BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group..."We're back!"

Jason N

Story: Yes...I live in Hawaii.  34 going on 35, always active but never really competitive in anything athletic for most of my early life.  Pickup basketball, weight lifting, softball, flag football, etc.  Put on a lot of weight in my late 20's and decided to give running a try with a marathon as my goal.  Broke every rule in the book, but somehow managed to recover from injury and still run sub 4.  Realized I liked the whole lifestyle of training, but didn't like running that much...so triathlon was the next step.  Did 4 years of triathlon, doing every distance up to IM while also getting involved in some bike racing.  After my IM in 2013, I decided to pursue bike racing for all of 2014 as cycling was what I enjoyed the most and did the same in 2015.  One day I think I'll get back into triathlon for an event here and there, but probably not long term season after season.

Family: Live with my GF who also does triathlons.  No kids, one cat.

Training: I commute to and from work 16 miles each way M-F.  We have terrible traffic problems here and it's way better than driving.  Luckily I have a locker room and shower at work.  In addition to that, I tack on some intervals a couple of times on my commute home, then do longer rides on the weekend.  Usually amounts to around 15-20 hours a week of riding and 230-300 miles.  About 11 hours and 160 miles of that is easy commuting though.

2016: We don't have that much bike racing here in Hawaii, so I do as much as I can.  Handful of time trials and road races, but the main focus will be on a couple of mountain climbs, 40k TT, and a couple of road races that suit my strengths.  This is the first year I'm working with a coach.  I like to think that I have a decent understanding of training, but I'm finding out so far over the last 2 months that coaching keeps me honest.  Results so far have been good.

2015 Season:  Had a pretty good season.  Placed well in some races, not as good as I hoped in a few others. 

Weightloss: Raced most of last year around 160 pounds.  At 5'6", that's way too heavy for a bike racer.  Currently at 156 after the holidays, where I was around 153 a couple weeks ago.  Hoping to race int he mid to low 140's, but anything less than 150 should make life a lot easier than last year...especially on the hill climb races I'm targeting.

What will make me a good mentee?: I've been a part of Randy's group way back when...maybe his first or second group?.  Also respect Jason a lot in terms of his training principles from the main forums.  I'm a power junkie, so I have some insights to offer there, but mainly just want to hang out with the cool kids.

2016-01-04 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-thanks for joining up...this is turning into a star studded group.  Should make it easy for Jason and I as mentors of the group.  I bought a road bike early in the Fall and I could see getting more into cycling in the future...especially since I am getting to be an old man. I am already on the look out for a mountain bike to add to the stable. 

For those of you fairly new to BT we have added some of the most knowledgeable folks that post on BT over the last couple of days.  This promises to be a great group with plenty of experienced people to provide opinions and assistance on pretty much any topic imaginable.   One of the main reasons I am still here on BT is the experience and advice that was shared by some of the early mentor groups I was involved in as a mentee.  

I have not yet made a of list of who we have thus far but we will probably shoot for 15 or so as there is typically some attrition. After we are full we can get into more specifics on how the group will move forward. In general Jason and I are pretty loose and just try to pick up on topics that seem to be of interest to the group but we do try to have a bit of structure to make sure we discuss some of the "foundation" aspects of training, racing etc...  

Edited by slornow 2016-01-04 2:32 PM
2016-01-04 2:36 PM

User image

Don't count me as a "member."  I don't want to take someone's spot as a mentee.  I just plan to pop in here and there if the discussion merits.

2016-01-04 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hi Randy and Jason,

Would like to join up with the group if there's room. Like Jason#2, I don't want to take anyone's spot as I've been in mentor groups before. But I don't expect to require too much maintenance ;-) Just think being in a group and checking in will help me get back on track as I derailed a bit last year. Plus, some UNC hoops needling with Randy is always fun (since can't talk football with him!) Will send bio tonight or tomorrow. Look forward to getting to know everyone!

Happy New Year!!
Stu
2016-01-04 3:59 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey Stu-good to have you in the group.  All are welcome to participate as much or as little as they like. Post a bio when you have time.

2016-01-04 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My name is Marc. This will be my 7th season in tri. I did Sprints and Oly the first year and jumped into mostly HIM since. I think I’ve done about 15. No IMs yet.

I had a really good 2012 season (won a 70.3 event) and a decent 2013 (7th and 4th at 70.3 events). But I overdid it in 2013 and spent 2014 injured and 2015 getting back into it. I finished 2015 ok, with a 5th at Miami 70.3 but I know I could have done much more.

I am hoping 2016 will be a better year. In 2015 I had really good moments in individual events (TTs, solid runs and good swim meets) but I never put together one good race due to lingering leg injuries. I think it’s all behind. I would probably like to race worlds 70.3 in 2017. I have done it 3x and once ITU worlds (Chicago) Olympic distance. I love the qualification process. But I would like to get on the podium of a 70.3 event. As a diabetic, I have nutritional challenges, but I think I may have that figured out now.

I train probably more than average. This year I am swimming masters and that is helping a lot. My bike has been really good for the last few months and I will run focus in a few weeks. I bike test Friday so I’ll let you know how that goes :-).

I am not sure of my race schedule. I am registered for Tremblant 70.3 in June. I may do Galveston 70.3 or I would do a bike TT, half marathon and masters swimming provincials champs all in April. Today I am leaning towards Galveston, but was leaning to the HM yesterday. I have clear individual sport goals for the HM, 20min TT and 1500m swim. If I hit them I will move to IM. They are all very reasonable goals.

Weight loss is a tough subject. I run much better 7 lbs lighter, but I bike better 7 lbs heavier. I am currently at 175, I will probably end up at 170. I used to be 65 lbs heavier so I know what it’s like to lose that type of weight

I know several of the members. I met Jason (mentor) at Tremblant in 2013. I was in a group with Randy. I know they are experienced, pragmatic and especially good guys. I met Nicole at Galveston and Tremblant worlds. I have been in a group with Scott and Jason N.

I am a bit of a techno geek and love to experiment with things on myself. I have tried lots of stuff. I have done lots of aero testing on road, tunnel and velodrome. I may be able to help here/

I am really happy this group is coming together. There are parts of BT I love and others I hate. The mentor groups are great for helping each other out. I do spend some time on ST as well.

The one unique thing I can bring to this group is how to swear in French on the trainer.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-04 5:21 PM

2016-01-04 5:19 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Got room for another? While I'm not Canadian I am married to one. Need some sense of accountability this winter and I know you guys are just the ones to keep me straight. I'll post a bio after I get home tonight.
2016-01-04 6:20 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket Got room for another? While I'm not Canadian I am married to one. Need some sense of accountability this winter and I know you guys are just the ones to keep me straight. I'll post a bio after I get home tonight.

Kevin-glad to have you. I  think we my have been in a group together in the past.

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-I am hoping to qualify for 70.3 WC in Chattanooga in 2017. Fortunately, I will age up in 2017 so will get to race part of the year at  54 to qualify in the 55-59AG.  Will probably try to do it in an early season race...either Galveston or New Orleans.  I suspect competition will be strong with the event being in such a popular US location.   

Edited by slornow 2016-01-04 6:24 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket Got room for another? While I'm not Canadian I am married to one. Need some sense of accountability this winter and I know you guys are just the ones to keep me straight. I'll post a bio after I get home tonight.

Kevin-glad to have you. I  think we my have been in a group together in the past.

2016-01-04 7:29 PM

User image

Oakville

Name:  Scott 71/Scott.  Living in Southern Ontario.  

Story: I was never really out of shape but as I was approaching 40 I realized that the extent of my exercise each day was a 10 minute walk from the train station to work.  So I did my first “Try-a-Tri” two weeks before my 40th birthday and have been hooked ever since.  I will be turning 45 this year and so will be moving up to the M45 - 49 age group. 

Family: Married for 11 years with two kids - 6 year old daughter and 8 year old son.  My wife also does a few tri races each year and both our kids will do at least one kids-tri each summer and a few 1km fun races.

Training: Although I train almost every day of the week, between work and family my training load caps out at about 7 hours a week. I’m looking at a late season HIM this year and so will have to find time to get the extra training in. I’d say 95% of my biking is on the trainer with a power meter and Golden Cheetah, and 75% of running is on a treadmill in the basement with a long outdoor run every Sunday. I’m pretty happy with where I’m at for the bike and the run, but swimming definitely is a weakness and needs improvement.

2015 Season:  7 sprints and 1 olympic (my first).  Also did several 5km and 10km running races with 1 HM to end the season. Had a really good year and overall have made steady gains each year. Highlights for 2015 – I managed the OA win for one of the sprints and won the Season Series AG Award with a local tri series in Southern Ontario.

2016 Season: I’m still in the process of figuring out my race schedule for 2016, but so far looks like it will be 4 or 5 sprints throughout the summer, an Olympic, a “long course” tri in June (2km/55km/15km) and possibly a HIM in September - looking at Barrelman in Niagara Falls.

Weightloss: Weight has never really been an issue for me.  I’m 6’1” and typically never get above 170 lbs in the off-season.  Ideal race weight is about 165 lbs.

I do post occasionally on Triathlon Talk, but find the responses a little hit and miss.  I recognize quite a few of the names in this group already and respect what everyone has posted in the past.  Looking forward to the discussion!

2016-01-04 7:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Nicole. Welcome to the group. Great to have you

I was worried we were seeing some sort of Canadian invasion.

Nothing wrong with all of us folks from up North. As a guy from Michigan I almost consider myself an honorary Canadian...... Almost.

Wow. A great group. I'm hoping to learn a lot from all of you and to have some stuff worth sharing as well.

Randy, it is almost time to put together a name list..........

Today's training:

Got up early and swam. Wasn't happy to do it but when I was done I felt so great that I wondered why I haven't been swimming every morning:

400 swim
12 x 50 with fins as 25 drill/form work and 25 harder swim
200 swim
20 x 25 with ankle band on :10 rest. (Really trying to incorporate at least one set with the band every week. It really accentuates 'holes' in my stroke and forces me to up my tempo)
200 hard with band a pull buoy
20 x 25 with hand paddles on :10 rest
200 hard with paddles and pull buoy
4 x 50 easy cool down.

Felt pretty good in the water considering how little I have been swimming the last couple weeks.

Evening, one hour on the trainer at 150-160 watts varying the cadence from high 50s to low 100s and everywhere in between. I was told not to work too hard as tomorrow's trainer session will be more intense.....

Good to be back training after the last few days of pretty easy.

2016-01-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Name list

Randy / slornow

Jason / wannabefaster

Quincy / QuincyF

Mike / senatorclaydavis

Ben / bcagle25

Ed / eea123

Marc / marcag

Scott / scott71

Nicole / ligersandtions

Jason / Jason_N

Stu / juneapple

Kevin / goldensprocket

I think we have room for a few more........

Feel free to make corrections if I butchered your name in any way.

I already have so many questions for so many of you. I'll wait. The season is long ;-)
2016-01-04 8:04 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I have put together a list and will try to post tomorrow.

Nice job on the swimming today! 

2016-01-05 4:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Monday was a 3x7min@110% which was hard. That and a short run

Tuesday is masters at 6AM and a 45min run later in the day.

2016-01-05 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Name: JuneApple / Stu

Background:
Age 56. High school swimmer, biked a bunch in college, but never a runner. After leading a fairly sedentary lifestyle during my 30s and early 40s, I found myself at mid-life under a bunch of stress and 50 lbs overweight. So I decided to change some priorities, starting with health and fitness. I started running a bit (I was really slow) and worked my way up to a half-marathon and my first triathlon (sprint) 8 or 9 years ago, and got hooked on triathlons. Had 4 or 5 solid middle of the pack seasons during late 40s – early 50s. Training has definitely taken a back seat the last two years as work and travel ramped up. In fact, pretty much took the Fall off entirely last year. Starting to feel like a repeat performance of my early 40s. Weight is also highest since mid-40s. What’s new is that my BP is up at levels that need to be addressed.

Family Status: Married for 33 years. Empty nest now, and college tuition payments are in the rear view mirror (yay!). My wife is supportive of my tri habits, while not understanding its appeal.

Current Training: After taking the Fall off, really just trying to re-establish the rhythm of training again right now. Consistency is the key and that is what has been lacking the last two years. A January of 5-6 days of training / week is my short term goal. Less concerned about the content of the workouts.

2015 Races: One early season sprint. None in 2014 (which was a more run-focused year).

2016 Races: Not sure yet. Just pulled out the calendar yesterday and marked a bunch of races / dates. Try to run the Charlottesville 10 miler in March every year. If I can get my weight down and mileage up by then, that would probably be my next race, but definitely want to get back into racing triathlons this year.

Weight Loss: Yes. 224 on the scale this morning. Race weight is 190. That’s a big gap. I’m a stress eater.

Fun Fact: My other passion is playing traditional Irish music. A very sedentary, but fun, activity.

Looking forward to being part of the group. Based on the bios so far, I doubt I’ll have much to add, but hope to get swept up in the enthusiasm! It also seemed like we needed another person from the BBQ region. Guess I won’t be able to complain much about the cold in this group! (we did finally get our first blast of winter this week after an incredibly mild December) Thanks and nice to meet y’alll!

Stu

P.S. In my photo, my 83 year old father-in-law is on the right. Still running 10Ks. A good long-term goal!

Edited by juneapple 2016-01-05 10:28 AM

2016-01-05 7:18 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Jason and Randy - I have lurked in this group since you guys started it a few years ago, so I suppose now is as a good a time as any to come out of the shadows. However like other's have said, I don't want to bump a spot for someone who could better use your mentoring. If there is space I will post a bio this evening.

2016-01-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by TankBoy

Jason and Randy - I have lurked in this group since you guys started it a few years ago, so I suppose now is as a good a time as any to come out of the shadows. However like other's have said, I don't want to bump a spot for someone who could better use your mentoring. If there is space I will post a bio this evening.

Rusty-glad to have you join.  Great to have so many familiar faces in the group.

I have kept up with Rusty for many years here on BT and we got to meet briefly at AG Nats in Milwaukee a couple of years ago.  He writes the best race reports! I have been trying to get him down here to a race on the Gulf Coast for the last couple of years. But, that invitation has been revoked now that we are in the same AG.  

2016-01-05 8:22 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by marcag Monday was a 3x7min@110% which was hard. That and a short run Tuesday is masters at 6AM and a 45min run later in the day.

I did a 12 x 2min @ 114% last night and am slowly building to longer intervals. 

Marc - in the Polarized Training thread you passed along the link to Seiler's presentation where he indicates that 4 x 8 min @ 110% was the target for best results, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.  Even 3 x 8 min @ 110% would kill me at this stage.

2016-01-05 8:28 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Easy run for me this morning on the treadmill and some time on the bike/trainer this evening.  I am doing a modified "Barry P" running plan over the Winter.  5-6 runs a week....all easy in HR Z2.  Right now I am moving up to about 24-25 miles a week but hope to get up to about 30 mpw by mid Feb.  I have had a tendency to have run related issues when I try to ramp up mileage/intensity for Winter HM efforts. So, this is the Winter of Easy Running.  Race season begins down here in early April so I will gradually add in some interval work beginning in mid-late Feb.

I am sure that many here know of the "Barry P" plan.  Basically pick a time or distance...say 20 minutes...then you run that amount of time 3X a week; 40 minutes 2X a week and 60 minutes once a week.  Great way to build run volume and increase the body's ability to adapt to the physical impact of running.  Of course, with someone just starting out the selected interval would be much less.

Stu-tough loss for UVA last night in their rivalry match up with Va. Tech.  ACC is strong at the top again this year.

Jason A.-you haven't forgot about the game yet have you?  38-0.......hey, cut it was closer than the score indicated.       

2016-01-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

Originally posted by marcag Monday was a 3x7min@110% which was hard. That and a short run Tuesday is masters at 6AM and a 45min run later in the day.

I did a 12 x 2min @ 114% last night and am slowly building to longer intervals. 

Marc - in the Polarized Training thread you passed along the link to Seiler's presentation where he indicates that 4 x 8 min @ 110% was the target for best results, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.  Even 3 x 8 min @ 110% would kill me at this stage.

Ya, that study with 4x8 was not prescribed at 110% but rather what the candidates could do. You need to build to it. For me, if I slowly build to it and am ready tu suffer that's 4x8 at 110%. Last week I did 10x30sec at 120, then 4x6 at 110 and I found that really tough. This week I will do 4x7, next week probably 3x8 and give 4x8 a try. I will see. I am testing at the end of this week and next week I am starting some track work.

Other than short intervals, like 30" I am not a big fan of greater than 110%.

2016-01-05 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Originally posted by juneapple

Current Training: After taking the Fall off, really just trying to re-establish the rhythm of training again right now. Consistency is the key and that is what has been lacking the last two years. A January of 5-6 days of training / week is my short term goal. Less concerned about the content of the workouts.

Stu, I am the exact same boat. I need to get back to training consistently, it hardly matters what I do, but I need to do something almost every day. Are you winging it or following some sort of plan? I work well with a training plan put up on the family calendar (hubby does too) but haven't figured out what to start out with. Maybe a sprint plan to get me going and in shape for the beginning of the season with extra running to prep for the April HM I am targeting.

I need to get serious quickly. Every race out here was named by Chuck Norris...ToughMan, Tri the Torture. WTF? Good news is we are thinking we might be pleasantly surprised when we race the HM...I think it's close to 1000' lower than my house.

So my goals for today are a trainer ride (with some sort of interval set to see where I'm even at per your guys earlier conversation) and about a 1200-1500 swim at a new pool. The pool I've been using is like the one from cocoon...it must be about 85 degrees and I'm gassed just trying to warm up. Last goal is to get a training plan of some sort on the Calendar.

Cheers,
Quincy
2016-01-05 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by quincyf

So my goals for today are a trainer ride (with some sort of interval set to see where I'm even at

I don't know about others, but I find 30sec intervals the best way to get back into it after a while off the bike. Then I slowly build them week after week. Anything longer than 30sec is too much of a shock for me if I've been away too long.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-05 9:39 AM
2016-01-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-at some point when you have a few minutes I would like your thoughts on Heart Rate Variability.  I have the ithlete app and plan to get a bluetooth compatible HR strap.  Do you use a strap or the finger monitor?

Thanks

2016-01-05 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I would like to join your group!

NAME: Brian Miller

STORY: I have always been more into action sports as in wakeboarding, snowboarding, and motocross. However at 44 these are not the easiest sports on the body. I have had 5 knee surgeries including both ACL's from these sports. In 2012 I did a couple of Olympics and in 2013 I did IM 70.3 Oceanside. I really enjoyed that distance and was happy with my results. Literally the following week I tweaked my knee and it has been downhill since. I keep starting up again with good intentions only to re-injure my knee enough to make me stop. Most of this has been self inflected by wakeboarding. Time to retire that sport. I still race and ride quite a bit of motocross so that takes up about a dozen weekends or so. I also enjoy Mountain biking so trying to figure out if this can substitute some of my biking.

I live just outside of Sacramento so a great place for the outdoors. Sorry to all the Canadians.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two girls (12 and 8), spend a lot of time with kids soccer. I have coached the last 5 years and my oldest plays nearly all year.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last few months of 2015 been working my way back to the gym, but have not been very good with nutrition. I just started one of the BT 20 week plans, same one I used in 2013. So it will be 3x bike, 3x run, 3x swim. I really am not a big fan of swimming. I think I would be better off swimming 2x and running 4x since that is my weakest. I need to focus on slowly working my way back into running to stay injury free,

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: The 20 week plan fits perfectly with a local race, Auburn Worlds Toughest Triathlon. I figure I can wait to see how the training goes and decide if I want to do the Olympic or Half. I am signed up for IM 70.3 Santa Cruz in September. I will probably look into another Olympic in between.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 20 lbs (190) heavier than I was in 2013 for the half. Ideally I would like to get to 160 by Santa Cruz.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55672 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.