General Discussion Race Reports! » Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 19s
Overall Rank = 191/291
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Have this down at this point. Up at 4:30, smoothie made of banana, peaches and Pom juice, coupled with half a bagel and almond butter. Sip water on drive to race site. Only change I made this time was drinking the beet juice and water about a half hour before the race.
Event warmup:

Got there a bit later than I wanted to. That, coupled with a larger race field than I remember in previous years, made the lines for packet pick-up and body marking longer than I'd anticipated. Resulted in a real quick transition set-up. If the race hadn't gotten off 10 minutes later than scheduled, I'd have been in trouble. But as it was, I was able to get in the water and do a little swimming around to acclimate.
Swim
  • 14m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty disappointed here. What with the swimming I've been doing lately (I'm already well in excess of what I did all last year) and my improved pool times, I expected better than this. Almost makes one think the extra swimming effort makes no difference, although I will say the extra time in the pool has had a positive mental aspect (which I'd hoped for): the swim, despite my poor time, didn't seem like anything more than just another workout. Even better, I was able to keep breathing generally under control. Cool moment: rolling to breathe and seeing a bird floating across the sky just above us.
What would you do differently?:

Honestly not sure. I got delayed and slowed by the crowd at the beginning, and again when the next wave came on just about halfway through, but I'd not think it would make this much difference (2:30 longer than my recent 400m pool time). I can only assume I'm weaving back and forth too much and, therefore, adding distance to my swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Average T1; wetsuit came off pretty easily. Everything else normal.

Would love to figure out a way to cut 20-30 seconds off T1. I don't practice these anymore, but I'm not sure what I'd be able to do differently even if I did.
Bike
  • 54m 7s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I seem to have suddenly seen a change in cycling ability, with roughly similar efforts to last year resulting in faster times. This effort was almost two and a a half minutes faster than last year, which I did not expect, but am quite pleased by. I'm not sure what to attribute this improvement to, other than just ongoing training kicking in. This was a fun ride, but crowded. About halfway through the first loop I fell in with a pack of riders that couldn't really separate from each other, and I stuck with them through the entire second loop since they maintained a solid pace. I hit 30+mph on the big hill, which separated me from the rest of them (thank you to gravity at 205lbs), but as I loosened my shoes and pulled my feet out before the final turn, another gravity-assisted pack member passed me by.

Nothing, this was a solid ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I thought this was fairly quick but it was actually ranked lower than my T1. I jogged out with no walking and don't recall any other wasted movement. Always takes more time to get my running shoes on than I'd prefer, though.

Look into running shoes and ways to get them on quicker.
Run
  • 29m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Pleased with this run. My plan was to to run to the turnaround at a pace between between 9:40 and 9:50, which I was able to do without become overly tired. After that I wanted to run a couple of higher intensity "intervals"; I ran at around 9:00 for four minutes, jogged easy (including a water break during which i walked for 20 seconds), then did three minutes more at about the same pace. After that I played some fartliek games running from one cone to the next, with easy jogging in between, until I got close enough to the end to keep going. Finished under 30 minutes and wasn't totally blown at the end.

Maybe running that second "interval" for four instead of three minutes; it's an unknown, but curious how many seconds that might've saved. What's strange to me is my run times, showing solid improvement over several years ago, are still not much better in relation to the pack than my swims. That just shouldn't be; would love to figure out a way to gain some improvement here.
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight to the lake, walked out into water up to my chin, and dunked myself to cool off. Very nice. Walked around a bit after that and ate some of the goodies (and yes, the spread included frosted donuts with sprinkles plus glazed chocolate doughnut holes; but I only ate the equivalent of half a doughnut).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming, again. And, increasingly, despite improvements, a run that still has me way in the back of the pack.

Event comments:

Really like this race, and DQ deserves a big shout out for their efforts and abilities in bringing these things off safely and enjoyably.

Last updated: 2015-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:10 | 440 yards | 03m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 258/291
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Sleeveless
Course: Straight out and back to and from the beach, looked a little long but that could just be justification for my time. Garmin reflected .27 mile, including the run to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:07 | 17.2 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Overall: 142/291
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loop course through South Jersey semi-rural suburbs. Some rough roads and one significant downhill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:37 | 03.11 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 222/291
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out and back along a well-shaded road bordered by homes on one side and a golf course on the other.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-09-05 9:51 PM

Subject: Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon

Started by kentwest
Views: 850 Posts: 1

2012-09-16 10:03 PM kentwest

Started by otisbrown
Views: 788 Posts: 1

2012-08-28 10:36 AM otisbrown

Started by metfan630
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2011-01-15 12:27 AM metfan630

1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon

Started by gregrueb
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2010-08-30 8:41 AM gregrueb

1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon

Started by WCTri
Views: 1197 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 8:56 PM WCTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.