Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-10-20 7:23 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: go nuts with this swimming blog
^ 2 Beats every three "what"? Just curious.

2015-10-20 7:29 PM
in reply to: nc452010

Sarasota, Florida
lol 2 beat kick (one kick per stroke) and I breathe every 3 strokes.
2015-10-21 9:01 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by dmiller5

watch phelps swim, he is a great example of an uneven stroke

Maybe, but that doesn't answer my question -- I don't think all fast swimmers necessarily have uneven strokes, and is there a benefit to working on / forcing one's stroke to be uneven? 

FWIW, I know my stroke is uneven, but it wasn't a matter of using dissimilar paddles to make it that way.  Also, I'm only moderately fast, certainly not Phelps fast, or "grew up as a swimmer" fast, or even "adult onset swimmer who's managed to become swimmer-fast". 

2015-10-21 3:40 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by runtim23

Not only does bilateral breathing feel natural to me, but it's therapeutic to my back pain. When I breathe every 2 it can aggravate it on a bad day but I'm also trying to switch between 2 and 6 beat kicks. I want to see if I can use them for extra speed which I'm sure will make me want to start breathing every 2 strokes but so far I'm a 2 beat every 3 even during the race.

The thumbs first thing. Nope. That hurt my shoulder last time I tried.

I'm curios about how every 3 is better for your back than every 2. is it only one side that bothers you? is every 2 to the right as bad as every 2 to the left?

I had back surgery about 10 years ago and recently had a neck injury. I have spent a ton of time making my breathing better so that it matters little what side I breathe to. My goal is to hve the same stroke whether I'm breathing or not breathing and if my back gets tweaky, I know I've gotten lazy so I go back to breathing drills & skills.
2015-10-21 3:49 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Maybe, but that doesn't answer my question -- I don't think all fast swimmers necessarily have uneven strokes, and is there a benefit to working on / forcing one's stroke to be uneven? 

FWIW, I know my stroke is uneven, but it wasn't a matter of using dissimilar paddles to make it that way.  Also, I'm only moderately fast, certainly not Phelps fast, or "grew up as a swimmer" fast, or even "adult onset swimmer who's managed to become swimmer-fast". 

someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its because you want to minimize time on the breathing side because its slower.

2015-10-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its because you want to minimize time on the breathing side because its slower.

Here's an interesting video where Gary Hall compares hip driven, shoulder driven and hybrid ("uneven") stroke techniques.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b746O3Ltz44

Mark

2015-10-21 5:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by Left Brain

There is not a single piece that guy has ever written that I would take time out of my day to read.....I don't give a rats arse who he's coached.

x2

2015-10-21 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by runtim23

Not only does bilateral breathing feel natural to me, but it's therapeutic to my back pain. When I breathe every 2 it can aggravate it on a bad day but I'm also trying to switch between 2 and 6 beat kicks. I want to see if I can use them for extra speed which I'm sure will make me want to start breathing every 2 strokes but so far I'm a 2 beat every 3 even during the race.

The thumbs first thing. Nope. That hurt my shoulder last time I tried.

I'm curios about how every 3 is better for your back than every 2. is it only one side that bothers you? is every 2 to the right as bad as every 2 to the left?

I had back surgery about 10 years ago and recently had a neck injury. I have spent a ton of time making my breathing better so that it matters little what side I breathe to. My goal is to hve the same stroke whether I'm breathing or not breathing and if my back gets tweaky, I know I've gotten lazy so I go back to breathing drills & skills.

I could probably improve with breathing drills. I have dealt with back pain and sciatica for years and the only diagnosis found was localized/general back pain or something like that. Docs say its due to muscular imbalance. I spend a lot of time behind the computer and just switching the mouse back and forth throughout the day even helps. I'm not sure I can explain why but all I know is I have experienced it. I am an easy swimmer and hope to start adding more muscle and stroke rate soon as well as experiment with 6 beats, so I will try unilateral on both sides or try a 3,2 pattern.

All I know is swimming (with bilateral) has helped my back pain more than anything I've tried.

Edited by runtim23 2015-10-21 5:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » go nuts with this swimming blog Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Blog: Masters Swim Workouts

Started by Goosedog
Views: 1852 Posts: 3

2012-03-20 11:50 AM kloofyroland

Garmin AutoPause going nuts?

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 829 Posts: 5

2011-06-16 6:18 PM YeaJackson

cant train and im going nuts!!!

Started by snaps10
Views: 1184 Posts: 18

2007-04-17 1:11 PM snaps10

time to go nuts.

Started by Torgo
Views: 658 Posts: 4

2004-11-19 1:42 PM CJWonder

taken out of the game by surgery.....going nuts

Started by regaldozer
Views: 727 Posts: 6

2004-04-27 8:46 PM regaldozer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 2, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While nuts are indeed a calorie-dense food, the good news is nut-eaters are not fatter than people who avoid nuts.

date : April 19, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 0
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.