General Discussion Race Reports! » TAT Tulsa Triathlon - TAT50 Mile Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TAT Tulsa Triathlon - TAT50 Mile Course - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tulsa, Oklahoma
United States
Tulsa Area Triathletes
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 53m
Overall Rank = 16/45
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

The race was rescheduled from late June due to heavy rains and the lake flooding. OK has had its wettest year ever so oyur humidity is unusually high. the heat index was high 70's at 5 AM. We expected the heat index to reach 100 during the race. I woke at 4 and had some oatmeal and a protein bar. this was my first triathlon so I had the normal anxiety. The transition area was about half full when I arrived. We could put our bike anywhere. Everyone was nice. I did look how others set up their area to ensure I did not miss anything. Somehow on the trip from the house to the race the left pad of my aero bars fell off. I couldn't believe it.
Event warmup:

I took the advice from several on the site and got wet and swam a few minutes in the lake.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was warm and not wtsuit legal which did not surprise anyone. I swam well and came out of the water 9th. The race semed long and it was by 400 meters. There was a shortage of water safety personnel so the course was reset to two loops from the original one loop. One buoy got loose and was reset incorrectly. The fastest swimmer had a 2:13 per 100 pace and the race directors aplogoixed for the oversight Overall I benefitted from the extra practice.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice more OWS. I pull to the right and need to improve my sighting. I tried to sight every other breath but obviously did not sight very well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I took my time and thought about using an extra sock as a pad for the lost arm rest pad. I took a gel and drank some water.

Make sure I don't lose an elbow pad. I can cut some time with more experience and increased comfort level
Bike
  • 2h 28m
  • 40 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was difficult. The course was very hilly. I drove the course the night before and was concerned. Several racers commented the course was tough as we set up our transition areas. Overall I rode better than I expected and averaged 16.2 MPH. That was slow compared to others and i was was passed by everyone. I went from 9th to 33rd overall. My heart rate stayed too high but given the hills it was tough to lower. There were long downhills which helped and I did hit speeds of 27 to 29 MPH. That is fast for me and makes you think you dont want to hit any cracks. My bike computer was off and the MPH went to 0.0 frequently. I hit the 20 mile turn around at 15.2 miles on my bike computer. The second half of the course was the faster of the two halves. My watch also quit at the bike tirnaround so I lost HRM and GPS. I tried everything to get it to work during the remainder of the race but never got it to work properly. I did get in the aero position as much as possible given the loss of the elbow pad. It was uncomfortable in the aero position but not unbearable. I did ride with a camel back to help hydrate.

I have taken the computer back twice to have it fixed. I need to get it replaced. It's a new bike computer.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I had another gell and water and packed the other gels to take on the course. I was slow to ensure I did not foget anything or start a run with my helmet on my head. I was one of the few in the transition area due to a slow ride.

Just need to speed up which should come with more races
Run
  • 1h 39m
  • 9 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

The heat arrived with the run. My wife said we hit the 100 heat index when I was on the second loop. I was very slow on the bike so the transition area was almost empty. We had about 225 total racers with the 50 mile event and olympic event. I used my watch for total time to estimate my pace. I ran very comfortably and stayed within myself until the last loop of the three loops. Many people were walking the course I and was able to move up the rankings quickly. There were two hills and one was tough. Most of the runners walked the larger hill. One runner passed me and I could hear the squishing in his shoes as he ran. My shoes started squishing on my second lap. I have never had this happen to me. I used the towels they ofered at the water stops and ran with one towel under my hat. I soaked my hat and towel at the two water stops on the course. On my second loop I decided there were 6 people I would try and catch on the last loop. the 50 mile racers had the first 50 numbers making identification of your place easy to estimate. I was fortunate to catch 5 out of the 6. The one I missed won the 35 and under division. Overall I was pleased with the run.

Fix the watch. I reset the watch after trouble shooting the watch when I got home. Its working fine now but I have concerns.
Post race
Event comments:

I was very impressed with the race direcors and the volunteers who made the tough race enjoyable. About 10% of the racers did not finish the 50 mile event. I was thrilled when I was told I won my age group. I was smiling like a four year old getting their first trophy. I estmated the course would take me 5:30 to finish but told my wife I would be thrilled with 5. I knew on the last lap I could beat 5 hours if I kept my pace and was very pleased with the overall 4:53. My swin was good. I am not a strong cyclist but I saw just how weak I am. I only passsed two people and that's because one racer had a flat and his friend stopped to help him. The run was good and I was pleased with 11 min miles given the hills and heat. I really enjoyed my first event and realize I have a lot of work to do. Hats off to the Tulsa Area Triathletes for a good race

Last updated: 2015-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/45
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle with two loops
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:28:00 | 40 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 33/45
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:00 | 09 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 16/45
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-07-26 6:02 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: TAT Tulsa Triathlon - TAT50 Mile Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TAT Tulsa Triathlon - TAT50 Mile Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Five Mile Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by jsm
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2014-06-28 2:27 PM jsm

TAT Tulsa Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by handyhammer
Views: 819 Posts: 1

2014-06-20 12:54 AM handyhammer

Five Mile Lake Women's Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Andreab451
Views: 979 Posts: 1

2014-06-19 7:37 PM Andreab451

Tulsa Triathlon

Started by ballyard7
Views: 1025 Posts: 1

2007-06-10 2:50 PM ballyard7

Tulsa Triathlon

Started by Tri-It
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2006-06-12 10:10 AM Tri-It
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.