General Discussion Race Reports! » Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Petoskey, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 59s
Overall Rank = 8/29
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

This is one of my favorite races and I stay approximately 400m from the finish line. I woke up around 5:30 and had my usual coffee, rice cakes with almond butter, and a banana. The best part was I even had time to walk back to the condo to clear out the plumbing after setting up transition.
Event warmup:

The water was much warmer this year but I still wanted to get a quick swim in. Maybe 200m before the start of the race.
Swim
  • 23m 38s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think I've swam once in the past month, and it showed. I was 15-20 seconds slower per 100y than what I would expect. Drafting was pretty much impossible with such a small field. My sighting remains an attribute as I watched several faster swimmers come out of the water with the same approximate time due to swimming off course repeatedly.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. This was a late addition, spur of the moment, addition to my race calendar so I didn't really prepare for it (more focused on running).
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Transition is approximately 1/3 of a mile from the swim start, hence the long time. Some people leave shoes at the swim exit but I haven't found it to be necessary.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 21m 19s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

A beautiful bike course through the rolling hills of Petoskey. Be warned, the first mile is a bitch! Make sure your bike is in a granny gear as it's pretty much a steep non-stop climb. I had a standard crank (53/39) and an 11/28 cassette and felt like I was missing a gear. I spent most of the ride home researching compact and mid-compact cranks. I think the mid contact 52/36 is the way to go for a course like this. Many of the hills were rolling, but there were a few descents that ended with a stop sign that didn't have any volunteers so you lost a significant amount of speed before you tackled the next climb.

Mid-Compact crankset, train for more hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Below average change... had to sit down to get my socks on.

Not sure, just wasn't a fast change today.
Run
  • 1h 02m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This run SUCKED! I don't know if I burned too many matches riding hills on the bike, if my nutrition was off, lack of water, etc... all I know was this was the toughest 10k I've ever run and it wasn't the course. I stay nearby and have run this course many times. It was obvious they were short volunteers and could have used at least one, if not two more water stops. It was hot (83) and humid (75%+) by the time I finished and there were people out there a lot longer than I was.

I'm not sure. After looking at my heart rate data the bike seemed to be where I wanted it so I hesitate to blame over biking. I had a bottle of Infinit and a bottle of water on the bike and took a Gu around mile 2 on the run, but just died around mile 4 and ended up walking several times... and I hate walking.
Post race
Warm down:

Pepsi, watermelon, and finding a spot in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run, though it may have been caused by the bike.

Event comments:

The Petoskey triathlon is near and dear to my heart as it was my first ever tri and Petoskey is my favorite place to visit. They were obviously a little short on volunteers this year but did the best with what they had. It's a nice swim followed by a tough bike course (sprint course isn't as bad) and a decent run. This is my first ever age group win so I'm stoked about that. The sail boat trophies were a nice touch compared to the medal you normally receive.

Last updated: 2015-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:38 | 1000 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 7/29
Performance: Below average
2 laps
Suit: Sleeveless Xterra
Course: 2 loop course protected by the break wall. There seemed to be slight chop after you started to make the turn headed east, but nothing of note, especially by Lake Michigan standards
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:21:19 | 25 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 6/29
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful course, decent roads, lots of hills. The course was short by a little over a mile, partially due to a portion of the course being removed b/c of construction. Approximately 2300 ft of climbing! Road conditions were good, and the areas that were rough to the sides were void of traffic so you could get over and ride in the middle of the lane safely.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:03 | 06.2 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 13/29
Performance: Bad
Course: The first 4 miles or so are on the Little Traverse Wheelway. It's a scenic run with a few small hills. Mile 5 is mostly uphill and definitely the worst part of the run. On the bright side, mile 6 is mostly downhill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-17 9:06 AM

User image

Subject: Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Petoskey Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Toefuzz
Views: 1064 Posts: 1

2014-08-18 9:19 AM Toefuzz

Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by leechr12
Views: 728 Posts: 1

2012-08-12 7:51 PM leechr12

Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by kentcart
Views: 1293 Posts: 1

2011-08-14 4:16 PM kentcart

Petoskey Sprint Triathlon

Started by holalyje
Views: 1197 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 4:27 PM holalyje

Petoskey Epic Triathlon

Started by twrussold
Views: 844 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 1:56 PM twrussold
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.