General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Was it the heat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: Was it the heat?
Hi all.

This past weekend, I did an Olympic (3:19:xx) in the heat. My swim was okay, my bike was pretty conservative but solid, but - as usual - things fell apart on the run. I really don't do well running...add heat and it's worse.

So, here's the set up: 3 to 2 hours before the race, I drank one 16 oz cup of coffee and a bagel with peanut butter. 30 minutes before the swim, I sipped water and had a shot of Hammer Perpetuem (1 scoop, thinned with water). On the bike, I had ~16 oz of HEED (1 scoop in a 24 oz bottle, that I didn't finish), ~4 oz water and one Gu, and about 3-4 Endurolytes. The run was a 2 lap run, and I alternated b/t water and HEED at the 3 water tables. My stomach was bothering me on the second lap, so I really couldn't choke down another gel.

None of that is really "unusual" for me in my training in terms of drinking or food for each individual leg. What was unusual was how my stomach reacted.

By the end of the race, my guts started making noises. After seeing friends through the awards, I packed up the truck for the hour+ drive home, and the guts were rumbling and churning like a volcano. I almost didn't make it home without pulling off the road. I got to the house, ran inside, and just in time, the - well, the bowels opened up and it was ugly.

I did an Oly in June where it was much cooler and did not have this problem. Last September, I did a HIM in the heat - and I did have this same issue - about 2 hours post-race and all h---- breaks loose. Was it the heat that does it to me? My SO thinks I ate too much before the race - but with a 3 hour wait, I needed something of substance. I did the same basic routine in June, and it worked fine (sans the Perpetuem, b/c I didn't have so long a wait).

I'm just wondering if my body reacts to the heat - and I wonder what I can do to prevent this from happening again (short of not racing in the heat, which is hard to predict). Any ideas? Thanks.

2015-08-07 6:40 PM
in reply to: 7rider

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Was it the heat?
Nutrition is very individual but in general, hot humid conditions and high intensity tend to reduce the amount and kinds of nutrition you can tolerate. I haven't been able to tolerate concentrated liquid nutrition such as HEED and Perpeteum in those conditions. Most of my races (including a HIM) are n tropical conditions and I've been successful just using a calorie-free electrolyte drink (Nuun or Hammer Endurolyte Fizz), gu (the thinner kinds like Powerbar go down more easily), and, for HIM only, a dark chocolate bar. For an Oly I would keep things simple--electrolyte drink, water, 1-2 gus on the bike depending on how long it takes you, and maybe a gu on the run. I wouldn't mix gu and sugary liquids during the bike or run--wash the gu down with water or sugar-free electrolyte drink. Err on the side of too little rather than too much nutrition. For an Oly, you're not going to starve to death in three hours if you're short a few hundred calories. The consequences of that would be a lot less dire than overdoing the nutrition and suffering from nausea much of the way and after.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Was it the heat? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ice or Heat?

Started by IronmanB
Views: 896 Posts: 6

2007-01-14 3:32 PM travisvb24

Injury - heat spray vs ice spray

Started by hannahs
Views: 979 Posts: 3

2006-09-04 10:01 AM hannahs

Heat cramps?

Started by Avigayil2006
Views: 780 Posts: 4

2006-07-13 12:10 PM cadreamer

intense heat in ball of foot on run

Started by autumn
Views: 3569 Posts: 10

2006-09-12 12:22 PM gair70.3

Heat

Started by silent
Views: 825 Posts: 4

2005-07-25 8:08 PM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : April 2, 2006
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.