BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-02-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Jet Black When I registered a month or more ago, almost all of the host hotels were booked. I was trying to stay on-site because I have two very young kids that will love Moody Gardens. I think we're just going to stay the weekend down at my grandmother's beach house (near the far end of the bike ride). The Galvez is a host hotel and is very nice, they still had rooms when I checked a while back, but it's a 5-10 min bus trip to Moody from there. You could always just rent a beach house for the weekend for the fam. There should be some pretty good deals because April is still a little early for beach vacations.

Please stop.  It's snowy and cold here and the thought of a beach vacation is just more than I can bear!!

It actually made it down into the 30's here today!! Brrr!!!

Went up about 20 degrees to reach 8.

I check the weather in Great Lakes every day to see what DS2 is dealing with.

It's chilly (low 20's) but not it's not as cold as it is Ben's area or other parts of the country.  Honestly, this weather mostly just makes me grateful that I have warm clothes, a warm house, a warm place to work (even if I do have to use my illegal space heater year-round), and a working car with heat.  Without those things, this weather can kill--and does.

So cold here I had to swim INSIDE tonight, and my kids' practice was cut short (their pool is outdoor all year).  I totally feel ya'.  

I hope it warms up soon.  I remember how TOTALLY stir crazy I got last winter, so you must all be going a little more nutty.

Spring will spring soon... soon...

Matt

Fixed that for you.  You ARE talking about Manatees after all. 

Re: indoor workouts, I have to admit that I'm going more stir crazy not being able to do anything than I am from being cooped up inside.  I'm just happy to be able to get to go to the pool and the indoor track this week, although the concrete stairwell--painted grey, no less--does get a little monotonous.  I sometimes think about asking the art department if they have any kids willing to decorate it for us!

I brought indoor and outdoor running clothes today. Wasn't sure what this bi-polar NM weather would allow

2015-02-24 9:53 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Heard this article on the radio about a woman who attempted to do 7 races (Mary or HM) in 7 days on 7 continents, having only previously done 6 HMs in her entire life.  She managed 6 HMs and a full in 11 days.  Pretty amazing.  She even decided to do the full at the last minute, as a kind of "what the heck."  The best part is her description of having penguins line the course on Antarctica.

I've been reading Kathrine Switzer's book, Marathon Woman, courtesy of TJ.  I keep catching myself thinking, "I could do that.  I could run a marathon."  Thanks, TJ.  If I end up doing one, I totally blame you!!  Not going to happen this year, but maybe someday...

2015-02-24 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Heard this article on the radio about a woman who attempted to do 7 races (Mary or HM) in 7 days on 7 continents, having only previously done 6 HMs in her entire life.  She managed 6 HMs and a full in 11 days.  Pretty amazing.  She even decided to do the full at the last minute, as a kind of "what the heck."  The best part is her description of having penguins line the course on Antarctica.

I've been reading Kathrine Switzer's book, Marathon Woman, courtesy of TJ.  I keep catching myself thinking, "I could do that.  I could run a marathon."  Thanks, TJ.  If I end up doing one, I totally blame you!!  Not going to happen this year, but maybe someday...

Dang! And I complained about driving from Denver to ABQ affter 13 miles!

As for the marathon... if/when you decide to do it I'll be by your side 'cause that's what friends do

Well we got the form letter from DS2 yesterday. He graduates April 10, just as we suspected. Which means my 20 mile run is scheduled for the weekend that I'm in Great Lakes!!!! May have to re-arrange things. Don't want that weekend to be about my LSR. Although running the lakefront would be awesome, if not very very cold.

2015-02-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Ummmm...3 pages into new?  I'm trying to regroup.

In-laws left this morning. They were planning on heading home early Sunday, but FIL said no to the weather through NM, TX, OK. Luckily we have a good working relationship

2015-02-24 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Jet Black When I registered a month or more ago, almost all of the host hotels were booked. I was trying to stay on-site because I have two very young kids that will love Moody Gardens. I think we're just going to stay the weekend down at my grandmother's beach house (near the far end of the bike ride). The Galvez is a host hotel and is very nice, they still had rooms when I checked a while back, but it's a 5-10 min bus trip to Moody from there. You could always just rent a beach house for the weekend for the fam. There should be some pretty good deals because April is still a little early for beach vacations.

Please stop.  It's snowy and cold here and the thought of a beach vacation is just more than I can bear!!

It's chilly (low 20's) but not it's not as cold as it is Ben's area or other parts of the country.  Honestly, this weather mostly just makes me grateful that I have warm clothes, a warm house, a warm place to work (even if I do have to use my illegal space heater year-round), and a working car with heat.  Without those things, this weather can kill--and does.

So cold here I had to swim INSIDE tonight, and my kids' practice was cut short (their pool is outdoor all year).  I totally feel ya'.  

I hope it warms up soon.  I remember how TOTALLY stir crazy I got last winter, so you must all be going a little more nutty.

Spring will spring soon... soon...

Matt

Fixed that for you.  You ARE talking about Manatees after all. 

Re: indoor workouts, I have to admit that I'm going more stir crazy not being able to do anything than I am from being cooped up inside.  I'm just happy to be able to get to go to the pool and the indoor track this week, although the concrete stairwell--painted grey, no less--does get a little monotonous.  I sometimes think about asking the art department if they have any kids willing to decorate it for us!

I brought indoor and outdoor running clothes today. Wasn't sure what this bi-polar NM weather would allow

I'm gonna have to figure out what to do about tomorrow's run.  I'd really rather not do 10 miles on the TM.  It's still snowing so I'm not sure that an outdoor run (lunchtime) is in the cards :-/  

2015-02-24 11:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

As for the marathon... if/when you decide to do it I'll be by your side 'cause that's what friends do

Well we got the form letter from DS2 yesterday. He graduates April 10, just as we suspected. Which means my 20 mile run is scheduled for the weekend that I'm in Great Lakes!!!! May have to re-arrange things. Don't want that weekend to be about my LSR. Although running the lakefront would be awesome, if not very very cold.

Should be shorts weather. Might still be long sleeves. Not really helping. At all ...

2015-02-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I seem to recall that there was a place to donate medals that you don't want?  It seems that I was sent the wrong medal from RnR and they didn't want it back (they did send me the right one afterward) so I have this perfectly good Triple Crown medal sitting in the envelope that it came it.  Does Special Olympics take them (or is my memory failing me)?

2015-02-24 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

I seem to recall that there was a place to donate medals that you don't want?  It seems that I was sent the wrong medal from RnR and they didn't want it back (they did send me the right one afterward) so I have this perfectly good Triple Crown medal sitting in the envelope that it came it.  Does Special Olympics take them (or is my memory failing me)?

I know there have been threads here on BT about it but I can't find them. I'm sure there are lots of organizations that take them but this one is the one that comes to mind for me.

2015-02-24 12:14 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Don't know for sure about Special Olympics, but this is the one I've heard about.

2015-02-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Should be shorts weather. Might still be long sleeves. Not really helping. At all ...

Guess I'll pack as usual, where my running clothes take more space in the bag than my regular clothes.

2015-02-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Don't know for sure about Special Olympics, but this is the one I've heard about.

JINX!

2015-02-24 12:25 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by melbo55

JINX!

It's the whole twin-separated-at-birth thing...

2015-02-24 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm gonna have to figure out what to do about tomorrow's run.  I'd really rather not do 10 miles on the TM.  It's still snowing so I'm not sure that an outdoor run (lunchtime) is in the cards :-/  

Workout juggling time!

2015-02-24 1:01 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Workout juggling time!

I would have to take a really long lunch to do 10 miles

2015-02-24 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Workout juggling time!

I would have to take a really long lunch to do 10 miles

I just stay at work later.  If I do that once a week or so, everyone is at work good with it.  

2015-02-24 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Workout juggling time!

It's going to be tough because the amount of snow has varied widely over a short distance.  I work less than 10 miles from home and they had 2-3 inches there when I left (I did a lunchtime change of venue and I am working from home this afternoon) but we have under and inch at home -- can still see grass poking through and the streets are wet whereas at work they had packed snow and were slick.  Will the greenways be usable by noon tomorrow if it's in the 40s?  hmm.  

2015-02-24 1:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Workout juggling time!

Wow, juggling on a treadmill would be a real challenge, no matter the distance!!

2015-02-24 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Workout juggling time!

Wow, juggling on a treadmill would be a real challenge, no matter the distance!!

Especially for a klutz like me!

2015-02-24 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Workout juggling time!

*golf clap*

2015-02-24 4:28 PM

User image

Seattle

So there I was, in the shady part of town with my sleeves rolled up and a socket wrench in my hand, taking parts off of my car....

Good intro, eh?

The title is officially out of my hands now. Onward! It sure is hard car shopping when you don't have a car though. 

2015-02-24 4:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

So there I was, in the shady part of town with my sleeves rolled up and a socket wrench in my hand, taking parts off of my car....

Good intro, eh?

The title is officially out of my hands now. Onward! It sure is hard car shopping when you don't have a car though. 

Love that intro.  I can just see you, all butch and stuff--dirty hands, torn jeans, a flannel shirt hanging out, Doc Martens. Definitely not somebody to mess with!!

The interwebs can help a lot with car buying if you have some idea what you want.  That's how DH found our current car.  He located 4 or so that fit our criteria, we drove all over creation (well, all over the N. Denver/Boulder area) in one day to test drive them, and we picked the one we wanted.  It did help that we bought from a dealer. If you can swing it, a membership with Consumer Reports is a good investment for deciding on what you want; if that's out of your price range, talk with lots of friends and find out what cars they like and hate and why.

Another possibility is a car buying service.  Our credit union offers a service where you can tell them what you want and your price range and they'll bring vehicles that fit the specs to your workplace or home for you to test drive. Then they help with the financing and usually have pretty competitive rates.  It's pretty cool and I'm not even sure that there's a cost for it. You have to have an account with them, though.

2015-02-24 5:39 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I ran outside this am and the temp was MINUS 7! BUT there was no wind so it was tolerable. Although my eyelashes did freeze HEH

HI GANG! Hope all is well. Drive by post - still at work (nothing new there).

recap
NEW THREAD! YAY

Salty happy car shopping. It's really one of my favorite things to do - I've brought car salesmen to their knees! Let me know if you need some pointers! I will say this - knowing the value of what you are looking at before you walk in the door is key.

Saw a Texas manatee meetup forming - rock on.

and some people were whining about 40 degree temps! LOL J/K

ok party on Wayne.......SAY IT........
2015-02-24 5:57 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I ran outside this am and the temp was MINUS 7! BUT there was no wind so it was tolerable. Although my eyelashes did freeze HEH HI GANG! Hope all is well. Drive by post - still at work (nothing new there). recap NEW THREAD! YAY Salty happy car shopping. It's really one of my favorite things to do - I've brought car salesmen to their knees! Let me know if you need some pointers! I will say this - knowing the value of what you are looking at before you walk in the door is key. Saw a Texas manatee meetup forming - rock on. and some people were whining about 40 degree temps! LOL J/K ok party on Wayne.......SAY IT........

So you're saying that's the car key?

(To strains of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and/or "Dream Weaver")  Hey, Salty, there's a car idea for you!  A powder blue Pacer with flames on it!

2015-02-24 7:07 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I ran outside this am and the temp was MINUS 7! BUT there was no wind so it was tolerable. Although my eyelashes did freeze HEH HI GANG! Hope all is well. Drive by post - still at work (nothing new there). recap NEW THREAD! YAY Salty happy car shopping. It's really one of my favorite things to do - I've brought car salesmen to their knees! Let me know if you need some pointers! I will say this - knowing the value of what you are looking at before you walk in the door is key. Saw a Texas manatee meetup forming - rock on. and some people were whining about 40 degree temps! LOL J/K ok party on Wayne.......SAY IT........

So you're saying that's the car key?

(To strains of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and/or "Dream Weaver")  Hey, Salty, there's a car idea for you!  A powder blue Pacer with flames on it!

"key" or "clutch"
your choice
2015-02-24 9:22 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Only took me 3 pages and 2 days to figure it out this time!  Jeebus.  This is my really busy time of semester (in an out-of-the-ordinary busy year).  I can't keep up with y'all.  I read all posts, just don't find the time to respond to all in the moment...

Nice pics and race, Pops, way to go Salty on the race and fundraising, MattMS good luck on your bike race!, Yanti continue to get better (how are the fur babies?), Sean I hope you get your flat issue sorted, I was having a similar issue early last year, but my problem was old tires.  TJ I am a firm believer in frequency trumping distance; I ran my PR HM on nothing longer than 16km I think, just lots and lots of running.

So, at the risk of being kicked out of the pod, today I ran at lunch, in the sun and 10C (50 for you 'Mericans).

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15460 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28120 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11881 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66387 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54807 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.