Lifetime Fitness
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 36s
Overall Rank = 79/1505
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/179
Pre-race routine:

The day before, I drove out with some friends and we picked up our packets. It was really humid - storms were coming. I stayed at my parents' house that night so that I wouldn't have to drive in from the city. Lots of thunderstorms throughout the night.
Event warmup:

Woke up around 4:35a and it wasn't raining. But my the time I got to the event site (5:30 or so) it was pouring. I decided to just wait in the car (transition closed at 6:30a) bc what's the point of setting up if it's just going to get all wet. Around 6a I left the car and racked my bike. Still didn't set up anything. Still raining - and not like a sprinkle. It was really raining. The race director decided to leave transition open until 6:45. Some friends of mine stayed in their car until the last absolute minute and they got into trans with 5 mins left. Around 6:30 I sort of set up transition. Basically I just put everything I wanted into a garbage bag and then left my backpack of my other stuff in the garbage bag at the bottom. Really I should have left that in the car.

Met up with the rest of my friends - probably about 10 of us were here. Being with them made the rain a lot more fun.
Swim
  • 11m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

I positioned myself right in the front row and dived in at the horn. About 100m in my chest started feeling really constricted and it was hard to breathe. This feeling kept up for the rest of the swim. More than once I took a few extra strokes with my head above water to get in some air. Pretty surprised by this - I'm a pretty calm swimmer. I also felt like my arms were on fire.
Granted, this is the first time I have done a OWS (ish) swim this year and the first time wearing my wetsuit. So maybe it's just first-time jitters or forgetting what the westuit felt like.
What would you do differently?:

Pretty happy w/this. Better than last year by abt 30 secs and I haven't been swimming as much.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

I finished in the top 30 AG for this, but it was such a sh!t show. Couldn't find anything in the garbage bag. Rain is pretty light at this point. Ran with my shoes in my hand bc I didn't want to slip on the asphalt. I still can't take off my long-sleeve wetsuit while standing up. Had to sit down.

Leave my other stuff in the car so it could stay dry and then there would be less to go through in the garbage bag.
Bike
  • 44m 16s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm a tentative cyclist - so the rain didn't help anything. I was super paranoid about the wet roads - especially turning - and I stayed out of aero the entire first loop. The rain stopped Took in a Gu about 25' in to the bike. Just had one bottle of water on my frame and drank maybe 2/3 of it while riding.

Saw just about all of my friends. My friend L was right behind me at the first turnaround so I tired to add some speed bc I didn't want to catch up, haha. We ended up coming into T2 at the exact same time so I couldn't ditch her.

Be a more confident cyclist?
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Took off shoes right about 10 feet past the dismount. Was going to run in them back to rack, but I could tell how slippery the asphalt was. Better job on T2 - 6 in AG.
Run
  • 24m 15s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 51s  min/km
Comments:

No complaints - I think this time reflects my current run ability & training. A little slower than normal, but completely expected. Took in water around mile 1, and poured water from the other station over my head. Sun came out!

Nothing. This is not my "serious" year. I'm taking a mental break in 2015.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for friends.Sun came out and felt great!

Event comments:

The swim is unusual, but this race is so much fun. Side note: it's a women's race but there were two men who also did it.

Last updated: 2015-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:57 | 750 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/179
Overall: 133/1505
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Sepentine-style
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:16 | 13.3 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/179
Overall: 196/1505
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:15 | 05 kms | 04m 51s  min/km
Age Group: 18/179
Overall: 73/1505
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-24 12:26 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: Esprit de She Tri Naperville

2015-06-25 2:44 PM
in reply to: #5124528

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Esprit de She Tri Naperville

Nice job considering the bad conditions! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Esprit de She Tri Naperville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Esprit de She 2015 - Naperville

Started by Deb M
Views: 739 Posts: 1

2015-06-14 1:24 PM Deb M

Esprit de She Tri Naperville

Started by fivecents
Views: 1288 Posts: 2

2014-06-10 11:03 AM StartingToTri

Started by runbugjones
Views: 1287 Posts: 2

2014-06-09 12:03 PM fivecents

Started by cloudlover
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 3:40 PM cloudlover

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Super Sprint Course

Started by 4agoodlife
Views: 2192 Posts: 18

2013-05-09 1:28 PM KansasMom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2014
comments : 4
This was my 2nd time training but 1st time competing in the Naperville Sprint Triathlon!

date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.