General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pre race workout? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-15 7:58 AM

Subject: pre race workout?
What are your thoughts on a workout the day before a race? I have a sprint this weekend, and am contemplating a short swim and a quick mile or two two days before the race, mostly because I have pent-up energy from working five days straight and not having a workout. Good, bad, or won't matter?

2015-04-15 8:07 AM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: pre race workout?
Normally I take the day two days before the race off (because I'm often traveling, usually to Singapore, with bike itntow, and that's exercise enough), but if I wasn't traveling, and hadn't done anything for five days, I'd probably do a short, easy jog and easy swim. The day before the race, I like to do a little bit in all three sports, maybe 15 minutes total with a few 30-second pickups to race pace, just to loosen out and make sure all systems are go. Sometimes I swim more, to get used to the conditions and because it's calming for me and helps with sleep and pre-race nerves. The day before my first HIM, I somehow ended up swimming the whole course in pretty close to the time I did in the race. Not sure why, but I had a great re-do of the swim the next day and the race went fine!
2015-04-15 8:38 AM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

Miami
I always do, if possible, a little bit of all 3 sports the day before the race.

Easy 15 min swim, preferably in the swim course. I check landmarks that I can use for sighting, sun, turns, etc. Easy 15-20 min bike ride, with a few bursts at race pace, to make sure everything is ready to go and leave the bike in the gear I want to use getting out of T1. Easy 15 min run with a couple of 30 seconds strides.

I try to be done with noon or little after noon and rest the rest of the day.
2015-04-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have tried a lot of different things in the days leading up to a race and find that what works best for me is to stay active but with reduced volume.  If I need complete rest which sounds like you do not then I'd take it earlier in the week and then  focus on staying limber and loose.  You are not going to gain any speed or fitness that close to the race.  Some of my worst experiences have come after a few days of complete rest.  Seems to take me a day or two to loosen back up after being sedentary.

2015-04-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Agree very much with the above.  I've gone from taking the day before off to taking the day before that off and doing something in all three the day prior.

EZ warmup and cooldown with perhaps 1-2x90" at race intensity (not more) in the middle.  Good gear check, as well.

Matt

2015-04-15 5:03 PM
in reply to: #5108232

Sage advice, and is all in line with what I was hoping to hear. Went for a nice 500 yard swI'm and a quick mile, and feel great. Will do the same the next few days.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pre race workout? Rss Feed