General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake in the Hills Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake In The Hills, Illinois
United States
Lake in the Hills Parks & Recreation Dept.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 42s
Overall Rank = 70/225
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/29
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet Friday morning then went to the Rush concert Friday night. Probably not the best taper! 6th year in a row for this race so my routine was the standard wake up, granola with soy milk, head over to Costco for parking, ride to T2, set up, ride to T1. It had rained overnight and looked threatening. Rained a bit during swim warm-up and the race was delayed 15 minutes. Nothing major. Sipped about 1/2 bottle of Infinite.
Event warmup:

Riding to T2 and T1.
Swim
  • 14m 52s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim, sighting was good, minimal traffic since I was #90.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I am usually at 2 minutes or under over the years. Still have to stuff your wetsuit in a bag for transport to T2 and the bag was smaller this year.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 47m 21s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I am happy with this time. probably should have been 20 mph+ but with the rain and wet roads, I slowed into each turn. Struggled a bit to get up to speed the first few miles. Not sure why.

More bike training
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I am usually right at 1 minute over the years. Took a little time to get my socks on my wet feet.

Nothing.
Run
  • 34m 10s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Disappointed. My pace has been 8:15 or less up to 6 miles. I did a brick a couple of weeks ago that was 17 miles on the bike and a 25 minute 5k. Not sure what happened here. First mile was 8:14, second 8:21. Just started feeling tired. I know the hill is there and I have run it several times, but my third mile was 9:00. Last mile was 8:33. This is the slowest I have run this race segment in 3 years.

Not sure what happened. It was humid but only 72 by this time with overcast skies. I just lost my energy. I always have gone sans nutrition in this race. maybe I was hungry? Overcooked the bike? Really disappointed. Was shooting for 32:xx.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed, got my medal and immediately got 3 cups of Gatorade. Ate a banana, bagel, energy bar, so yeah, maybe a little hungry and thirsty. Rained a bit more so I packed up and headed home..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I was happy with the race but not with the individual segments. Weird. But I wanted to break 1:40 again at this race and I did. Would have like to have been 1:37.

Event comments:

New race directors this year, and the race was off/on late into the spring, which probably impacted participation. They did a good job though, but ran out of swim caps? Really? I will continue to do the race as long as it's around.

Last updated: 2015-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:52 | 880 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/225
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Rectangle, swim counter clockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:21 | 15.5 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Starts with a few small rollers, then mostly flat with a couple of small hills out on the course. Downhill the last .5 mile.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:10 | 04 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop through the neighborhoods, some on the MUP, one hill that starts just after mile 2. Finish on the MUP.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-15 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Lake in the Hills Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake In The Hills Triathlon

Started by newattri
Views: 1695 Posts: 1

2008-07-19 4:07 PM newattri

Started by mr2tony
Views: 1800 Posts: 4

2007-07-20 2:04 PM schmize

Started by daviddclough
Views: 1636 Posts: 1

2007-07-17 12:50 PM daviddclough

Lake in the Hills Triathlon

Started by bryans0626
Views: 751 Posts: 1

2007-07-16 9:04 AM bryans0626

Started by Rowdy
Views: 1986 Posts: 7

2007-07-19 5:37 PM marymosc13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.