General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 13s
Overall Rank = 158/359
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 15/39
Pre-race routine:

PBJ bagel and water, then a coffee once I reached the Hilton to catch the bus to T1. I had tons of time since the bus left before 6 and my wave didn't start till 9. But I took my time getting set up, visited the port-o-potty before it got crowded, got my tires topped up and sipped on my first bottle of skratch.
Event warmup:

Got in the water before my wave was called just to test the temps. It was nice! mid 70s, so much warmer than the air temps.
Swim
  • 34m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

After wading in, the start is just past the dock. You have to swim against the current to stay behind the starting line. It was strong! Once we started, I found it to be very choppy out there, too. Since my right stroke is stronger, I tend to veer to the left, that kept getting me a bit more into the middle of the channel. The chop was definitely over my head several times, and I took in gulps of water once or twice. As we approached the first turn, it calmed down a lot, and a little ways later was smooth sailing. I felt good. Saw 2 big jellyfish!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, just keep in mind that I tend to drift left, compensate for that. I felt good out there on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

There is a long-ish run through the parking area of the harbor and across the street to T1. I jogged and felt good. Got toweled off a bit, put on socks for the bike ride and ate a few bites of bonk breaker. There was a bit of a traffic jam getting out of T1.

Not much, this was ok.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good, steady and comfortable. Got some speed up on the interstate, but it was windy, then headed straight into a strong headwind on the highway. From miles 20 to 36 or so, headwind. My mph dropped down to the 16s. Sweet relief after that on the little country roads heading back toward the highway, then once we got back on the highway, tailwind! But I couldn't make up what I had lost on the first part.

It would be great to have power to go by in a situation like this. Just to know if I am working hard enough when I can't rely on mph because of wind.
Transition 2
  • 05m 26s
Comments:

At B2B, you hand off your bike to a volunteer. I love that. Jogged in my bike shoes (there are rubber mats) to the bags, they had already found mine and handed it to me. Got changed, went to the bathroom, tied up my bag and headed out. I had grabbed the plastic water bottle off of my bike and forgot to throw it away before leaving T2.

Not bring that bottle of water!
Run
  • 2h 27m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Whew, this was a tough run. First I had to find my run legs after the bike. I had been eating 2 honey stinger chews every 5 miles with water on the bike, added another bite of my bonk breaker after T2. I had a bit of salt at mile 3, but my stomach kind of hurt after that. I decided to not eat anything, and stick to water at the aid stations. After mile 5, my stomach wasn't hurting any more, but I still didn't feel like adding any more nutrition. I think my first gel was right before the turn at mile 7.

My training was so much better this year than last, I really had high hopes for feeling good on the run. So I kept waiting for that to happen, and it never did. I just never had a good feeling in my legs. I went from bike legs to stomach ache to just plain tired and then, at mile 8 or so, knee pain. And it wasn't just a twinge, it really hurt. I walked the aid stations, and would do this thing where I held up my knee for a few seconds to just let my lower leg dangle, that seemed to make my joint happy for a bit. I did it about 10 times during the last few miles. I also distracted myself by telling people good job and smiling at people. At least I looked happy! What can I say, I made it the last few miles back and was glad as hell to be done.

The knee situation is luck of the draw for me. There are times (weeks/months) when it doesn't bother me at all. Then there are times when it does. I am going to do lots of strength this winter to see if that will also help. As to the tiredness on the run, the only explanation I have is that I was tired from the headwind on the bike. Otherwise, I really don't know why I didn't feel good on the run. That was disappointing, because I thought better condition overall would mean that I would have a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my family and got a few pictures made. Headed over to the post-race area for a bite to eat and drink. Also visited the medical tent for some tylenol because I could feel a headache coming on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headwind and knee, mostly.

Event comments:

This is my second time doing B2B half, and I really do enjoy the race. It is well organized and a great venue. We all thought that the new finishing line and post-race area was not as nice as where it used to be on the street. But it was sunny, just lots of construction and dirt nearby. It will be much nicer when there are grassy areas to sit nearby.

Last updated: 2015-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/39
Overall: 120/359
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Point to point, left/right/left turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:13:55 | 56 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/39
Overall: 162/359
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Lollipop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:27:25 | 13.1 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/39
Overall: 187/359
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-19 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2015-10-19 12:20 PM
in reply to: #5147573

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Congrats on your day! Looks like you muscled through the wind very well..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2065 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1683 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2311 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1651 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.