Yeti Beti
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m
Overall Rank = 17/26
Age Group = Sport 30-39
Age Group Rank = 17/26
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up early and get over to the race site to cheer on a friend who was racing in Never Ever category, and watch the kids until they went to their mtb camp. Snuck over the the Pivot demo tent and snagged a demo Mach 429 to ride for the race. It was all a bit crazy - the opposite of routine. Have to accept that when I bring the family along and also have a kid racing.
Event warmup:

They moved the beginner race back half an hour so I mistakenly thought MY race would also be moved hack half an hour. Not so! Ended up having to throw everything together and run over to the start line when I realized it was on time. Forgot my inhaler, didn't get a warm-up at all (which sucks since the first part of the course is a big climb), didn't eat any chews like I normally do before I start. OOPS!! Had to just go with it.
Bike
  • 1h 31m
  • 11.9 miles
  • 7.85 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race in the much more competitive sport category, and I just wanted to finish somewhere mid-pack and not embarrass myself. Lined up in the second row since I knew the first part was climbing which is my strength. The start was crazy fast. I was redlining it the whole first mile or two. At one point I looked down and saw my HR was over 180 and knew that since I didn't take my inhaler, I was going to have to dial it back a little bit to make it through both laps. The course has a lot of turns and there were a lot of mud holes, and people were falling right and left around me. I was just focusing on staying on my bike and keeping my effort consistent between laps.

My friend Christy and I rode together the entire first lap, which was good. At the end of the first lap I passed her on a hill and took off, and ended up riding some of lap 2 by myself. I kind of like when I end up by myself at these races - it's just me and my effort, and I'm not worrying about people passing and all that.

I was riding a demo bike and it was a ton of fun on the flats, but I really had to watch it on the curves since it was a 29er and I'm not used to the big wheels. Had a couple close calls where I ended up in the grass, but feel like I rode pretty well for me. I didn't get passed by a single person on the downhills at this race - just on the climbs - which makes me feel like I'm finally picking up some downhill skills! My main limiter was the heat. I don't handle heat well in the first place, I'm not used to it with all the cold weather we've had, and I just felt like my HR was skyrocketing on the hills.

On lap two I was feeling good, and knew I could pick off a few people as they were fading. I was doing just that going into the back side of the trails when they made us all stop on the trail so they could evacuate someone who had crashed badly. We stood there for about 5 minutes while they did the evac, then they let us go one by one. We were about 2 miles from the finish at this point, and it seemed like everyone just rode it in from there without passing. So, to me that was where the race ended. I feel like I might have moved up a few places had I been able to actually "race" that section of the course, but that's ok - obviously the well-being of the girl who crashed is more important!

Came into the finish pretty spent. I really do think I gave it my all out there. I was beat the rest of the day. I suspect the heat had a lot to do with it. Finished 17/26, which was a bit disappointing for me. I would have like to be closer to top 10. Hard to tell from the results how close I was to being there, since the girls who finished at the top didn't have the evac delay. The girl who took 1st took 1:23 and my time with evac was 1:31, so I feel like I had about 1:26 of moving time. I'm happy with that - being only 4 minutes from the leader in a group this competitive is pretty good for me. I'd like to hit that top 10 goal next year though.
What would you do differently?:

Not warming up definitely hurt me. I usually take a good 20 minutes to get my legs warmed up, and without it the uphill start was downright painful. I didn't feel warmed up until about halfway through lap one, and feel like a lot of people passed me there that wouldn't have if I was warmed up. Also didn't take my inhaler - not sure if that had an effect or not. Lungs freaked out a bit at the start but then calmed down, and I didn't have any coughing fits or anything, so it was ok. The whole day was just crazy busy for me, and I wasn't focused on my race like I should be for a good performance. Feel like I did ok considering...
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, took my bike back, cheered on team members in other categories, got a massage (holy shit that hurt!!), then went and watched Aspen do her race. I was so busy all day that I forgot to eat lunch. My body was dying for some protein by the time I got home at dinnertime.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No warmup. No inhaler. No focus.

Event comments:

Beti Bike Bash is one of the best mountain bike races in CO. They had to change venues at the last minute this year due to flooding, and they did a great job getting things to work considering. I do think the course was a bit difficult for beginners and kids, but I liked the challenge myself - interested to see where they have it next year?

Last updated: 2015-06-15 12:00 AM
Biking
01:31:00 | 11.9 miles | 7.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/26
Overall: 26/26
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Philip S. Miller Park trails - a few steep hills, with lots of curves and switchbacks on the down. Not a fast course with all the turning.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-06-15 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Beti Bike Bash
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beti Bike Bash Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beti BikeBash

Started by Stacers
Views: 1013 Posts: 1

2014-06-02 10:40 AM Stacers

Beti BikeBash

Started by Stacers
Views: 957 Posts: 1

2013-06-02 5:09 PM Stacers

Dash and Bash Sprint Triathlon

Started by AdCo
Views: 1595 Posts: 14

2006-08-14 7:52 PM trilinerror

Dash and Bash Sprint Triathlon

Started by em73
Views: 1499 Posts: 14

2006-08-14 7:39 PM trilinerror

3 way dash and bash

Started by tri_again
Views: 1382 Posts: 6

2005-08-16 6:58 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.