United States
HFPRacing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 10s
Overall Rank = 156/201
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 6:30 AM. Hit the bathroom, got my race clothing on. I had pulled together all the stuff I needed the night before. Grabbed a cherry turnover, and a banana. I think I needed a little more than that.

Got to the park, race packet pickup took a long time. They had a long line, I think we stood around for 20 minutes waiting to get the race packets. Got body marked, looked around for my wife.

I had headed back to my car to put the race goodies in it, but then I had forgot my keys back in transition (DOH). So I just put it with my bag outside the transition area.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike over to the transition area, and packet pick up. It was feeling just fine.

Got transition set up then did a very short jog, shins were feeling a little sore. Which I really didn't understand, I was trying to get them feeling better.

Headed down to the lake for a dip, and see how the water felt. Did a few hundred yards, 200-300 maybe.

I got out, headed up the hill checking for my wife.... still no sign of her.
Swim
  • 19m 43s
  • 825 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I could tell I have not been in the water nearly enough over the summer. Just could not really get into a good mode and stay there. I did in part what I wanted to do, and that was stay within my own race. I hate going out so fast then flailing along like a wounded duck for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I was going to stick my shoes on the bike and try that, but because I had not practiced it I did not want to risk it this race. I figure it might have cut a couple of seconds off the race, but not much more than that.

Not much, maybe practice having the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 44m 53s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed on the bike, I figure I was likely near the end of my wave getting out of the water. Passed a whole lot of people on the bike, had a few of the folks from teams that passed me, not a whole lot of any one else.

I had hoped to get a higher average speed on the bike, but I don't know what happened. I just kept going and figured I would do the best I could.

I don't normally struggle on the bike, it comes pretty easy and I can stay in a zone fairly well. This was not really any different than normal.

As I was pulling into transition at the end of the ride, I finally spotted my family. I think they had just arrived (an hour and a half late). Now I understand that she has 4 kids she is loading up, and one of those kids slept until after 8:30. She tells me she was there at 9:00, and I was pulling through at 9:15. I had wanted everyone there for the start of the race, because I thought they would really like seeing all the swimmers go off. They might make it to a race on time NEXT year, we'll see.

Not very much, maybe push a little harder on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I think the bike and T2 had a little bit of a swapped time. I didn't hit the lap button until I had the bike racked. Maybe a 10-20 second dalay. Had to move someone's bike to get mine back on the rack.

Socks were soaking wet, and gravel was sticking to them.

As I headed out of transition my daughter jogged with me to the drink station (about 100-150 yards) she took a picture and then stopped and helped pass out water for the runners.

Learn to run without socks.
Run
  • 34m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I HATE THE RUN! I just feel like I never have anything left to give during the run. I feel like my body has run as long as it is going to go.

I hit this run feeling not too bad, I was wanting to go out about 9-9:30 pace. I don't know if I hit that or not. I felt like I was just shuffling along. I think I likely did the first mile about 9-10 minutes.

But I feel like I just fell apart after that. I had intended to eat a gel as I was coming in on the bike, then I forgot. Mile 2 I was jogging and walking and jogging and walking. I hit the turn I around I was so happy to see that.

Mile 3 was a little better only because I started thinking "only another 10 minutes." I was not able to keep myself running, but I was able to push a little harder than I had been. This is the mental struggle I hit, I am physically pushed about as far as I can go, but I think I could do better if I can beat the mental game.

Figure out how to run after moving for an hour.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, walked around saw Tammy. Got some food and cheered a few more finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stinking running. I just need to keep working on this area. I think as I drop pounds it will help. I just need to train my body and mind to over come the fatigue.

Last updated: 2006-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:43 | 825 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 152/201
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri top/bike shorts
Course: Big long retangle, down along the beach back up toward the lake, then back along the beach again.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:53 | 14 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 113/201
Performance: Average
HR - Avg 128 Max - 136
Wind: Some
Course: Out of the park along Buck Creek lane, along Old Columbus road to Mahar road. Followed Mahar road till it jogged left, then continued until we passed Grant road. Grand road back to Old columbus and back into the park. There were a couple of nice little hills, but nothing any too bad.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:29 | 03.11 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 180/201
Performance: Bad
HR - 122 Ave Max - 131
Course: Out along the bike path, then back along the same way. Couple of nice little climbs.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Buck Creek Triathlon

2006-08-27 2:12 PM
in reply to: #523247

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: Buck Creek Triathlon
Oh, man, my run sucked too. Felt like I was cramping up between mile 1 and 2. Ugh. Nasty. I thought I was going to have a faster run, but whatever. I'll wait for the official times to get posted before I complain to much.

Sorry we didn't meet up . . . maybe next time.

Congratulations on your race!
2006-08-27 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Wasn't your goal 1:40? If so, you were within 2% which I'd call pretty good!

Gettin' really fast on transitions!
2006-08-27 10:15 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to survive. Sounds like it was a tough day for you. I understand about "finding" the family at the start. Maybe next year....
2006-08-27 11:07 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
2006-08-28 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Sorry you had a tough time on this race.  Do you think wondering about your family could have contributed to your swim performance?  You had a great time on the bike and really did pretty well on the run except the last mile, which was primarily uphill!  Don't be to hard on yourself - you finished in 1:42 and had your butt out there which is more than most people are willing to do on a Sunday morning (or any other morning for that matter!)  Congratulations! 

I loved that your daughter ran with you and then helped pass out water.  What a great family you have - I loved meeting them!

2006-08-29 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Congrats on your race!  What number tri is this for you?  I think you are doing great!  And even if you didn't have the family there for the start, they were there at the end.  I have yet to get my DH to come to a race.  Glad the rain stopped.  It sounds like you all had a great day!

2006-08-29 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

You know I was just looking back at my last tri before this race.  It is sort of funny, I ran only 45 seconds slower this race.  But I was extremely disappointed in this performance, that is because I was expecting to do so much better.  I have been working on the running, but I know it is not enough.  I need to increase the overall fitness level, which I have compared to January.  But I wanted to do even better.

I think some of it was setting an unrealistic goal.  But some of it is just not having the overall fitness.  I know I can do better, and I will keep working.

Thanks for the encouragement, it does help a lot.  I will keep right on pushing, 4 weeks to my final 2006 race (unless I find something in the deep south then convince my wife we need to go to it.

2006-08-29 7:54 PM
in reply to: #525952

User image

Master
La Crosse
wsm9363 - 2006-08-29 3:04 PM

(unless I find something in the deep south then convince my wife we need to go to it.

IMFL?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon Rss Feed