Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Why I didn't lose weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-28 2:27 PM

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
Subject: Why I didn't lose weight

Hi everyone,

I have been training for 2 years full time now. I'm a retired 51 and I'm 5'4'' at 155 pound. I have around 25 pound to lose.

I have been training 6 times a week and 3 days a week is 2 training a day. I train around 2h00 everyday.

I have a personnal dietician and I follow here recommendation. I had 2 different personnal coach in that 2 years, but it didn't do good job properly so now I do my training alone with the BT custom training plan creator.

When I saw my dietician last time, she told me I was supposed to lose weight with the food I eat. The reality is that I have not lost a pound.

I did sprint triathlon in the moment and I check to do Olympic now. I did 2 half marathon. I'm slow a bit my half I did it in 2h12 so it's not fast but in the same time I run as if I was wearing a weight belt of 25 pounds everytime I do my training or competition.

The thing is all the time when I run my average HR is around 170 bpm. I did my half marathon last sunday and the average HR was 176 and my max was 186 bpm.  When I was at 180 bpm I was able to speak short sentences with my spouse during the run. So I was not close to die. On my last sprint triathlon I average 165 bpm and I focus to tried to keep my HR low.

I was thinking to do a half Ironman at the end of summer but realy not sure now. My half was hard. I choke at 17km and my leg was not able to push more. So now I know that my stamina is not good enough. I have to do more long run and ride to be better.

When I did my LT test it was 173 bpm on running. My Zone 1:  120-132,  Zone 2: 133-144, Zone 3: 144-156, Zone 4: 156-168, Zone 5: 168-180.

My last test was last year so I have to do another one. My coach never ask me to do another one so. Now I'm alone and I will do test at every 2 month or something like that.

My heart rate quickly and easily mounted to 160 bpm. To remain at 120 or 130 I should almost walk.

So why I don't lose fat, weight ?

Some said you HR is to high all the time to lose fat, you burn only Carb. Some other said I burn a lot of calories, so I'm supposed to lose fat. I don't know?

Can you help me and tell me what's up with that !

It will be a pleasure to read your comment, idea or experience about it.

2015-05-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Why I didn't lose weight
Hey Frank,

What Oly are you doing ? We are in the same AG so may be racing. Magog will probably be my first Oly this summer

The only true way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. You need to get a good handle on this.
An app like MyFitnessPal on iphone does and excellent job. You want a calorie deficit but a reasonable one.

I lost 70lbs on more of a higher fat/lower carb diet and while this is very much a personal belief I think it works well for people our age doing this sport.
Are you a 'bibitte a sucre' ?

What I would do, step one is log everything I am eating, my exercise and do an analysis of that. I suspect you will find the answer.

PS : Dieticians in Quebec that understand sport and nutrition are pretty rare IMO. I shouldn't generalize, but stuff I have seen just blows my mind.

PS : rule of thumb is 2sec per lb per mile, so on a half, 2sec * 25lbs * 13miles or almost 11 minutes. Some use 3sec

Edited by marcag 2015-05-29 12:47 PM
2015-05-29 5:30 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

Bibite à sucre mdr.

I have a good sport dietician. She have a good name on the sport competition. I log all of what I eat and do training. I eat less than what I burn but not to much. I eat arount 250 calories less than what I burn. Some time yes I eat sugar like ice cream or chips but it's exception. I try in the moment to eat salade with protein like chicken and salmon.

What I will do now, I will burn more calories. I will do more bicycle everyday and swimm and run like usual. I have a computrainer at home so I can do a good bike training and some of it will be at low HR so I will burn more calories.

I think you speak french :-) like me.

You lose 70 pound congradulation body very good job. I don't have that much to lose but I have couple of weight.

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it.

2015-05-29 5:34 PM

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

Originally posted by marcag Hey Frank, What Oly are you doing ? We are in the same AG so may be racing. Magog will probably be my first Oly this summer The only true way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. You need to get a good handle on this. An app like MyFitnessPal on iphone does and excellent job. You want a calorie deficit but a reasonable one. I lost 70lbs on more of a higher fat/lower carb diet and while this is very much a personal belief I think it works well for people our age doing this sport. Are you a 'bibitte a sucre' ? What I would do, step one is log everything I am eating, my exercise and do an analysis of that. I suspect you will find the answer. PS : Dieticians in Quebec that understand sport and nutrition are pretty rare IMO. I shouldn't generalize, but stuff I have seen just blows my mind. PS : rule of thumb is 2sec per lb per mile, so on a half, 2sec * 25lbs * 13miles or almost 11 minutes. Some use 3sec

You were in the army to said extreme veteran?

2015-05-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: Frank50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Frank50

You were in the army to said extreme veteran?

Extreme veteran est une affaire BT pour dire que ca fait longtemps que t'es ici :-)

Quand ils calculent ton nombre de calories, des fois
1) on surestime notre "basic metabolic rate", les calories que tu brules a rien faire. J'ai du le mette a 1500 pour que les choses s'enlignent.
2) on soustestime les portions
3) on surestime les calories reportes par nos bebelles electroniques

Quelles courses fais tu cet ete ?

2015-05-29 6:32 PM

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

Je sais pas encore. J'ai fait le sprint de Fort Lauderdale et celui de Miami et dimanche passé le demi-marathon d'Ottawa.

Je suis à regarder ce que je vais faire. Je veux faire des Olympiques mais j'ai des problèmes d'endurance. Pour la natation je ne pouvais pas nager 500m et je me mettais en état de panique et pourtant je suis très à l'aise dans l'eau. Mon coach, que j'ai virer, ne faisait que des 50m et des 100m en piscine donc arriver en mer en Floride j'ai eu une panique lors de ma natation presqu'à l'arriver mais oufff. Après j'étais brûler et je n'ai pas couru pour le T1 trop brûler. La portier vélo est mon meilleur et arriver à la course plus capable. Je marche et cours. J'ai nager beaucoup après en mers des plus longues distance 1.5km et là ca allait super bien mais je nageais moins vite. Habituer à nager max 100m donc je nage vite. Le 2 ième la natation à été ma meilleur en 4 Triathlon. Je suis sortie en courant au T1 et mon T1 a été assez rapide. Le vélo ca bien été 31km/h de moyenne sur 34km de long et la course oufff encore. Le sprint de Miami était spécial un brin, 850m de natation, 34km de vélo et 6 km de course. Ce n'était pas un sprint conventionnel.

La je voudrais m'inscrire à un Olympique mais je suis pas certain. Je sais que la natation je devrais être bon, le vélo c'est certain mais le 10km je sais pas. J'arrive toujours brûler à la course donc. Je sais qu'il faut que je me donne moins sur le vélo et garde des forces pour la course, mais je dois mettre ca dans ma tite tête de toto.

J'étais entrain de regarder le triathlon de Tremblant à la fin juin, il y a magog que j'ai déjà fait et d'autre que je regarde et peut-être au USA aussi. Je ne suis pas encore décidé. Le demi-marathon m'a magané un brin et j'ai encore un peu mal au jambe. Je ne sais pas pourquoi, l'année passé je n'avais pas eu le mal de jambe que j'ai cette année. En tout cas mon but ultime de mon entrainement est de faire des IM. Reste à voir si je me rendrais là ou pas. J'espère bien que oui. Il est difficile de s'entrainer seul mais je le fais quand même. Je me suis inscrit avec le club Trimego de Trois-Rivières mais une gang de chum qui font des IM et qui performe. Je dois me lever à 05h00 du matin pour aller nager avec eux et ça j'ai de la difficulté à me lever car je ne me couche jamais avant 23h00 donc toujours fatiguer et je fais des fois de l'insomnie ce qui ne m'aide pas. Donc j'ai décider de lâcher ce groupe et reprendre mon entrainement seul. J'ai été 2 mois en Floride et j'ai adorer pour l'entrainement.

Toi es tu inscrit dans des évènements cette été?

Edited by Frank50 2015-05-29 6:39 PM

2015-05-29 6:37 PM

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

Edited by Frank50 2015-05-29 6:38 PM
2015-05-29 6:45 PM
in reply to: Frank50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Frank50

Je sais pas encore. J'ai fait le sprint de Fort Lauderdale et celui de Miami et dimanche passé le demi-marathon d'Ottawa.

Je suis à regarder ce que je vais faire. Je veux faire des Olympiques mais j'ai des problèmes d'endurance. Pour la natation je ne pouvais pas nager 500m et je me mettais en état de panique et pourtant je suis très à l'aise dans l'eau. Mon coach, que j'ai virer, ne faisait que des 50m et des 100m en piscine donc arriver en mer en Floride j'ai eu une panique lors de ma natation presqu'à l'arriver mais oufff. Après j'étais brûler et je n'ai pas couru pour le T1 trop brûler. La portier vélo est mon meilleur et arriver à la course plus capable. Je marche et cours. J'ai nager beaucoup après en mers des plus longues distance 1.5km et là ca allait super bien mais je nageais moins vite. Habituer à nager max 100m donc je nage vite. Le 2 ième la natation à été ma meilleur en 4 Triathlon. Je suis sortie en courant au T1 et mon T1 a été assez rapide. Le vélo ca bien été 31km/h de moyenne et la course oufff encore. Mieux car j'ai pas marcher mais très difficile. Il fallait que je me parle.

La je voudrais m'inscrire à un Olympique mais je suis pas certain. Je sais que la natation je devrais être bon, le vélo c'est certain mais le 10km je sais pas. J'arrive toujours brûler à la course donc. Je sais qu'il faut que je me donne moins sur le vélo et garde des forces pour la course, mais je dois mettre ca dans ma tite tête de toto.

J'étais entrain de regarder le triathlon de Tremblant à la fin juin, il y a magog que j'ai déjà fait et d'autre que je regarde et peut-être au USA aussi. Je ne suis pas encore décidé. Le demi-marathon m'a magané un brin et j'ai encore un peu mal au jambe. Je ne sais pas pourquoi, l'année passé je n'avais pas eu le mal de jambe que j'ai cette année. En tout cas mon but ultime de mon entrainement est de faire des IM. Reste à voir si je me rendrais là ou pas. J'espère bien que oui. Il est difficile de s'entrainer seul mais je le fais quand même. Je me suis inscrit avec le club Trimego de Trois-Rivières mais une gang de chum qui font des IM et qui performe. Je dois me lever à 05h00 du matin pour aller nager avec eux et ça j'ai de la difficulté à me lever car je ne me couche jamais avant 23h00 donc toujours fatiguer et je fais des fois de l'insomnie ce qui ne m'aide pas. Donc j'ai décider de lâcher ce groupe et reprendre mon entrainement seul. J'ai été 2 mois en Floride et j'ai adorer pour l'entrainement.

Toi es tu inscrit dans des évènements cette été?

A date je fais la demi IM a Tremblant, plus car j'ai des amis qui le font. Je serai la toute la fin de semaine, mon frere fais le spint la veille.
Ma course "principale" est probablement a Chicago pour les championnats du monde groupe d'age au mois de Septembre.
Je vais faire l'Olympique a Magog au mois de Juillet et probablement quelques Sprint. Je vais peut etre faire les courses "Coupe du Quebec"
Je voulais faire Drummondville et c'est mon Oly le plus rapide a date. Mais c'est trop proche de Tremblant.
2015-05-31 5:20 PM

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

Ok moi c'est encore trop tôt pour les demi IM mais sa va venir. Je regarde plus pour le Olympique à Tremblant. Je vais voir. Mais là je veux perdre du poids et je n'y arrive pas du tout. Si sa continue je vais arrêter de manger lol.

2015-06-27 7:23 AM

I am 5'4" and 51. Last summer I topped out at 160lbs. I decided I needed to do something totally different so I joined a gym and got a trainer. (I also saw my doctor who advised me on what my weight target should be).

I recorded everything that I ate for my trainer (I used an app on my phone) and I found that very tedious but certainly very useful and informative. It gave me nutritional breakdowns about the foods that I was eating and learned a lot.

To be honest, I did not see my trainer a lot, she created circuits for me within the gym on machines, free weights and floor work and I did those independently. I would check in with her periodically. She would weigh me on her machine that provided various data - body mass, etc. It was good to have someone following me, it gave me an incentive to stay on track.

I found classes to be much more motivating for me. I am in spin, boot camp, brazilian butt, etc. Those classes are so much fun, and I have met a lot of people who keep me motivated.

In all of this, I ended up doing a lot of strength work and that was different from the past. I really saw a result. I lost the weight and am keeping it off (I got to my target weight of between 130-135lbs). In the past, I had not put so much focus on strength training in the gym, but I am really liking the difference. The strength is really translating in my swim.

I don't starve myself and I don't keep strict records of what I eat. I know that my diet tends to be more protein than in the past, I was eating a lot of carbs before. I research various websites with delicious recipes of good whole foods to keep myself interested (as far as food goes, I get bored easily and then I slide back). I think finding interesting recipes and ways to prepare foods has made a difference.

I know how hard it is to lose the weight and keep it off. But you sound like you have a lot of determination and I am sure you can do it - best of luck!

Edited by e.e.cummings 2015-06-27 7:24 AM
2015-11-18 9:23 PM
in reply to: e.e.cummings

User image

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec

Thanks LilyoftheValley!

I did hard training everyday and continue to try to lose weight but it's realy not easy. Your wright, good mind and work and I will lose the weight for sure.

thanks again for your comment.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Why I didn't lose weight Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
Is it ever advisable to try to lose muscle mass? I've been struggling with a cycle of training to lose weight or rehabilitate some minor injury and only gaining muscle, which adds to my weight.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.

date : April 12, 2007
author : acbadger
We’re going to discuss, really, how simple it is to lose weight if you have the right weight loss information. I’m going to give you a few weapons to put into your weight loss arsenal in this segment.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.