Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-05-07 4:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: pacquiao mayweather fight
Boxing isn't fighting. Greco-Roman wrestling , Judo and fencing aren't fighting either. They're sports--martial arts-- based on fighting. Saying that a boxer would lose to an MMA fighter in a street fight is sort of missing the point of boxing.

2015-05-07 6:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Boxing isn't fighting. Greco-Roman wrestling , Judo and fencing aren't fighting either. They're sports--martial arts-- based on fighting. Saying that a boxer would lose to an MMA fighter in a street fight is sort of missing the point of boxing.

True, but in the sport of boxing there are "boxers" and there are "fighters" - stylistically speaking, to which, each fan can have his preference. That was more about what I speaking towards in my opinionated portion of my post. I've been around some accomplished amateur boxers, so I have a great appreciation for boxing for sure. I just always side with an aggressive fighter is all.
If you had a match with 2 Floyd Mayweather's in the ring, you'd have 2 guys standing around waiting for a bus -->Just start'n more trouble lol

*Jonah, you doing the Prospect Park Duathlon this weekend? Doing it again, I did the March one in 40 degree rain, they gave me hefty discount for this one, so signed up - give me a nicer weather comparison time

Edited by TJHammer 2015-05-07 6:07 PM
2015-05-08 6:44 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

True, but in the sport of boxing there are "boxers" and there are "fighters" - stylistically speaking, to which, each fan can have his preference. That was more about what I speaking towards in my opinionated portion of my post. I've been around some accomplished amateur boxers, so I have a great appreciation for boxing for sure. I just always side with an aggressive fighter is all.
If you had a match with 2 Floyd Mayweather's in the ring, you'd have 2 guys standing around waiting for a bus -->Just start'n more trouble lol

*Jonah, you doing the Prospect Park Duathlon this weekend? Doing it again, I did the March one in 40 degree rain, they gave me hefty discount for this one, so signed up - give me a nicer weather comparison time

That's true. The Arturo Gatti-Mickey Ward fights were some of the best I ever saw. Both of those guys would gladly take two punches to land one.

I raced last weekend and I've got the Brooklyn Half next week, so I'm not racing the Du, but have a great race!
2015-05-09 2:17 AM
in reply to: #5111928

User image

Elite
Left Brain, if you don't care for MMA, that's fine. Lots more head cuts, lots more blood. Early on fights could be very mismatched. But watching the progression of the sport, there are no more free lunches. The skill level has increased dramatically. They are all very well rounded. They still might have their favorite, but they are very skilled. As a sport, it's exciting to watch. But ya, more like street fighting. If it's not your cup of tea it's not.
2015-05-09 2:31 AM
in reply to: #5114091

User image

Elite
I watched the fight. Hugely disappointing. Mayweather did what he always does, won on points, stayed away, made the other guy look almost stupid. I can't stand him, but he most certainly won the match. Paquiao was completely ineffective. It wasn't even entertaining. Not even close to fight of the century. Hearns Hagler. Duran Leonard. Frazer Ali.... Those were fights. He is the best defensive fighter. Ridiculous speed still. And renowned gym rat. One of the best "boxers" ever.. Ehh. He gets more points than the other guy can get. First boxing match I ever paid for, and I won't do it again.
2015-05-09 2:48 AM
in reply to: #5114093

User image

Elite
As for MMA... Nick Diaz, former golden gloves boxer, has without a doubt the best hands in MMA. But he's not rich from boxing, and he doesn't make millions on his fights. That's a great example of MMA and boxing. And I can't stand Diaz either, but he no joke. And getting him on the ground, ya good luck with that. Excellent ground game. But he never earned a belt boxing. But GSP, Aldo, Silva, Petis, Jon Jones, Henderson... The best... Their skill levels are ridiculous. And 5 minute rounds, action is forced... It's exciting. Anything can happen. Knock outs from hands, elbows, feet, knees. Chokes from every angle. Submissions standing, from guard, Mount... Anything can happen at any second. It's a great sport. Maybe one day title fights will pay millions. Doesn't matter though, it's still wildly entertaining. And they are most certainly world class fighters and athletes.

Even still... Paquiao made more loosing than every MMA fighter will make for the entire year. Sure is nice being at the top of a dead sport.

2015-05-12 4:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Jason N

It's funny how many people say that boxing is going down the drain while MMA and other events are growing.......Mayweather will make enough in this fight to pay EVERY SINGLE SALARY/PRIZE PURSE of  MMA fighters for a year. LOL

Regardless who how much these guys are making.  Boxing is has been dead, and is now buried in my eyes.  I'm 33, and this was the first time, and last time I will ever chip in with my buddies to watch boxing PPV.  We have watched about 15-20 UFC fights via PPV and have never regretted a purchase.  

I don't watch fights because people get paid a lot.  We were fooled into it this time, but never again.  Maybe if there is hype on another mega fight where both fighters actually want to knock the other guy out and have no interest in a decision...but let me know when that happens.  My guess is it won't because you can't go undefeated (what boxing seems to cherrish) fighting that style.  MMA doesn't really care if you have a perfect record...or even if you lose half your fights.  If you make exciting fights, MMA fans want to watch.

If boxers continue to get paid mega millions despite me not paying attention...good for them.

Jason....it's boxing.  Mayweather is a master at it.  I enjoyed what I saw of it.  The rematch will be fun as well.

I think MMA is a joke as sport.  I won't watch it for free.

Simple difference of opinions.  I'm not in any way trying to convince anyone that MMA is better.  I don't watch boxing when it's on TV for free, so I should have known better.  I fully understand Mayweather is a master at what he does...I just don't find it worthy of my attention and certainly not my money.

I was going to compare the fight to watching competitive cup stacking...but honestly I think I would have found cup stacking more enjoyable to watch.

2015-05-12 9:08 PM

User image

Pro

The fight generated over 500M in total receipts.  In fact, Mayweather has now been the common denominator in the top 3 grossing fights of all time.  Clearly, boxing fans like him and will pay to watch him in a dead sport. LMAO 

Then again, it may be because most people would like to see him get his arse kicked......good luck with that.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-05-12 9:09 PM
2015-05-13 7:38 PM

User image

Elite

The fight generated over 500M in total receipts.  In fact, Mayweather has now been the common denominator in the top 3 grossing fights of all time.  Clearly, boxing fans like him and will pay to watch him in a dead sport. LMAO 

Then again, it may be because most people would like to see him get his arse kicked......good luck with that.

Well it's why I watched.

But ya, probably won't happen since he has no reason to engage in an actual fight.

2015-05-15 1:59 PM

User image

Again...I said the sport is dead to ME.  I could not care less about what anyone else does.  Soccer is the #1 sport in the world...by a pretty hefty margin.  I think Crickett is #2.  That doesn't mean I'm going to give up my weekends of football just because the rest of the world is watching something else I have little to no interest in.

If you want to spend money watching boxing, that's your decision and I'm fine with that.  Knock yourself out...

Edited by Jason N 2015-05-15 2:02 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » pacquiao mayweather fight Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Twitter Fight at the OK Corrall in Big "D"

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 873 Posts: 3

2013-01-09 1:04 PM bradleyd3

Cat fight

Started by tuwood
Views: 1750 Posts: 12

2012-12-13 3:30 PM ChrisM

Pacquiao VS Hatton

Started by Super T
Views: 657 Posts: 3

2009-05-03 3:10 PM kmill23

And then the fight started.....?

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1353 Posts: 7

2008-08-26 5:36 PM Machiavelo

why we fight

Started by autumn
Views: 1282 Posts: 23

2007-01-09 6:10 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
comments : 3
I knew I needed to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. Encouraged by other weight-loss surgery runners, triathletes and even Ironmen, I set goals to become an active triathlete.

date : June 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
We all have our reasons for what we do and why we train. I liken my fight against heart disease to Gandalf, and his memorable “You shall not pass” scene.