General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 58m 7s
Overall Rank = 71/494
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/57
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and headed down for breakfast at the hotel (HIE on Van Campen puts out the cold breakfast stuff early). Went back to the rear and got dressed and final packing and checklist checking. Off to T1 where my wife and her Dad dropped me. I checked on the bike, dropped special needs bags and T1 bag and then boarded the shuttle to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Walking from the shuttle drop-off point to the swim start
Swim
  • 1h 04m 34s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first mass start with the added element of beginning on the beach. I am not a very strong swimmer so I lined up about mid-back. After the start gun, we all started moving into the water. I noticed several moving way up the beach before getting in the water. The first several hundred yards were an all-out scrum. Lots of folks panicking and moving slow. I was kicked pretty solid in the ribs and someone tried to tear my arm off (MORE ON THIS LATER). After a while it cleared up and I noticed the chop was pretty bad. After a while, I made the first turn and then the second and was at the ladders. I climbed up and looked down at my wrist to check my time. My arm was still there but unfortunately my Garmin 310 XT not. I moved on, got my wetsuit stripped and spent the run to T1 contemplating my plan for finishing the race with no watch.
What would you do differently?:

Not go so tight on the goggle strap. Last year during the half I was kicked in the face and never could get them resealed, so I opted to pull them extra tight. By the end I felt like they were coming through my face to the back of my head.

Find a different watch strategy. Thinking of jut a regular watch for time and leaving GPS already on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 07m 52s
Comments:

I grabbed my bag and bypassed the tent and went straight to my bike. I was pissed about the watch and spent too much time thinking about what I was going to do. Finally pulled it together and got moving and was out.

Not fret over watch
Bike
  • 5h 55m 47s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I got started on the bike and asked one of the volunteers at the first turn what time it was, 8:45, so I knew my baseline for the bike. I figured I could continue this throughout the course to get a rough gauge of how my pacing was but I was more worried about when to eat/drink. I do most of my training on the trainer so I did not have a good feel for my speed based on gearing (no power meter). I started out decently and once on 140 the winds were starting to be noticeable and then when we reached 421 the wind was right in our face. I was struggling a little and really in the blind on how I was progressing both on nutrition and pacing. I stopped at the second aid station to use the bathroom. At mile 50, a guy told me we were 4 hours in so I knew I was pacing decently considering the headwind. I stopped for special needs and nursed a Snickers Bar for about 10 miles, lost my replacement Gatorade bottle (on to the HEED, yeah) on a bump but was loving the tailwind on the way back. By mile 90 I was pretty much ready to be done, but kept the pacing moderate and finished strong over the bridge. When I got in the convention center the time was 2:38 so I knew I had broken 6 hours (sub-goal) and figured I should have decent legs for the run.

Have some means of knowing my heart rate, speed, power, something..... or maybe not.
Transition 2
  • 06m 7s
Comments:

I opted for a full change to my running shorts/shirt, new socks, etc. I also went to the bathroom before heading out.

Run in tri shorts?
Run
  • 3h 43m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I have run a lot over the last year in prepping for the marathon and for a normal run I could probably judge my pace reasonably accurate, but after a swim and a bike I really had no idea. I felt I was starting out rather quickly and so I dialed it down. I was walking every other aid station for the first lap and alternating water and coke. I could not stomach anything solid until I tried some grapes and they tasted great. There were lots of folks walking, including a lot of the half participants, but I stuck to the plan. I made the turnaround and was back to the finish line before I knew it. I asked my father in law what time it was as they were standing pretty close to what would be the mid-point, 4:30. So that would be about a 1:45 first half, probably a little fast but I was feeling ok. For the second lap I started walking every aid station and was still feeling reasonably decent. I knew the second lap was going to be slower and at the turnaround (6 miles to go) I received a time update, 5:30. All it would take to break 11 hours was 10 min miles. Each aid station I walked a little longer, but when I ran between them I felt like I was moving about the same pace as I had been. I skipped the last station and ran to the finish line.

Maybe a little slower on the first lap.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line under 11 hours to beat my stretch goal. Sat down for a few minutes and then met my wife and father-in-law. I was not really feeling like eating so just sat for a while. Took a few pictures and then off to the massage tent while they gathered my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Perhaps not having my watch ended up working out ok because I may have pushed harder on the bike and not had quite as strong a run.

Last updated: 2015-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:34 | 4224 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/57
Overall: 273/494
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: down the channel, left turn, right turn
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
05:55:47 | 112 miles | 18.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/57
Overall: 130/494
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:43:48 | 26.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/57
Overall: 23/494
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-27 7:47 AM

Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2015-10-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: #5149177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Congrats on the sub 11. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try this one out next year, and was hoping to see a full distance race report. I've heard getting around from T1 to race start is a little tricky. How were those logistics, and the bike retrieval after the race?
2015-10-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: TriathletePT

Originally posted by TriathletePT

Congrats on the sub 11. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try this one out next year, and was hoping to see a full distance race report. I've heard getting around from T1 to race start is a little tricky. How were those logistics, and the bike retrieval after the race?

Logistics were not bad at all. We stayed in between T1 & T2 (near Market & College intersection) so on race morning my wife and her dad dropped me off at T1. They then went down to the swim start to grab a parking spot as parking is limited. They have shuttles for the athletes from T1 to the swim start. After the start, they drove back to T1 (around to the other bridge), parked and watched me come out of the water and out on the bike. From there, they let things clear and then grabbed a late breakfast before heading downtown. They parked and hung out at T2 and saw me come in on the bike, out on the run and then several more times with the short out-n-back and two loops. You get a "buddy pass" at check-in, so while I was getting a massage, they collected my bike, transition bags (the race transports T1 bags to T2) and even special needs bags and loaded them up.

If you are by yourself I would stay downtown near T2. They offer shuttles from T2 to T1 on race morning so after the race you could collect all your stuff and walk to the hotel without having to worry about collecting a vehicle.
2015-10-27 7:29 PM
in reply to: #5149177

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day and beating your stretch goal at that. And that was one fast run split!
2015-10-27 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
This race is on my list for next year. You had a good race. I am impressed how well you paced yourself and made your stretch goal without a watch. You had a great run!! I appreciate the hints on where to stay and logistics.

Edited by lake 2015-10-27 8:57 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by halman
Views: 2276 Posts: 3

2013-11-07 5:42 AM HercDriver

Started by trigirl069
Views: 2091 Posts: 2

2010-11-19 9:24 PM [email protected]

Started by triguy71
Views: 2429 Posts: 3

2010-11-18 11:00 AM alltom1

Started by shermantank
Views: 2333 Posts: 4

2011-10-18 9:08 PM Kanedog

Started by anth
Views: 2440 Posts: 3

2011-10-22 9:33 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.