Age Group Rank = 62/63
Pre-race routine:

Small bowl oatmeal, 1.5, coffee
Swim
  • 52m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

More shore break than last year, some current coming back in. This age group is more aggressive than 40-44, full body contact the whole time. One girl behind me grabbed my feet and tried to push me aside. Pretty much same time as last year
Transition 1
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

Didn't clip shoes onto pedals this year because there is a hill right as you exit the bike corral.
Bike
  • 4h 10m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I usually mash in big gears but I purposely used smaller gears to save my legs. My time was about 12 min slower but I had a strong run, no cramps, and didn't dnf. I researched how to solve cramping and didn't eat any solid foods during bike except chomps. Had 3 pnut butter hammer gels (no caffeine). Filled torpedo with nuun twice, then filled it with Gatorade endurance twice as pulling out the nuun tabs was being a chore. This stuff has like a slimy coating to it so it didn't upset my stomach as much as regular Gatorade. Kept plain water consumption low but poured it liberally on my head back and chest. The torpedo really helped stay hydrated and less time spent at aid stations. I didn't stop at every one.

Also had fuel belt flask only with concentrated perpetuem strawberry lime. Ate about 5 tums and 4 salt tabs.
What would you do differently?:

Train more
Transition 2
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

This year they racked first come first serve and t2 bags at bottom of corral. threw helmet and bike shoes in t2 bag after I took out running shoes.
Run
  • 3h 11m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm really stoked with my run. my overall time is 27 min shorter because I didn't have dehydration problems. Last time I went to the bathroom 3 times on the run and had gastric problems, extreme thirst and cramps. I felt great today and really pushed to finish. It is a hard race in my opinion, I am extremely sunburnt but not in much pain or tired.

I carried a fuel belt flask only with me with nuun and sipped in between aid stations. I ate about 10 tums and 7 salt pills. Half banana and red bull at mile 10. Cola after mi 5, Gatorade only after mile 8 to avoid ga strict problems. plain water sparingly.

I also had a different tri top with a big back pocket for supplies, as last year I had no pocket. This year's tri top also had a half zip with built in bra. I poured ice in my bra and down my back to cool core. Had iced sponges on my shoulders to block sun and keep cool. Also wore sunglasses on bike and run
What would you do differently?:

Train more, put blister block on feet
Post race
Warm down:

No alcohol, 2 alleve, hot tub

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Event comments:

I went without expecting too much, I just wanted to finish on time. I stuck with my hydration and nutrition plan and it paid off, as I don't think I trained as much as I should have. What time I did have to train, I trained in the heat to prepare for Kona. I think that paid off as I shave a considerable amount of time not bonking. I am done w/ Kona, looking for other venues with different scenery and conditions. This appears to be a hard race as I was running with people who looked way fitter and had the full ironman tattoos. Being prepared for the heat is key to this race.

Last updated: 2014-10-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:23 | 2112 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 62/63
Overall: 0/1466
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:10:01 | 56 miles | 13.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/63
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:11:10 | 13.1 miles | 14m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/63
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-05-31 1:58 AM

Veteran
Honolulu
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

2015-05-31 5:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Hawaii
Awesome! Glad the torpedo solved your hydration issues. Used to live in Honolulu (and now in Vietnam) so I know how challenging that heat/humidity can be. It really takes a lot of experimentation to figure out what nutrition and hydration works for your body in those conditions. I know I have to put a lot more thought into it than for training or racing in cooler conditions. Ice in the bra top is a great strategy--makes me glad I'm female. I was running with a dude from Singapore in IM Vietnam 70.3 and he could't replicate that trick with his tri top!

Jealous--would love to race in Hawaii again but the timing of the races never seems to work out.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-31 5:31 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Hawaii Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Started by j1tebedo
Views: 2442 Posts: 4

2009-06-04 2:34 PM j1tebedo

Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Started by grichards
Views: 2587 Posts: 4

2008-06-10 11:11 PM kinaiahi

Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Started by chrisp
Views: 2302 Posts: 2

2008-06-09 4:21 AM kinaiahi

Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Started by charge4brendan
Views: 2653 Posts: 4

2008-06-06 4:35 PM peto_primo

Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Started by naners
Views: 2808 Posts: 15

2007-06-07 1:21 PM AirWreck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.
date : June 5, 2006
author : Team BT
Ironman Hawaii triathlon wallpaper provided by swbkrun.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Team BT
Ironman Hawaii triathlon wallpaper provided by swbkrun.