Vermont Sun Triathlon Series
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 22m 6s
Overall Rank = 53/63
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Event warmup:

I just did maybe 5-7 minutes of swimming to warm up and get the blood flowing. I don't really do any kind of warm up other than swimming.
Swim
  • 34m 37s
  • 1448 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went well for the most part. I sighted poorly in one section and crossed the line of buoys into oncoming swimmers! But I corrected that quickly and was back on track. Unfortunately, there were two yellow buoys (one for the sprint turn around and one to signal swimmers to head to shore). When I saw the first yellow buoy, I forgot that there were 2 and I started heading for shore. I also started pushing my pace thinking the swim was basically done and I would sprint to the finish. Wrong! I looked forward to sight to shore, but I saw houses, no beach, and no spectators. Luckily, the water was shallow enough for me to stand. I figured out where I was (way off track) and got heading back in the right direction. I think I hurried trying to make up for my mistake and sighted poorly the last 200-300 meters of the swim. My time was still pretty close to my goal, but it could have been better if I had stayed on course.
What would you do differently?:

Despite seeing that yellow buoy, I should have looked to make sure I was supposed to head to shore. If I had taken the time to look, I would have realized I needed to go to the next yellow buoy. Just poor execution on my part. A couple extra seconds to make sure would have saved me 30-60 seconds on my time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

My left calf cramped in T1! That cost me a little time. I also couldn't find my bike gloves. I wasted another 20-30 seconds looking for them. I must have left them in the car because I never found them. I really prefer to ride with gloves, so I wanted to try to find them if I could. My time of 2:37 was 52nd out of 63.

I couldn't do anything about the cramp. It happened and I had to get rid of it. I don't like to ride without my gloves, but I could have saved some time by not bothering to hunt for them in all of my gear once I realized they weren't in plain sight.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 47s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.18 mile/hr
Comments:

My ride went pretty well. I was anticipating a noticeable drop off in my pace between the first lap and the second lap, but that didn't happen. I think my times were about a minute apart. I think I probably pushed a little too hard on that second loop. My quads and hammies cramped badly on the run and that had to be because of how hard I rode that second loop. On the second lap, as I got towards the end, I got trapped a little behind 2 slower riders. i wanted to pass them, but I was also trying to save my legs for the run. In the end, I became too impatient and really mashed on the pedals to pass them. That didn't help my run, that's for sure!

I probably should have backed off my pace a little more and save my legs for the run. I felt like my bike performance by itself was very good, but given that I needed to run a 10K afterward it was not well paced.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

T2 went very smooth. I think it was about as clean of a transition as I've ever had. I stuck the landing on my flying dismount and jogged into transition. I made the quick change of shoes, helmet off, run visor and race belt on, and I was out onto the run course. My T2 time was good for 30th out of 63.

Nothing really, it went really well.
Run
  • 1h 05m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

About 1/10 to 2/10 into the run it felt like my calves might cramp, so I stopped for 15-20 seconds to stretch them. About 4/10 of a mile in, going up a decent hill, my quads and my right hammy started to cramp all at the same time. I could never go more than a 1/2 mile before I needed to stop and try to knead my muscles to get the cramp out. It took me until the 10K turn around before I took in enough electrolytes and fluid to get the cramps to stop. By then the damage was done. My fastest mile was the last one when I finally felt more comfortable about pushing my pace and worrying less about the cramps coming back.

Take in more fluid and electrolytes on the bike. Also, pace myself better on the bike and make sure I saved enough for the run. I'm also going to start going to a massage therapist once a month to get some of the tightness and knots out of my muscles.
Post race
Warm down:

Got 30 minutes of massage, ate some watermelon and bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bad cramps in my quads and hamstrings. My run was almost 10 minutes slower than my expectations and it was all due to the cramps. As soon as I got the cramp to let go, I started running right at or a little better than my race pace. But having to stop every 0.4-0.5 miles to get cramps out, plus having to nurse my legs through the uphill sections just killed my time.

Event comments:

I was nearly hit by a car on the bike and literally forced off the road on the run. I would have liked to have seen some more volunteers out there to try to help keep the competitors safe. One truck came through towing a trailer and they left my no more than 3 feet of road to run on. I had to go over into the thick weeds on the side of the road to avoid being hit! On the bike, a car came out of a side street and only came to a stop about 2 feet from my bike. Motorists were not very respectful of the competitors and there were many vehicles that moved only a very little to give you space to race.

Last updated: 2015-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:37 | 1448 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 54/63
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: There's one row of buoys. Olympic swimmers swim about 3 full lengths of the buoys plus a little more, then head to shore. The course overlaps the sprint course, but extends beyond the end of the sprint. This set up caused me to make a mistake and end up off course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:37:47 | 28 miles | 17.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/6
Overall: 6/63
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops on the same route around the lake. Very scenic route, a good portion of the ride is along tree lined roads with plenty of shade. Only two hills of significance, but one is pretty steep. The other isn't as steep, but is probably a mile long. My training really paid off when it came to those hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:42 | 06.2 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/6
Overall: 6/63
Performance: Bad
Course: A few harder hills. Out and back loop on the same road as the sprint competitors. Same road as the beginning of the bike course, plenty of shade to run in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-11 6:57 AM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Lake Dunmore Triathlon II
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Dunmore Triathlon II Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Dunmore Triathlon (8/8/10)

Started by bkendall44
Views: 941 Posts: 1

2010-08-09 11:05 AM bkendall44

Started by PTWykes
Views: 1581 Posts: 6

2010-08-10 8:38 PM wsilverthorne

Started by kziemer
Views: 1320 Posts: 3

2010-08-11 12:10 PM kziemer

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series II

Started by emuldoon
Views: 1246 Posts: 6

2005-07-02 1:10 PM emuldoon

Lake Dunmore Tri

Started by mavic34
Views: 1128 Posts: 2

2004-06-28 10:25 PM ihafij
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.