BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-04-11 2:14 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Originally posted by JJ-

Really tough day today. It's the hottest I've ever experienced racing Galveston. I nailed my swim and bike to set me up with my goal of 5h30m and then when I got off the bike my legs locked up and would not release. That run was the hardest thing I've done. It became a matter of just survival. I had major dehydration issues today. I think I didn't drink enough water yesterday and this morning. Lesson learned. I'm not upset even tho I missed my goal because I finished my 5th 70.3 today and that is a goal in itself. Overall I'm pleased. Thanks for posting updates Sean!

Congrats! I'm so happy for completion of the 5th race

2016-04-11 2:31 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Manatees!!!! I made it! I completed half marathon! Whoo hooo!!! ))) Best advice ever I got from you (along with many other) was to walk during drinking at the water stations. It helped me relax and clear my mind. I have to say this, I hate running and I thought long distance running was super boring, but this race was the very first time when I was not bored and I did not have a single thought of “Why am I doing this?????” Which I had at some point at even some fine 5 and 10k’s. I think big part of it was that I really took it easy. I was not racing, I did not set a finish goal, I was just slowly running. I decided I would take some time and enjoy what was around me: fantastic lake and waves, birds, the sun, sculptures in the park. Normally I would count miles beginning from mile 1 (ekhm… yeah&hellip this time I smiled every time I got to the next mile and had not even single thought of stopping or quitting. The weather sucked at the beginning, as it was 20+ degrees and super windy, with some of snow, also – the sidewalk was super icy. But on the bright side: it was very sunny, so at least the spirit was there Race report to come once I’m not this busy at work… ugh… but I wanted to stop by and see how other races did and share my achievement. Adrienne, you’re gonna love this: before we started (and the start was delayed by almost 30 minutes&hellip there are some old guys behind me (like 60-years old) and made a comment: “see, that’s the reason I like 50k much better. There’s only like 50 participants, and not the crazy crowd like this…”

Nice going! Not the easiest weather to dress for either.

2016-04-11 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Manatees!!!! I made it! I completed half marathon! Whoo hooo!!! ))) Best advice ever I got from you (along with many other) was to walk during drinking at the water stations. It helped me relax and clear my mind. I have to say this, I hate running and I thought long distance running was super boring, but this race was the very first time when I was not bored and I did not have a single thought of “Why am I doing this?????” Which I had at some point at even some fine 5 and 10k’s. I think big part of it was that I really took it easy. I was not racing, I did not set a finish goal, I was just slowly running. I decided I would take some time and enjoy what was around me: fantastic lake and waves, birds, the sun, sculptures in the park. Normally I would count miles beginning from mile 1 (ekhm… yeah&hellip this time I smiled every time I got to the next mile and had not even single thought of stopping or quitting. The weather sucked at the beginning, as it was 20+ degrees and super windy, with some of snow, also – the sidewalk was super icy. But on the bright side: it was very sunny, so at least the spirit was there Race report to come once I’m not this busy at work… ugh… but I wanted to stop by and see how other races did and share my achievement. Adrienne, you’re gonna love this: before we started (and the start was delayed by almost 30 minutes&hellip there are some old guys behind me (like 60-years old) and made a comment: “see, that’s the reason I like 50k much better. There’s only like 50 participants, and not the crazy crowd like this…”

Congrats! So glad you had fun with it.  I love the atmosphere of races. One of my favorite sounds is the orchestra of footfalls in an otherwise quiet moment.  You were strong and didn't let the distance, or the weather, beat you.

2016-04-11 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job on conquering your half marathon.  Weather sounds like it was a bit of a challenge.  There is certainly much to take in and enjoy along the way.

2016-04-11 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

Manatees!!!! I made it! I completed half marathon! Whoo hooo!!! )))
Best advice ever I got from you (along with many other) was to walk during drinking at the water stations. It helped me relax and clear my mind.

I have to say this, I hate running and I thought long distance running was super boring, but this race was the very first time when I was not bored and I did not have a single thought of “Why am I doing this?????” Which I had at some point at even some fine 5 and 10k’s. I think big part of it was that I really took it easy. I was not racing, I did not set a finish goal, I was just slowly running. I decided I would take some time and enjoy what was around me: fantastic lake and waves, birds, the sun, sculptures in the park. Normally I would count miles beginning from mile 1 (ekhm… yeah…) this time I smiled every time I got to the next mile and had not even single thought of stopping or quitting.

The weather sucked at the beginning, as it was 20+ degrees and super windy, with some of snow, also – the sidewalk was super icy. But on the bright side: it was very sunny, so at least the spirit was there
Race report to come once I’m not this busy at work… ugh… but I wanted to stop by and see how other races did and share my achievement.

Adrienne, you’re gonna love this: before we started (and the start was delayed by almost 30 minutes…) there are some old guys behind me (like 60-years old) and made a comment: “see, that’s the reason I like 50k much better. There’s only like 50 participants, and not the crazy crowd like this…”

Well done Mary, great job.
2016-04-11 10:18 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by marysia83

Manatees!!!! I made it! I completed half marathon! Whoo hooo!!! )))
Best advice ever I got from you (along with many other) was to walk during drinking at the water stations. It helped me relax and clear my mind.

I have to say this, I hate running and I thought long distance running was super boring, but this race was the very first time when I was not bored and I did not have a single thought of “Why am I doing this?????” Which I had at some point at even some fine 5 and 10k’s. I think big part of it was that I really took it easy. I was not racing, I did not set a finish goal, I was just slowly running. I decided I would take some time and enjoy what was around me: fantastic lake and waves, birds, the sun, sculptures in the park. Normally I would count miles beginning from mile 1 (ekhm… yeah…) this time I smiled every time I got to the next mile and had not even single thought of stopping or quitting.

The weather sucked at the beginning, as it was 20+ degrees and super windy, with some of snow, also – the sidewalk was super icy. But on the bright side: it was very sunny, so at least the spirit was there
Race report to come once I’m not this busy at work… ugh… but I wanted to stop by and see how other races did and share my achievement.

Adrienne, you’re gonna love this: before we started (and the start was delayed by almost 30 minutes…) there are some old guys behind me (like 60-years old) and made a comment: “see, that’s the reason I like 50k much better. There’s only like 50 participants, and not the crazy crowd like this…”

Congratulations! Great job! And we all knew and told you that you could do it!!!!

2016-04-12 12:54 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hey everyone in case you missed it we have moved to

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

thanks Janyne for doing this at the end of page 111
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 865 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.