General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 19s
Overall Rank = 35/281
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Up in Solana Beach at 4, a mocha, fig bars, and to check-in before it opened.
Swim
  • 08m 24s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

With a few seconds run to the timing mat, this was a sub-1:40/100m pace, *by far* my fastest swim. It's from two things -12,000m/week and my masters coach have turned me into a swimmer rather than a cyclist/triathlete ;) .

I reminded myself to not lose my stroke at the gun, so with the adrenaline, I thought, "...why is my stroke so slow," and, "...why am I passing people? Oh yeah, good job, Coach!"

I lined up wide left, borrowing a tip from a buddy I was surprised to see by coincidence at the finish, and with all of my open water experience, I sighted on the far buoy, and ignored the zig-zag in-between that most people followed. The zig-zag was so pronounced that a lifeguard in a kayak blocked me and asked, "where are you going?" It only wasted a second to stop and point straight ahead, "to that yellow buoy." She got out of the way.

The things I am happiest about are that I was only 1/4 of the way back in a So Cal field, and that including my new, fast swim, my splits were balanced, for the first timer ever in a tri.

Oh, and I love my sleeveless wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing this time! I totally exceeded my expectations. I took it easy in masters at the end of the week, and that probably helped, but keeping a 1:35-ish pace was a lot faster than I expected.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

2/15 for both T1 and T2
39/281 overall

I'm fast in transition these days, mostly because I'm fast barefoot, and it's second nature to get on and off the bike at speed. I *barely* practice flying mounts, and don't have to think about it.

I suspect that I traded a few seconds with the swim at T1 - at Oceanside, I was in about the top 5%, this time I was in maybe the top 14%.
Bike
  • 36m 42s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I put everything I had into the bike, and at 20.3mph, met my goal - 20+ was the podium pace last year, and I was surprised that I beat it with the wind we had. 5th in the ag but 33rd overall? People showed up at my rack this time!

Again, nothing. I'm in shape from hills with my clubs, and I didn't make any mistakes. Strava says I was in the top 6% on the way back. I'm a happy guy.

The joke with my friends is that I had a good race because Gil only beat me by one minute on the bike ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I was fast again. I love wearing tri shoes this season. I dismount at running speed, and have one less thing to do in T2.

A couple of small things I kept track of were the Fly 6 camera, and I packed my phone in my number belt so I could take pictures at the finish in Seaport Village a few miles away.
Run
  • 27m 43s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The bike's hills and the wind on Point Loma ate time on the run. The run felt slow, and since I expected to run a 6:45 pace, I was sure I gave up four minutes to the field. My 7:22 pace was faster than my guess glancing at my Garmin, and way faster than I expected compared to the rest of the field. 15% back in this field means I again have to admit that I've become a runner. ;)

Nada. This was a classic trade-off between intensity on the bike intensity on the run. Since I emphasized the bike and still had my best split in the ag in the run, I guessed right.

I suspect my current mix of 30mpw volume with 6 miles of tempo and track is working. A little more of each makes sense for the half distance, but this was about as fast I could have gone after than friggin bike leg.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a water, looked up, and saw my buddy. "Gil?" That was one spot on the podium gone. We chatted and caught up with things since we used to ride together on the desert. At the results board, he was first in the ag, and I was 3rd, the first time ever it looked like we'd be on the same podium. That lasted for a couple of hours until awards; the timers found a guy they'd lost track of and bumped us down. Small sigh. I was so content with my solid race that it didn't sting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. My swim was faster than ever, transitions were within seconds of the very top, my bike was 33rd overall, and my run was 3rd in the ag. I can't think of any mistakes in training or in the race. I'm happy about the whole thing.

Event comments:

Results

Sadly, I was sort of robbed. The timing company switched and missed a guy, so I got bumped off the podium at awards. It was a fun race, and I beat my target by a minute - from the bike and swim. My run was slower than I expected; I was hoping for a sub-7 pace, so I had had a good swim to make up for it!

s/b/r/t1-2
5/5/3/2 of 15 ag
78/33/44/39 281 overall

I knew I had a balanced, solid race, but was surprised by the run split. The swim felt really fast, the steep, windy bike was podium-fast, and I thought I paid for it with a slow run. I did, but so did everyone else. Here are the numbers:

s/b/r/t1-t2, I was 5/5/3/2 of 15 in the ag and 78/33/44/39 out of 281 overall.

- I have to admit again that I'm a runner ;)

- I had my best swim ever at a 1:35-1:40/100m pace, and am stoked that I was about 1/4 of the way back in a So Cal field. Thanks Coach Nancy!

- I was fast on the tough Point Loma bike course, and only got beat by my buddy Gil by a minute. I went 20.3 mph, and did well overall in the field.

- I have to grudgingly admit that my run was good. I put everything I had into the bike, and am still sort of stunned that I finished so well in the field running.

- This was my most balanced tri ever. I'd never imagine that my swim would be anything faster than the middle of the pack, especially in SD or OC. Have I said, "Thanks, Coach Nancy," yet?
wink emoticon

- It was total fun to cheer my buddy Dana and her crew from AZ. They *totally* rock!

Last updated: 2015-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:24 | 500 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 78/281
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: A rectangular out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:42 | 12.43 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 33/281
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Point Loma.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:43 | 03.73 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 44/281
Course: From Spanish Landing to Seaport Village
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-30 11:14 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Atolins
Views: 803 Posts: 1

2011-06-28 5:58 PM Atolins

Started by cjhild
Views: 1604 Posts: 6

2010-06-30 3:14 PM Chezz

Started by iowagander
Views: 1615 Posts: 6

2010-06-30 12:45 PM cjhild

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 1586 Posts: 3

2008-07-01 11:50 AM jamesG

Started by K-Money
Views: 1724 Posts: 4

2007-06-27 8:19 AM goran007
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!