CPEI
3C / 37F
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 2s
Overall Rank = 2/17
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I last did this TT two years ago after starting to work with Shane as my coach. Conditions that day were perfect and I shattered my previous best time by something like 2 minutes going 30:00. on 276w. Based on how my training had been going I think mid to high 290s was achievable for this TT. The biggest obstacle was going to be that this was only my 3rd ride outside of the year and only the 2nd on the tri bike. On Thursday I had done a ride on it where I did a 25 min interval at 275w without too much difficulty.
Event warmup:

It was COLD out with the temperature at only 3 degrees. That meant I had to forego some aeroness to avoid freezing. Full finger gloves, shoe covers, running tights and a long sleeved UA running shirt (still a snug fit). I wore my PI Octane Tri suit over that (which means it's likely too big...). After registering and getting the bike setup I went for a short 5 min ride to make sure everything was working well. Once I got back my fingers were frozen already! Waited for the rider's meeting and got my start position and then went back out to try to warmup. Probably should have gotten in more time given how cold it was but it was tough to be motivated to do so! Got to the start line about 3 mins before my start and got set.
Bike
  • 30m 2s
  • 19 kms
  • 37.96 km/hr
Comments:

Started out at a good strong power to get up to speed and then quickly got into my aerobars. The first stretch is short, slightly downhill and downwind and I hit the first turn in about a minute. It's the only turn that requires extra caution due to a bit of a blind hill for the cars approaching it. After making the turn I tried to settle the power down a bit as I was floating around 310w which was too high. I was able to do that after a minute or so and just started focusing on the road ahead. I caught the guy that started ahead of me at about the 5 minute mark. A minute or so after that was the first short hill. I kept things mostly in check there but not long after that I started feeling a bit tired like my legs were just sluggish. I tried to just keep the power up but that feeling never really went away and each hill made it a bit worse (there were lots of them!). I started catching more riders shortly before the half way mark and could see more up the road. I just tried to keep reeling them in. I knew that once I turned at the half way mark I would have more wind at my back and sometimes that higher speed helps me keep the power up. One other issue I was having was that the bike wouldn't shift into the smallest cog on the cassette so I ended up spinning out a lot sooner than I would have liked - that got really annoying.

Making that turn I caught a friend shortly after that is a really strong rider (but he was on a road bike) that started 2 minutes up on me. I kept the power up fairly well in this stretch and caught some more riders before the two toughest hills of the TT. Just as I passed one guy and started down a steep descent a couple of dogs started chasing us - that scared the crap out of me! One of them was doing his damndest to keep up with me (but staying on the other side of the ditch thank goodness).

Based on my time to this point I knew I was going to be very close to my time from 2 years ago but I really wanted to sneak under 30:00. Once I made the final turn I knew it would come down to seconds but I just couldn't get my legs to put in a big surge and ended up at 30:02 on 276w. Essentially an identical ride to 2 years ago, albeit in much worse conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up better. Not have the worst winter snow fall in 40 years.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sluggish legs.No practice time on the TT bike.

Last updated: 2015-05-11 12:00 AM
Biking
00:30:02 | 19 kms | 37.96 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/17
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangular with all right turns. Gradual net downhill on the way out and then up back with constant hills the whole time.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-05-11 5:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: Mother's Day TT

2015-05-11 6:36 PM
in reply to: #5114619

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mother's Day TT

Geeze, only 2 seconds slower. That is great! Very nice work. Hopefully summer finds you soon.

and omg the dogs!!!!! That is crazy. That could have been really bad.

As someone that doesn't really bike and definitely does bike with power I am wondering what was the reason for not hitting your wattage target? Was it the weather conditions? I imagine getting that kind of an effort when it is so cold would be extremely challenging in 3 degrees.

And seriously, you really need to not have the worst snowfall in 40 years. That is all on you. 

2015-05-11 8:18 PM

User image

Still a solid effort considering your weather limitations so far this year.  It's tough when everything in your training tells you that you can hold 20 more watts, but sometimes it's just not there when you want it.

2015-05-12 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I do not envy your weather at all!  I can't (won't even try to) imagine how brutal that must have been! 

Couple questions for you: do you ride the TT bike on the trainer?  If not, why?  What did you do for your warm-up (i.e. was it really just five minutes?  on the trainer?  any specific intervals?)?

2015-05-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I do not envy your weather at all!  I can't (won't even try to) imagine how brutal that must have been! 

Couple questions for you: do you ride the TT bike on the trainer?  If not, why?  What did you do for your warm-up (i.e. was it really just five minutes?  on the trainer?  any specific intervals?)?

In past years I've had my TT bike on the trainer but I spent most of the time sitting up so this past winter I just left the road bike on the trainer.  Another part of the reasoning for that was that my first big race of the year is Alcatraz and I will be using my road bike for that.

Warmup was more like 10 mins the second time out - not enough at all!  I think this may have been the largest detriment to my performance.

2015-05-13 7:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

Good job going after it Arend! Definitely tough conditions to ride in.

2015-05-13 7:46 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Geeze, only 2 seconds slower. That is great! Very nice work. Hopefully summer finds you soon.

and omg the dogs!!!!! That is crazy. That could have been really bad.

As someone that doesn't really bike and definitely does bike with power I am wondering what was the reason for not hitting your wattage target? Was it the weather conditions? I imagine getting that kind of an effort when it is so cold would be extremely challenging in 3 degrees.

And seriously, you really need to not have the worst snowfall in 40 years. That is all on you. 

I don't know for sure, but for me it seems like cooler tends to help being able to go harder until the chills go right through you. Then the body doesn't seem to want to put out as much. Or perhaps risk going all in as if it's instinctively saving something in reserve. Can see some of that looking across a few late season races for me last year. I did about the same in two races with one in nice sunny temps and another down around 45 with some wind. I felt fine down to 45 where it was certainly colder out, but didn't go through to the bones. But in a duathlon it actually felt harder to go 10 watts lower when that feeling came in with the temps being 38-39 at the race start. I wasn't actually cold at all on the bike, but knew the air was cold enough to do that if I stopped. That feeling wasn't present on either of the runs though.

2015-05-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Given the winter, I'd say that was pretty dang great!  To be only 2 seconds off, especially given the conditions, is an adjusted better performance (awkward wording, but you know what I mean).

I find that togging up to deal with the cold just slows me down, period.  Once I have to wear more than bib shorts and a jersey or shorts and a tank, my times get worse.  Nothing to do with training (and I don't know about it being over the line to too cold for you in this particular race - but maybe that, too), but even running in tights and a vest seems to make me slower (and I've never had to race a bike in anything but a tri suit or bib shorts, but I'm definitely slower with all that protective garb).

Maybe you should invest in an aero pair of lobster cycling mittens??

Nice race.

Matt

2015-05-13 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, that is some cold stuff and you still ended up with the same time?!?! I think that bodes well for your biking this season. Stay warm and Congratulations!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mother's Day TT Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Portland Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5K

Started by MikeJ
Views: 928 Posts: 1

2007-05-13 3:47 PM MikeJ

Forzani Mother's Day Race

Started by irondog
Views: 1511 Posts: 2

2006-05-18 11:56 AM CalgaryRunner

Mother's Day Duathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1059 Posts: 16

2005-05-10 10:25 AM Stacers

Keno Bros. Mother's Day Duathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1183 Posts: 15

2004-06-06 10:39 AM Aikane

Mother's Day 10K

Started by cmatt
Views: 907 Posts: 4

2004-05-10 10:33 AM kgart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.