Pacific Sports
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 8s
Overall Rank = 13/203
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Went to sleep late again (couldn't stop watching one of the best MotoGP races ever) and woke up at 5:15am when my alarm woke up. Left the house at 5:50am and got to Rockwall around 6:25am. Got set up on transition by 7:15am with 30 minutes to spare. Put on wetsuit in the hotel after hitting the rest room.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. It was cold and didn't want to swim then get back out in cold air.
Swim
  • 17h 00m
  • 750 meters
  • 2h 16m / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam the first 200m or so to the first turn buoy very well, made the turn and couldn't quite see next buoy and drifted a little farther out with no draft. The last part was bad as I was swimming straight towards the sun and drifted out way too far and swam extra. Probably swam an extra 100 yds at least. Swim course also different as we now swam clockwise, which had us swimming right into the sun coming in.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Also, I haven't really been swimming so this wasn't in great swim shape so glad to just get through this
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

This wasn't a great T2. It was a long way and probably could've have ran a lot faster to T2. I had lots of trouble getting wetsuit off at transition. Also took forever to get my feet in the shoes.

Run faster since it was probably 400m...get wetsuit off quicker.
Bike
  • 32m 3s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off having issues getting my foot in my shoe. Also, had a 11-21 cassette on the wheel and wasn't the best cassette for this course but it was manageable as there weren't any really long hills. Was playing leap frog with one racer (not in my age group) which didn't help. Just seem to have issues with cycling in the cold.

Get my feet in my shoes on quicker, push a little harder - probably was pushing closer to Oly distance
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

T2 wasn't bad except for the slow walk down the incline as I was worried about falling.

Not much. could have gone about 2-3 sec faster putting shoes on.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 20s  min/km
Comments:

Course was easy to get lost on, in fact, had to turn around during first loop of run. Started going hard right before last mile, but probably could've gone harder but just didn't know what to expect from course. Didn't have anyone to race.

Go harder from the start.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing much

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, some mental mistakes. Probably lost about a minute on the swim by not being able to sight - though the black buoys did not help at all. I spent quite a bit of time getting out of my wetsuit as it got stuck on my ankles. Next issue was not getting into my shoes fast enough. It took a while as I couldn't find a good place to put it on. On the bike, I really should have pushed much harder. My average power and normalized power were not close to target. I should have been closer to 245W but was 21W lower at 224W. Finally, I took the first loop of the run (1.5 mi) way too easy. I think at least 3-4 minutes better was doable with better race management So right around a 1:13-1:14 was doable. Not enough to affect AG, but enough to bump me 3 spots on the overall to 8th overall.

Event comments:

Considering this was the US Open, I really expected more. The expo was not impressive. Transition was on a grass lawn with an iffy steep carpeted area (slighly slippery and uneven on bike out, and even trickier on bike in. Bike course didn't include any of John Carpenter and stayed on local roads. Some roads had massive cracks which made it difficult to pass. Coming in, there was also a steep section where the bike path was narrow (marked by cones) and getting pretty close to runners.

Last updated: 2015-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
17:00:00 | 750 meters | 2h 16m / 100meters
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 0/203
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tyr Hurrican Cat 5
Course: 1-loop clockwise
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:32:03 | 10.5 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop - narrow roads with some bad cracks. Lots of elevation changes and turns. Hard to pass in some areas. Very different course than the last time I did this race in 2012.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:38 | 05 kms | 04m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 2/14
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops- had stairs, gravel area, lots of turns, elevation changes. Very different course than last time I did this (given it was an Oly distance) which had elevation changes but no stairs and no gravel!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2015-10-20 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: US Open Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » US Open Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Toyota US Open Triathlon

Started by kriscrn
Views: 1717 Posts: 8

2007-10-18 10:18 AM ricro

Toyota US Open Triathlon

Started by ricro
Views: 1190 Posts: 5

2007-10-15 7:57 PM Gaarryy

Toyota US Open Triathlon

Started by Bill
Views: 2041 Posts: 13

2007-10-21 7:21 AM LaurenSU02

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

Started by Sharkboy
Views: 1938 Posts: 10

2007-10-19 6:30 PM duggar1

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

Started by rzzqb8
Views: 1460 Posts: 4

2007-10-15 10:03 AM Gaarryy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.
date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).