyler so we will have a great weekend. We need to make sure and connect down there. I'll send y'all my contact info

Just registered.  BOOM!

Been a while, but I'm psyched to race again.  Would you recommend coming down on Friday or just Saturday?  I was also thinking of bringing the family (The Better Half and three kids) to check out Galveston, having never really spent any time there.  Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on hotels!

I'll shoot my contact info back to both of you as well.

A Manatee Meet Up!  Suh-weet!

Matt

I would come down on Friday. I'm bringing my wife and 3 kids. It's a family race for us. Both of my boys will do the Ironkids race on Saturday morning. It's a 1 mile run on the same course we run on. We play on the beach and treat it as a vacation. It's a very spectator friendly course. They can setup by the Water and see you swim, leave for the bike, return, and then 3 loops on the run. There is a playground my kids play at.

We have a Travel Trailer so we stay at an RV park.
2015-02-23 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Galveston Hotels

One year my wife and I rented a condo on the seawall. That's probably your best bet. We are staying at Dellanera RV Park. I like that part of the island. I would recommend somewhere near that area. The other side is pretty busy.

I'll share race strategies with both of you as we get closer but a couple of brief tips

The bike is flat and windy and fast. It's an early season race and so most people go way too hard on the bike and walk the run. I see more people walking in Galveston than any other race because the bike is so deceiving.
2015-02-23 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I check the weather in Great Lakes every day to see what DS2 is dealing with.

2015-02-23 5:17 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

It's chilly (low 20's) but not it's not as cold as it is Ben's area or other parts of the country.  Honestly, this weather mostly just makes me grateful that I have warm clothes, a warm house, a warm place to work (even if I do have to use my illegal space heater year-round), and a working car with heat.  Without those things, this weather can kill--and does.

2015-02-23 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

It's chilly (low 20's) but not it's not as cold as it is Ben's area or other parts of the country.  Honestly, this weather mostly just makes me grateful that I have warm clothes, a warm house, a warm place to work (even if I do have to use my illegal space heater year-round), and a working car with heat.  Without those things, this weather can kill--and does.

So cold here I had to swim INSIDE tonight, and my kids' practice was cut short (their pool is outdoor all year).  I totally feel ya'.  

I hope it warms up soon.  I remember how TOTALLY stir crazy I got last winter, so you must all be going a little nutty.

Spring will spring soon... soon...

Matt

2015-02-23 8:58 PM

User image

It was 43 here today - in my classroom! I wanted a space heater sooo bad but there is no room to put it.

It did warm up to 48 by the end of the day.
2015-02-23 10:47 PM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Seriously? IN your classroom? That's a tough learning/teaching environment... Really, I hope this is the last vortex or clipper or whatever for all you folks from Dallas to points north. You deserve a respite after the last TWO grinding, relentless winters! (aaaaand... just like that, I sound like my late grandfather! Could be worse).
2015-02-24 9:02 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo It was 43 here today - in my classroom! I wanted a space heater sooo bad but there is no room to put it. It did warm up to 48 by the end of the day.

And I thought my office was bad!  It's often in the upper 50s when I get into work.  I do have a space heater though!

2015-02-24 9:45 AM

User image

Denver, CO

So cold here I had to swim INSIDE tonight, and my kids' practice was cut short (their pool is outdoor all year).  I totally feel ya'.  

I hope it warms up soon.  I remember how TOTALLY stir crazy I got last winter, so you must all be going a little more nutty.

Spring will spring soon... soon...

Matt

Fixed that for you.  You ARE talking about Manatees after all. 

Re: indoor workouts, I have to admit that I'm going more stir crazy not being able to do anything than I am from being cooped up inside.  I'm just happy to be able to get to go to the pool and the indoor track this week, although the concrete stairwell--painted grey, no less--does get a little monotonous.  I sometimes think about asking the art department if they have any kids willing to decorate it for us!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15399 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28035 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11841 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66305 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54676 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.