Williamsburg, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 4h 26m 22s
Overall Rank = 3/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Bagel 2 1/2 hours before race at hotel. Banana 1 1/2 hours before race in car. 1/2 bottle Heed.
Event warmup:

Walked to the beach and checked out the water.
Swim
  • 1h 06m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 03m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a warm swim in the James River. How can I describe the river? It is tidal. Translation, it was crazy choppy with waves! It is brackish. Translation, I swallowed far too much salt water in all the chop. Oh, and it rained. Hard at times. Translation, I couldn't see where the heck I was going! I only saw one buoy on the way back to the finish after turning.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I knew! I felt good during the swim, I just sucked!
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

I think I was most afraid of the run to transition with my foot! I had shoes waiting right out of the water. I was surprised that the run wasn't too bad! The worst part was trying to run in my bike shoes. The rain was pretty much stopped by the time I started the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 46s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The rain pretty much stopped by the time the bike started. I was happy with my bike time as I was about 16 mins faster than last year! All to soon the bike was over and my race was done.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with a cold towel. Had some pizza. Not really tired since I didn't run. I finished third overall in the Aquabike!

Event comments:

This was my second year doing this race. It is well organized with tons of volunteers. I was glad that there was an Aquabike division that I could change to. I was able to wait until packet pickup to change. There was a tent for the Aquabike finish where I was told I would receive my medal. It was a little disappointing when I finished and crossed the timing mat and went to the finishing tent. There was no one there! My husband had to go find a volunteer who did not know what to do, but was very nice and went and got someone else, who got me a medal (it was the wrong one but at least thy tried)!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:06:34 | 2112 yards | 03m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Not wetsuit legal
Course: Slightly different than last year. Still a rectangle. Out about 100 yards, right turn up-river 800 yards, left turn out 100 yards, left turn back down river 800 yards and left turn back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:46 | 58 miles | 17.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Lollipop. Roads were pretty good and clear. There was a bit of traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-14 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Patriots Half
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriots Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Iron (+4 miles)

Started by DMW
Views: 2429 Posts: 12

2007-07-06 11:31 PM wieczynski

Patriot Half Iron

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 2651 Posts: 9

2007-07-05 3:54 PM c2fd

Patriot Half Iron

Started by summer_2005
Views: 2392 Posts: 8

2007-07-03 10:14 AM jpcan

Patriot Half Iron

Started by scottymack
Views: 1936 Posts: 5

2007-07-04 8:06 PM scottymack

Patriot Half Iron

Started by Celeb_ithil
Views: 2859 Posts: 13

2007-07-06 9:31 AM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.