BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-01-06 11:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, California
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open

Hey Janet ( forgot how to use the quote function)

I use Look cleats and had an issue with knee pain while training this fall. I completed the Tour De Pink this year - 3 days - 200 miles so I needed help before I started the event. My fitter had me switch to the grey 4.5 cleats which allow for more float and are not as stiff. That definitely took care of my knee problem. Previously I had 0 float cleats - I think they were red.

You are right about the screws. There is some play in where your foot will clip in depending on where you place the cleat on your shoe. That  can all be adjusted forward and back. You may want to look up/talk to a fitter about where your cleat should rest on the bottom of your shoe >>> where the most force will be transferred from your foot to the pedal. 

Hope this helps a bit. - Good luck.

Tara

Edited by MamacitaT 2016-01-06 11:49 PM

2016-01-06 11:58 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Wow!  You've all been busy.

Janet - Glad you're back and I'm really curious about your HIM.  I looked up the course maps for Ohio but they don't show any elevation maps.  Do you know if the bike and run routes are fairly level?  I know nothing about "Fit" and peddles but I can definitely relate to how quickly knee issues can develop without a proper fit.

Kathy - Welcome back and congrats on your first Tri.  In our area we won't have our first Tri until May 1st and it is a pool swim.  I won't get to swim outside until mid May.  

James - I hope your tendonitis is not too serious and you'll be able to work around it.  Like you, I have been struggling with my run fitness and getting off the bike and running is really hard for me so I like to run (20 - 30 min) off the bike as often as I can.

Tara - Welcome to the group.  

2016-01-07 9:19 AM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by MamacitaT

Hi Steve and Scott

I would like to join your group if you will allow.

Hi Tara:

I'll join Scott in welcoming you to our forum. Let us know how we can help. We have a great group of participants so I'm sure you'll get great input and feedback.

Happy Training!

Steve
2016-01-07 11:00 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Wow!  You've all been busy.

Janet - Glad you're back and I'm really curious about your HIM.  I looked up the course maps for Ohio but they don't show any elevation maps.  Do you know if the bike and run routes are fairly level? 

Bike route is supposed to be fairly flat.  Here and here are 2 elevation maps that were posted on the IM70.3 Ohio facebook page by 2 of the participants.  Seems pretty flat to me.  The run route has been described as gently rolling hills but I haven't been able to find an actual elevation map of that yet.  Hopefully they can get one up (or somebody can do one like they did for the bike route) so I'll know what to expect.

Janet

2016-01-07 10:38 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Janet - Ohio definitely looks to be a decently flat bike.  I think if I hallucinate a bit the graphs suggest that from Mile 25 (or thereabouts) to the finish is downhill.  I'd love to ride a route like that.  Even better if it is scenic.  What is the weather like in Ohio in late August?

All - I went to my Cycling group again tonight and I'm feeling really good right now.  Tonight was mainly aerobic Zn 3 and some Zn 2.  I was pleased to keep up and was working hard but I was astonished to realize instead of sweating one drop at a time I was sweating 4, 5, 6 and more drops at a time.  I think I lost about 4 lbs in the hour and my t-shirt was several pounds heavier too.

My swim and cycling groups make it easy for me to be motivated and keep at it but I'm having trouble with my running.  I find it really hard to get on the treadmill and run.  Even 30 minutes feels interminable.  Maybe I can get running again as soon as the sidewalks and roads clear up a bit. 

2016-01-08 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Janet - Ohio definitely looks to be a decently flat bike.  I think if I hallucinate a bit the graphs suggest that from Mile 25 (or thereabouts) to the finish is downhill.  I'd love to ride a route like that.  Even better if it is scenic.  What is the weather like in Ohio in late August?

All - I went to my Cycling group again tonight and I'm feeling really good right now.  Tonight was mainly aerobic Zn 3 and some Zn 2.  I was pleased to keep up and was working hard but I was astonished to realize instead of sweating one drop at a time I was sweating 4, 5, 6 and more drops at a time.  I think I lost about 4 lbs in the hour and my t-shirt was several pounds heavier too.

My swim and cycling groups make it easy for me to be motivated and keep at it but I'm having trouble with my running.  I find it really hard to get on the treadmill and run.  Even 30 minutes feels interminable.  Maybe I can get running again as soon as the sidewalks and roads clear up a bit. 

George - I really don't have any idea what the weather will be like.  I have relatives in Ohio but they live farther north and it's always been mid-summer when we've been out there.  I'm hoping that it won't be really hot like we sometimes get here in late August.  

I'm having trouble getting motivated to run also.  You'd think that since I'm just doing short distances it would be easier, but I just really hate running on the TM.  I'm hoping that the trails have finally dried up enough that I can get back out on them soon.  With all the rain/flooding we had last week, most everywhere I run trails was closed or just too muddy to run.  I have to hit the TM tonight though - skipped my run Wednesday and we're driving to KC tomorrow to help our son buy his first car so the weekend may be a wash on training.  

Have a good weekend everyone!
Janet

2016-01-08 4:42 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Turning the Dreadmill into Valuable Training Time

. . . but I'm having trouble with my running.  I find it really hard to get on the treadmill and run.  Even 30 minutes feels interminable.  Maybe I can get running again as soon as the sidewalks and roads clear up a bit. 

Hey George,

When we lived back east I learned to really enjoy running outdoors in the cold and snow. That said, there were still times, like when the wind chill dipped to double digits below zero, that I would resign myself to running indoors.  Like you, I despise the dreadmill treadmill.  I found breaking the time up with an interval workout, or maybe even a hill workout would reduce the monotony and could turn a dreaded experience into a valuable training opportunity that would build strength.

There are two types of strength runs - hill intervals and sustained hill climbs.

Hill intervals develop your body's ability to clear lactic acid, increase aerobic function and VO2 Max, and improve muscular and cardiovascular strength.

Sustained hill climbs are effective because they relentlessly stress your muscles.  This type of hill workout challenges the body, mind and spirit and teaches you that comfort is a relative term for an endurance athlete.

Here are a couple workouts that I used during the winter (actually continue to use because it is easier to control the hill on a treadmill than in the real world).

I wouldn't suggest doing more than one hill workout per week.  Be aware!  These workouts can kill you or make you wish it had!

Hill Intervals

Pace:  Interval pace ~ 15-30 seconds per mile slower than 10K pace.  Warm-up 15-30 seconds per mile slower than interval pace.  In the following workout, keep interval pace constant, using the incline to raise and lower effort and HR.

Warm-Up:  4-minutes

4 min. warm-up incline (0% grade) at 10K pace + 30-60 seconds per mile

Intervals:  18-minutes - 10K pace + 15-30 seconds per mile

3 min. incline (3% grade)
3 min. recovery (1% grade)
3 min. incline (5% grade)
3 min. incline (7% grade)

Cool-Down:  5-minutes

5 min. cool-down (0% grade) at 10K pace + 30-60 seconds per mile

***** Doing the interval section once gives you a 27 minute workout, repeating the interval section twice gives you a 45 minute workout *****

Sustained Hill Climb

PACE:  Interval pace ~ Marathon pace + 0-15 seconds/mile depending upon your ability.  Throughout this workout pace remains constant and the incline increases for the duration of the workout, from 3 percent to 7 percent.

Warm-Up:  10 MINUTES

10 min. warm-up (1% grade) at Marathon pace + 60 seconds/mile

Intervals:  21 MINUTES - Marathon pace + 0-15 seconds per mile

3 min. incline (4% grade)
3 min. incline (6% grade)
3 min. incline (7% grade)

Cool-down:  10 MINUTES

10 min. cool down (1% grade) at Marathon pace + 60 seconds/mile

***** Total workout time is 41 minutes including 21 minutes of intense strength focus.
If the effort becomes too much, reduce the pace while maintaining the incline *****

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2016-01-08 4:56 PM
2016-01-08 7:57 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Turning the Dreadmill into Valuable Training Time
Originally posted by k9car363

. . . but I'm having trouble with my running.  I find it really hard to get on the treadmill and run.  Even 30 minutes feels interminable.  Maybe I can get running again as soon as the sidewalks and roads clear up a bit. 

Hey George,

When we lived back east I learned to really enjoy running outdoors in the cold and snow. That said, there were still times, like when the wind chill dipped to double digits below zero, that I would resign myself to running indoors. 

Hope that helps.

Hey George:

I totally agree with Scott. I much prefer outdoor running...even in winter. I'll run down to about 8-10 degrees. Much below that and it's not very fun. But the new synthetic materials, base layers and coats have really improved the outdoor running experience.

With regard to treadmill training, I really try to have a plan--similar to what Scott suggested--to maximize the run. Just putting in 45 minutes is fine, but it's god awful boring. Once I start dialing into various paces and incline percentages for intervals it completely changes the workout.

Have fun. We're up to the low 30's, so my long run tomorrow should be a lot more fun than last week at 15!

Steve
2016-01-09 5:22 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
I used to run outside in the single digits but gave that up last year. I guess I am turning into a wimp as I get older. We just had record snow up here in Boston last year so running outside was too dangerous. I probably picked the worst winter ever to run an early May marathon. My long run on Saturdays last year on the treadmill were brutal and you can only watch just so much college basketball. I spent hours on the treadmill and the interval training that Scott and Steve suggested is definitely the way to go. Another thing I did to make it safer running in the snow was I found a state park near my house that had a 2.5 mile (5 miles out and back) main road that was well cleared and had very little traffic plus it was quite pretty. I would do repeats on this road which had one really long steep hill and actually did my 18 mile run on it. When I hit that starting line on race day I knew I was ready. Challenge yourself, drink lots of water and be careful out there.

Edited by JREDFLY 2016-01-09 11:07 AM
2016-01-11 12:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

The only thing I almost don't mind doing on the treadmill is intervals but just now I completely forgot about doing intervals.  I had it in my mind that I needed to just start running again to get back into the habit but I think you're all right that I need to use interval training to make it tolerable.

I actually like intervals so strange I never thought of doing them.  I don't usually run hills on the TM because I have a good hill run right out my door but just this year we've had a lot of ice so running outside is not an option yet.  I think I'll start running intervals tomorrow and even when I can run outside I'll keep running intervals at least one day a week.

Scott - your two runs look daunting so I will need to do a bit of running before I try them but I will try them PDQ.  They present a challenge which may get me going again.  Thanks.

James - Your description of a safe place to run reminded me of a local place that is well plowed, very quiet - especially in winter - and with lots of hills.  I'm going to check it out and make use of it as well.

Other than that, today was my "recovery" day and I did absolutely nothing strenuous.  I even slept in until 7:00am.  It felt great.

2016-01-11 1:28 PM

User image

Regular

The only thing I almost don't mind doing on the treadmill is intervals but just now I completely forgot about doing intervals.  I had it in my mind that I needed to just start running again to get back into the habit but I think you're all right that I need to use interval training to make it tolerable.

I actually like intervals so strange I never thought of doing them.  .

Hey George:

Just be careful with the intervals. It's very easy to push too hard and end up with a pulled muscle or tweaked knee. What ever intervals you run, a very good rule of thumb is to run a pace that allows you to fully complete the workout with the final interval at the same pace as the first. If you can't do that, slow down.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of actually running the intervals because they hurt. On the other hand, it's about the only way to get faster. Definitely love/hate!

Best,

Steve

2016-01-11 4:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

I actually like intervals so strange I never thought of doing them.  .

Hey George: Just be careful with the intervals. It's very easy to push too hard and end up with a pulled muscle or tweaked knee. What ever intervals you run, a very good rule of thumb is to run a pace that allows you to fully complete the workout with the final interval at the same pace as the first. If you can't do that, slow down. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of actually running the intervals because they hurt. On the other hand, it's about the only way to get faster. Definitely love/hate! Best, Steve

What Steve said X 2!

When you are doing intervals, especially with incline, it is VERY easy to overestimate what you are capable of.  Better to start out conservatively and build then start out going for gold and blowing up.

Better on the body, better on the ego.

2016-01-12 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Surprises and inspiration can come in many forms
Surprises are nice things.

I was lucky to get a couple recently. I got a nice one over the holidays when my wife threw a surprise party to celebrate my 60th birthday. Even though in the USA Triathlon world I've been officially 60 since January 1 of 2015, based on my birth certificate I didn't actually enter my 6th decade of life until December 29th. I had insisted I didn't want a party but my wife put one together anyway. That was a nice surprise.

I got another nice surprise in my email last night. USA Triathlon informed me via email that I had earned an invitation to compete in the Olympic distance Age Group Nationals in Omaha. It was a wonderful, totally unexpected surprise.

It turns out that the only race I did in 2015 last September did the trick. I was very slow--still in recovery from the collar bone surgery--but fortunately just fast enough in a slow field to win my age group, earning the invite. I had no idea. The crazy thing is for the last few months I've been trying to figure out how I could get a strong race completed this Spring with a finish high enough to get a late invite to Omaha.

So, please pardon this humble brag post. I just wanted to share that I am newly inspired this morning. Ever since my crash I've really had difficulty getting my head right...getting the right mindset to get back to high intensity training. But I have a new training goal today based the certainty that I have a great reason to be ready to race strong later this summer. For me, that's a very happy thing.

Hope you're all doing well.

Steve
2016-01-12 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Surprises and inspiration can come in many forms

Steve - Congratulations on the invite!  And Happy Belated Birthday!

2016-01-12 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I think we should have more of these "humble brag posts".  I liked reading about it too.

Happy birthday Steve and kudos to your wife for not listening to you and going ahead with the party.  And, How cool to qualify for the Olympic Age Group Nationals.  Even more amazing that you were actively trying to get invited.  

2016-01-13 5:54 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

I got another nice surprise in my email last night. USA Triathlon informed me via email that I had earned an invitation to compete in the Olympic distance Age Group Nationals in Omaha. It was a wonderful, totally unexpected surprise.

Steve

Congratulations Steve.  I suppose this means the break is over and it's time to get back to some serious work!

2016-01-13 6:07 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Congrats Steve on the invite to Nationals and Happy 60th!!!
2016-01-14 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi all ... I am a 59 year old "graying" athlete and would like to join the group.  I very much agree with Steve's opener in that for me  the "times get slower, the legs often feel heavier, weight inevitably creeps up and recovery times are longer."

NAME: Dorm57 (BT screen name) / Tony

STORY: I'm a 59 year old athlete who began the triathlon journey 5-6 years ago.  I sort of backed into triathlons via cycling.  I started cycling several years back mainly to help with weight loss and overall health improvement. One of my daughters married into a family who were big into cycling, albeit it was mainly mountain biking at the time.  Another son-in-law cycles as well and overall I decided to join the crowd; bought both mountain and road bikes and have been hooked on cycling ever since.  For me, I've competed in 15 or so triathlon, duathlon events; have been a long time participant in the BT forums and processes and enjoyed participation with some lively groups in the past. 

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 39 years with three daughters,3 sons-in-law and 4 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING: I recently started back training for the season ... typically 5-6 hours per week for all 3 disciplines.  Mostly, this is inside via trainers and dreadmills during the winter months.  I just had some work done on my road-ride and look forward to getting her set up on the trainer today.  Swimming and cycling are the preferred sports for me.  I do have to state ... I do loathe running, and so any help or encouragement with this is much appreciated.  The gym I go to includes group classes for stretching, pilates, pliyo, et al and I participate with these as well.  The stretching regimen seems to work well for me ... I'm not as sore and just helps keep me loose .

2016 PLANNED RACES: Azalea Sprint Tri, White Lake Oly, Mountains of Misery - Virginia (100 mile cycling event), "The Artie" 100k cycling event, Beach to Battleship HIM

WEIGHTLOSS - HEALTH:  These events have helped me with some weight loss, but moreso with overall health.  Still - I struggle with weight.  At 6'-1" and 250lbs, I'm one of these people who has trained like crazy; eats <2,000 calories per day, and loses 0, ZERO, nada weight.  I've been reading a lot about this over the past year; have some ideas which seem to work and plan to improve on this is 2016.  It is a long, testing journey.

IN GENERAL: I've been a BT participant for many years now and have participated in several mentored groups.  I like what I see here with the experience levels of Scott and Steve and other group members, and can benefit particularly given the general group encouragement, experiences, training tips, and other.

2016-01-14 10:07 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Expert
Missouri

Tony - welcome to the group!

It's definitely January - for more reasons than one.  I went to the campus gym yesterday for my lunchtime workout.  Usually there are 2 of us in there (sometimes there are a couple of others who show up occasionally but normally it's just me and Ken) - yesterday there were 10 people in there.  And the pool this morning was full (for us anyway) - 6 people for the 3 lanes.  Most Thursdays I get a lane to myself.  This isn't a complaint at all, just an observation.  

I'm running - probably run/walking - a 5k on Saturday.  It's the tri club's main fundraiser for the year - the Frozen Buns Run, and weather-wise, it looks like it might live up to it's name.  Temps should be around 25* at race time.  So far this winter we've been lucky though.  It hasn't been very cold (temp today is supposed to hit 60*) and it's only snowed once, about an inch total.  I actually don't mind the cold or snow as long as the wind isn't blowing.  It's the wind chills that usually get to me.  

Hope everyone is having a good week!
Janet

2016-01-14 9:48 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

Hi all ... I am a 59 year old "graying" athlete and would like to join the group.  I very much agree with Steve's opener in that for me  the "times get slower, the legs often feel heavier, weight inevitably creeps up and recovery times are longer."

STORY: I'm a 59 year old athlete who began the triathlon journey 5-6 years ago.  I sort of backed into triathlons via cycling.  I started cycling several years back mainly to help with weight loss and overall health improvement. One of my daughters married into a family who were big into cycling, albeit it was mainly mountain biking at the time.  Another son-in-law cycles as well and overall I decided to join the crowd; bought both mountain and road bikes and have been hooked on cycling ever since.  For me, I've competed in 15 or so triathlon, duathlon events; have been a long time participant in the BT forums and processes and enjoyed participation with some lively groups in the past. 

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 39 years with three daughters,3 sons-in-law and 4 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING: I recently started back training for the season ... typically 5-6 hours per week for all 3 disciplines.  Mostly, this is inside via trainers and dreadmills during the winter months.  I just had some work done on my road-ride and look forward to getting her set up on the trainer today.  Swimming and cycling are the preferred sports for me.  I do have to state ... I do loathe running, and so any help or encouragement with this is much appreciated.  The gym I go to includes group classes for stretching, pilates, pliyo, et al and I participate with these as well.  The stretching regimen seems to work well for me ... I'm not as sore and just helps keep me loose .

2016 PLANNED RACES: Azalea Sprint Tri, White Lake Oly, Mountains of Misery - Virginia (100 mile cycling event), "The Artie" 100k cycling event, Beach to Battleship HIM

WEIGHTLOSS - HEALTH:  These events have helped me with some weight loss, but moreso with overall health.  Still - I struggle with weight.  At 6'-1" and 250lbs, I'm one of these people who has trained like crazy; eats <2,000 calories per day, and loses 0, ZERO, nada weight.  I've been reading a lot about this over the past year; have some ideas which seem to work and plan to improve on this is 2016.  It is a long, testing journey.

IN GENERAL: I've been a BT participant for many years now and have participated in several mentored groups.  I like what I see here with the experience levels of Scott and Steve and other group members, and can benefit particularly given the general group encouragement, experiences, training tips, and other.

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the group!  We have a great bunch of people here that are happy to answer questions!  Look forward to getting to know you.

2016-01-14 10:03 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Dorm57

Hi Tony:

Welcome to the group. We've got a terrific group of triathletes with a lot of experience, including yours!. Any question you've got, ask away. You'll get a lot of solid feedback. Let us know how we can help you in your triathlon journey.

Steve

2016-01-14 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Tony, welcome to the group.  

I know what you mean about finding it hard to lose weight.  I tried to lose weight unsuccessfully for several years but then I added running to my Swim/Cycling and I started losing weight.  I swim and bike hard all I want and it just allows me to eat without gaining weight (except at Christmas) but when I run I lose weight.  So, running may not be my favourite either but I am planning to run a lot this year...just as soon as I get started again.  I guess we'll just have to find a way to make it fun.

2016-01-15 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but I'd like to join the group!  I need some motivation and some @$$ kicking to keep me going!  I Just turned 58 on Dec. 28th (Steve we are almost birthday twins!) so like Steve I'm always almost a whole year older in triathlon years, 59.  Last year in the 55-59 AG.

NAME:  Hilde (Hildebeast)

STORY: I started triathlon 7 years ago at the urging of a friend and have had some success, lots of bling!  I started as a swimmer and had done a lot of biking in my 20's, but running was (and still is) my nemesis.  I work at it, but it is always a challenge for me.  2 years ago in April I was diagnosed with a melanoma on the side of my knee.  Surgery "cured" me, but left me with a pretty significant scar and I was unable to train for quite awhile.  Up till then I was having a GREAT year, taking 1st AG in almost everything I signed up for.  I have not gotten back to that place since then and I am determined to get back to my formal glory!  I have been a BT mentor a few times, not that I am any expert, but I am really good at inspiring!  Janet was in one of my groups, so glad to see her still at it, most have gone by the wayside.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 32 years, two grown children with 3 grandkids.  They both live near us so we get to see them all the time.  Hubby is an on/off triathlete, really good at signing up for multiple races and then not going, irks me to death!  At least he understands the drive and obsession.  My mom passed away in September and my Dad is moving our way.  He's 86 and determined not to go into assisted living so I've been working on getting him into an apartment near our house.  After 61 years with my Mom, he's pretty lost.  He should be here next week.

CURRENT TRAINING:  After a pretty lackluster year in 2015, I started back at it on New Year's.  Starting with the one that needs the most work, running, and am now trying to fit in a couple of swims a week and I have a bike buddy that will do long rides with me on the weekend.  I live in Texas so I am able to run and bike pretty much all year long.  Lucky for me I LOVE outside runs in the dark early in the morning.  I'm also determined to fit in some strength training, both for training purposes and to tone up and hopefully speed up the ol' metabolism.

2016 PLANNED RACES:  I'm a Sprint gal at heart.  I have no aspirations to do any long course stuff, I'm quite happy with the short ones.  I'm looking a brand new series coming to my town in April!  (Major League Triathlon).   TriWaco is my fave, I've managed to do it every year, best result was 1st place Masters, but I haven't even placed the last couple of years.  I'm also training for a half-marathon in March, still on the fence if I will do it or not, I'd rather spend more time prepping all 3 sports for the April Tri.  At this point I'm just looking at getting back in shape, I really haven't even looked at the races out there.

WEIGHTLOSS - HEALTH:  Somehow since the melanoma I have gained 40-50 pounds and I am determined to get it off and get back down to race weight.  So far so good, doing My Fitness Pal and logging everything, and it's working.   

IN GENERAL:  I've gotten away from BT but still use the logs religiously.  I am an elementary music teacher, retirement is still a few years away but can't come soon enough.  I look forward to being in the group with like-minded people! 

2016-01-15 1:54 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but I'd like to join the group!  I need some motivation and some @$$ kicking to keep me going! I look forward to being in the group with like-minded people! 

Hi Hilde:

Welcome to the group. We've got a solid group with similar goals: we're all working to slow the ravages of being an athletes who want to perform like 30 year olds! Easier said than done.

We're glad to have you on join our group. BTW--you're really not late. The forums really start to get going in late January, so you're right on time.

Let us know how we can help.

Best,

Steve
2016-01-15 2:15 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Hi Steve, Scott, others. I hope we see a lot of familiar faces here.
I'll be in again this year.
My race report for the USATF Cross-Country Club Championships last December in San Francisco is here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

My training totals for 2015:
Bike miles 2154--most on the trainer
Run miles: 682
Swim miles: 110 (194,475 yards. The bigger number is more impressive, isn't is?)
Gym hours: 99.5
Total hours: 460
(Retirement is just great. I hope everybody here gets to experience it!

Races for 2016
May: Right 2Run 19k, honoring the 19th Amendment, and women's right to participate in sports. (I'm so old, I remember when we weren't allowed.)
June; Keuka Lake Triathlon- sprint
June: Broome County Triathlon-sprint
July: Nickel City or Oswego Tri, Intermediate (Olympic) distance
August: Cayuga Lake Tri- Intermediate distance
September: Barrelman Tri, half-iron distance, my first, in Niagara Falls. First, you have to go over the falls in a barrel. Just kidding.

Isn't triathlon great? It gives you 2 birthdays per year, Jan 1 & your real one. I forgot to have a party, but in USAT years I'm now 69. I never did any competitive sports as a youth (see comment above) or at all until age 62. In my book, anyone under age 60 IS a youth.

My new training motto, contributed by my husband: "Suck it up, champ."
Deb Bliss
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17514 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open